MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
1662244131325.png

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I was 1 fight away from winning a 9 fight parlay... The only one who lost was a fellow Canadian that I had the most confidence in (Jordain, not Makdessi).

member 51464

It was heading towards a Gane TKO anyway, but Gane definitely had a big strike to the back of the head of Tai. Bisping even mentioned it.

Why even have it be a foul on paper if it is seemingly never called?

To be clear, and to emphasize again, this strike did not change the way this fight was going. It is just an odd thing where it happens every once in a while but I don't recall anyone ever getting a warning about it, much less losing a point or having it impact a fight in any way.

Edit: Also, it was great to see a card go over so well in France. I love that the sport is growing all over and i hope we have more events there. Love an afternoon card rather than an ends sometime after midnight card.

Reactions: Chaels Arms

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
It was heading towards a Gane TKO anyway, but Gane definitely had a big strike to the back of the head of Tai. Bisping even mentioned it.

To be clear, and to emphasize again, this strike did not change the way this fight was going. It is just an odd thing where it happens every once in a while but I don't recall anyone ever getting a warning about it, much less losing a point or having it impact a fight in any way.
At that point about the only thing it could have been is either a DQ or NC. A point/warning is pointless. But yes, fouls in the heat of action should be called better (if they are even seen).

It might be the cynic in me, but I highly doubt they want to stop the fight in that moment. Fans would riot. The pressure towards the refs (direct or otherwise) is huge to not 'interfere' but it's like refs in hockey. By not calling infractions, you are interfering by not allowing the fight/game to be freely contested.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Was the UFC blatantly trying to not acknowledge Ngannou during this broadcast or am I being paranoid? He's there in the crowd, just beat the fighter who won the main event, is the current titleholder, has his own ties to Paris... and I don't think the broadcast mentioned or showed him once?

Reactions: Taytro

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario

Edit: Also, it was great to see a card go over so well in France. I love that the sport is growing all over and i hope we have more events there. Love an afternoon card rather than an ends sometime after midnight card.
I also think it's such a weird rule where it happens relatively frequently and the refs say to make sure you're touching the ear (or something). My guess is Goddard just didn't see the foul as he was trying to look at Tai's face to know when to jump in. Alternatively, maybe he saw it happen but determined it not to play a role in the outcome or causing any contributing damage during an ending sequence.

Either way, the rule is never enforced with equivalent punishment as other fouls IMO.

member 51464

Was the UFC blatantly trying to not acknowledge Ngannou during this broadcast or am I being paranoid? He's there in the crowd, just beat the fighter who won the main event, is the current titleholder, has his own ties to Paris... and I don't think the broadcast mentioned or showed him once?
They showed him and he got a big pop whilst wearing a hideous outfit.

At that point about the only thing it could have been is either a DQ or NC. A point/warning is pointless. But yes, fouls in the heat of action should be called better (if they are even seen).

It might be the cynic in me, but I highly doubt they want to stop the fight in that moment. Fans would riot. The pressure towards the refs (direct or otherwise) is huge to not 'interfere' but it's like refs in hockey. By not calling infractions, you are interfering by not allowing the fight/game to be freely contested.
Yes, you hit on the essence of the problem. It is often involved in a finishing sequence, so there is nothing to really do. Like stopping for 5 minutes to let Tai recover would be ridiculous, lol. It is just....an odd thing.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Yes, you hit on the essence of the problem. It is often involved in a finishing sequence, so there is nothing to really do. Like stopping for 5 minutes to let Tai recover would be ridiculous, lol. It is just....an odd thing.
About the only thing that could be done is to rectify it via challenge/appeal in the post-fight conference. It'd be no different than a guy pissing hot post match and then having the result overturned.

Sucks in the moment obviously, but in a sport like that there really aren't many good options. They can't reset and start over with a deduction because the damage is done.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

They’re always going to give the fighters some leniency on strikes that hit the back of the head when there’s a lot of mayhem and movement in the standup

The spirit of the rule imo is to prevent murder from happening in ground and pound

Reactions: Taytro

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
They’re always going to give the fighters some leniency on strikes that hit the back of the head when there’s a lot of mayhem and movement in the standup

The spirit of the rule imo is to prevent murder from happening in ground and pound
Precisely why you can knee, kick, punch, elbow, choke, and slam. But you better not use that 12-6.

• Haha
Reactions: 16Skippy and CDJ

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Props to Tuivasa, man. He damn near did it, but otherwise, it was the Ciryl Gane Show as expected.

Bobby Knuckles is too good, man. Speed, footwork, timing. He had everything working and he could do what he wanted with Vettori. He was pushing him back or slipping and countering. He was slowly picking him apart or was sitting down on his shots. With his punches or his kicks. He and Izzy are just on a different level than the rest of the division. Vettori is good, pretty well rounded, and tougher than hell, but he's too slow and doesn't have an elite skill to fall back on against the top guys.

Imavov-Buckley was a fun fight and glad they ended up putting it on the main card. I feel like we've seen it countless times, but promising guy controls and dominates a fight only to start gassing in R3 that causes questions about his cardio if he were in a 5 rounder.

Reactions: CDJ

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
While I understand the appeal of Tuivasa for many fans, I find it difficult to root for someone who's still embarrassingly flabby despite having been a UFC fighter for half a decade

What exactly are he and his trainers doing between fights?

If he committed himself to a year of hard training and healthy eating, he could fight at 205, which is likely his natural weight class

Also, I don't know who decides the UFC rankings, but having Tuivasa ahead of Blaydes just seems like someone's attempt within the UFC to capitalize on Tuivasa's popularity, and not based on merit

Tuivasa has beaten just 1 fighter ranked in the top 15

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I'm cool with never seeing Vettori fight again

He is so stiff, he looks like a Rock 'Em Sock 'Em robot

ezgif-5-1b4d6f066f.gif

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
While I understand the appeal of Tuivasa for many fans, I find it difficult to root for someone who's still embarrassingly flabby despite having been a UFC fighter for half a decade

What exactly are he and his trainers doing between fights?

If he committed himself to a year of hard training and healthy eating, he could fight at 205, which is likely his natural weight class

Also, I don't know who decides the UFC rankings, but having Tuivasa ahead of Blaydes just seems like someone's attempt within the UFC to capitalize on Tuivasa's popularity, and not based on merit

Tuivasa has beaten just 1 fighter ranked in the top 15

While they're not always based on merit.... Tuivasa is ranked number 3 because they used MMA math. He knocked Derrick Lewis out when Lewis was ranked number 3 so therefore he should be ranked no less than 3. Also Lewis almost send Blaydes into another realm with that uppercut so it's hard to argue that even though Blaydes would be favored over Tuivasa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad