GDT: UFC Fight Night: Chiesa vs. Lee

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Lol I thought that was poop when I watched it.

As for the stoppage in the main event, it was bad as what Yamasaki should've done was grab Chiesa's arm to see if he was limp instead of just outright calling it.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
It was an early stoppage, but I'd be shocked if Chiesa wasn't either tapping or out cold in two seconds. He had stopped fighting the choke and his hands were just sorta flapping aimlessly as if he was going limp. He's going around acting furious about this but the reality is there was probably a 99% chance that fight was over, and now he can say he deserves a rematch because of an early stoppage, so ironically the bad stoppage can only help him.

I don't know what Hendricks' problem is, but it honestly might be time to retire. If you're not disciplined enough to make a weight class 15 pounds above the one you should be fighting at, I find it hard to believe the discipline is gonna be there when it comes to your training. Boetsch absolutely dwarfed him.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Yamasaki stopped it maybe two seconds too soon, if that. I think Yamasaki's POV (haven't heard his side) was that once he stopped trying to fight off Lee's arm, he looked to be on the verge of going out. Chiesa was NOT getting out of that choke.

Dana treating this like it was a poorly called TKO as if Chiesa was actively defending himself only makes it worse.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Dana treating this like it was a poorly called TKO as if Chiesa was actively defending himself only makes it worse.

Meh. Dana always takes pains to drum up interest. People like seeing grudge matches. He'll probably get to schedule this fight again in an even better slot than it was in the first time.

The insane thing to me is that Chiesa is actually taking this to appeal with the commission. Someone from his camp needs to put their arm around that kid and talk to him. He lost that fight. He might get another shot. Get over it and move on. He's just embarrassed he lost in the way a lot of people predicted he'd win. Losing a little respect for him after this. It's just .....he wasn't even defending the choke. What was his expectation here?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Meh. Dana always takes pains to drum up interest. People like seeing grudge matches. He'll probably get to schedule this fight again in an even better slot than it was in the first time.

The insane thing to me is that Chiesa is actually taking this to appeal with the commission. Someone from his camp needs to put their arm around that kid and talk to him. He lost that fight. He might get another shot. Get over it and move on. He's just embarrassed he lost in the way a lot of people predicted he'd win. Losing a little respect for him after this. It's just .....he wasn't even defending the choke. What was his expectation here?

An even better slot than.. a main event? Unlikely.

I don't think Dana does it to drum up interest, he is just completely unfiltered and speaks like a fan.

I do think the stoppage was a bit early, but I agree with you in that he just needs to move on.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
An even better slot than.. a main event? Unlikely.

I don't think Dana does it to drum up interest, he is just completely unfiltered and speaks like a fan.

I do think the stoppage was a bit early, but I agree with you in that he just needs to move on.

The main event of a television card is certainly not something as noteworthy as having your fight on the main card of the PPV. I don't and won't pretend to know how these things work financially, but I would imagine that fighters on PPV cards have negotiated portions of PPV buys into their fight deals from hearing previous fighters disclose small details. Probably not as easy to get paid that way on televised cards. Don't get me wrong, headlining a television card is a pretty big deal but I don't know if it's as financially lucrative as even getting a mid card fight on the PPV portion of the show.

And don't mistake Dana's outrage as without purpose. He's too smart of a promoter to just go up there and blather if it didn't work to his interest. The "he got screwed last fight so let's do it again!" angle is one of the easier sells in the business.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The main event of a television card is certainly not something as noteworthy as having your fight on the main card of the PPV. I don't and won't pretend to know how these things work financially, but I would imagine that fighters on PPV cards have negotiated portions of PPV buys into their fight deals from hearing previous fighters disclose small details. Probably not as easy to get paid that way on televised cards. Don't get me wrong, headlining a television card is a pretty big deal but I don't know if it's as financially lucrative as even getting a mid card fight on the PPV portion of the show.

And don't mistake Dana's outrage as without purpose. He's too smart of a promoter to just go up there and blather if it didn't work to his interest. The "he got screwed last fight so let's do it again!" angle is one of the easier sells in the business.

Only a small percentage of fighters get money off the PPV - champs and a few others. They would get paid around the same for either. Headlining a TV card is much better than being a lower fight PPV card for the long-term promotion of the fighter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad