GDT: UFC Fight Night: Chiesa vs. Lee

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Great debut for Reyes. UFC needs all the help they can get at LHW.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Hendricks is slowly but surely entering that territory where I no longer enjoy watching him win or lose.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
**** that head kick was nasty, it caught Johny right in the back of the head. Johny can take a shot

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Johnny should just be the Roy Nelson of 205, load up that left and go huntin

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I feel for Chiesa because he didn't tap or go out and there's no guarantee he would've prior to the end of the round but I think that was almost just as bad for Lee. He had that choke in deep and it looked like it was only a matter of time. Now, instead of an emphatic win over a highly ranked guy, there's controversy and he may have to give him a rematch. Bad ending aside though, Lee looked great and is on his way to becoming a star.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Sad how much Hendricks has fallen. Totally different fighter after USADA.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Lee has 0 striking. He has a huge reach and trains at Mayweather gym and yet he can't strike for ****. He really needs to work on it, if he wants to be a threat in the division.

Hendricks needs to move to Bellator. And Chiesa was out; don't see any controversy.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Chiesa not tapping there was a technicality. He couldn't get out of that position and was hoping to hang on until the bell. Plus, even though he successfully defended that choke once before, Lee got that one in DEEP and it looked like Chiesa went limp because he stopped hand fighting the choke. That was why Mario thought he went out. It wasn't a good stoppage by any stretch of the imagination, but it wasn't highway robbery either. It was just a fight that was ending in 10 seconds that got ended in 5 and Chiesa was awake enough to protest. Lee was clean under the chin, Chiesa had nothing by way of defense and wasn't resisting the choke. A guy with a RNC like Lee has finishes that 10/10 times. I actually feel bad for Lee because he was brutalizing Chiesa from that back mount and that would have felt like a much more emphatic win without the stoppage.

But here's the thing. We were just talking about the responsibility of protecting the fighters in the Tim Hague thread. Chiesa was locked into a choke, looked glazed over, and his hands weren't actively working on defense. He looked unconscious. Mario would want that one back, but Chiesa probably can't in good conscience say he had a chance of escaping that one. I haven't heard any post fight press, but I would imagine once he gets to the back and looks at the tape he'll probably come to terms with it. He allowed himself to get put in the worst kind of spot.

Nurmagomedov

Apr 13, 2015
I have zero problems with Yamasaki stopping that. 30 seconds left with a deep RNC from a guy who's finished now his last three with that exact choke. Chiesa was done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad