GDT: UFC 298: Volkanovski vs. Topuria

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Exactly like he said he would. Topuria is ridiculous.

Gotta feel for Volk.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Islam cracked Volks chin last time out and it looks like that will be an ongoing issue since he's not getting any younger.

Great performance from both guys but it didn't look like too big of a stage for Ilia. He was calm, collected, and composed. This opens up a ton of options for the division and makes it more exciting.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Wild to think Topiuria is 10 years younger than Volk and has been training for this longer. Ilia been training for 20 years, since he was 7 and Volks been training for 13 years, since he was 22.

Going to be hard pressed to find someone who has been at the game longer than him.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Really feel for Volk. Hated hearing about the tough place he talked about being in with the drinking and such. Hopefully he handles this better.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
That's a tough one. His record says 'of course' but he just had his lights shut out in pretty devastating fashion.
I think it depends on what sort of turnaround Topuria wants and how much time off Volk wants given he's now been finished twice in a row.

Holloway booked for April leaves him unavailable for a while, so likely the winner of Yair/Ortega makes sense if Volk wants time and Topuria wants to fight.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
2 knockout losses in a row.

Volk should take lots of time off
He should, but if the division moves on, he's probably not getting a rematch in his return fight. So then he'd have to win 1. He could be pushing 37 by the time he gets back to a title shot...if he gets back to a title shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1specter

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
1708237526432.png

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
It's a tough sport. Volk found himself in an almost identical exchange earlier in the fight and clinched Ilia's head, this time he got sloppy and threw an off balance sort of counter hook and paid the ultimate price. Easy for me to say sitting on a couch but you gotta know the second you get in a phone booth exchange with Ilia you gotta either clinch, or cover up and circle out.

Volk is certainly deserving of an immediate rematch, and this probably isn't even fair, but I feel like the Islam loss hurts his case. It's just bad optics. He's the greatest FW of all-time, but he's coming off two short finishes.

I had a feeling Whittaker would get rocked but win a 29-28. Didn't think it would be that perfect and that flush of a kick though. Unbelievable he was able to survive that.

Merab really feels like Khabib at 135. I'm not a big O'Malley fan so I hope after he beats Chito we see him and Merab.

Obviously Ilia's Conor call-out won't come to fruition, but it popped into my head as well just because they both have power that 45ers just don't possess. I can't see Ilia losing to anyone outside of a Khabib/Merab type fighter.

This was the best card for me in quite some time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1specter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad