GDT: UFC 297: Strickland vs. du Plessis/ONE 165

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Doing some research on Movsar-Allen. Allen hasn’t faced any grapplers in bit but when he ran into Mads Burnell in 2018 he was taken down 6 times (before front choking him lol). Amirkhani got him down a few times too

Makes me think Movsar might be able to get this one to the ground

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
I don't particularly like either Strickland or DDP. I have seen more of DDP fighting though. He's dangerous as all hell. Strickland will have to be very, very careful. I'm honestly not sure who will walk away victorious.

I am leaning towards Strickland if it goes beyond round 2.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
This could be an early fight of the year candidate, I expect an all out war. DDP is more likely to finish Strickland early, but I could see this one being a slug-it-out battle until the very end. Maybe Strickland can even get him in the championship rounds.

Gut says a close decision in an absolutely wild fight.

Cards that are slept on like this tend to deliver.

Nakatomi

Dec 26, 2022
If it goes to the ground, is t he consensus that it would favor Dricus? He seems to be pretty slick with some of his judo moves so I could see him having an opportunity to make that happen. He

Reactions: Taytro and CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
If it goes to the ground, is t he consensus that it would favor Dricus? He seems to be pretty slick with some of his judo moves so I could see him having an opportunity to make that happen. He
Strickland is sneaky on the ground but I think Dricus is a lot stronger and would be able to maintain top position if he got it

Reactions: Taytro

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
I've been a fan of Strickland since long before his war with Adesanya and the media circus about his dog. Strickland is legitimately funny and down to earth. He just knows how to sell fights and garner attention.

It's strange because I was a DDP fan too up until this exchange. He is a great fighter and is usually classy and genuine. But saying to someone their dead father raped them is some of the lowest scumbag shit you can pull in a war of words. Sean O'Malley should be ashamed of himself for saying that too. Strickland's story has come out many times and it wasn't the case but he was still abused and went through hell. I do not blame him for wanting to kill the man there's some lines you don't cross and they were crossed.

It's going to be interesting to see if the rage and hatred affects Strickland's approach and his solid boxing and distance game. I want him to get the finish and throw the division into chaos. DDP winning then facing Adesanya is too simple. Keep the storylines going keep the intensity fierce and fight honorably. This is the best the UFC has been since the McGregor days.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I've been a fan of Strickland since long before his war with Adesanya and the media circus about his dog. Strickland is legitimately funny and down to earth. He just knows how to sell fights and garner attention.
Semantics but Strickland vs Adesanya was not a war, it was a game of tag where one guy really didn't want to get tagged but he got chased around and tagged quite a few times and then went home.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Semantics but Strickland vs Adesanya was not a war, it was a game of tag where one guy really didn't want to get tagged but he got chased around and tagged quite a few times and then went home.
I was referring to the back and forth in the media before the fight. Strickland revealed some very disturbing stuff about Adesanya and it was an entertaining back and forth to see unfold online.

Also it was a one sided boxing display. Strickland stuck to his game plan and embarrassed the former champ.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

It's strange because I was a DDP fan too up until this exchange. He is a great fighter and is usually classy and genuine. But saying to someone their dead father raped them is some of the lowest scumbag shit you can pull in a war of words. Sean O'Malley should be ashamed of himself for saying that too. Strickland's story has come out many times and it wasn't the case but he was still abused and went through hell. I do not blame him for wanting to kill the man there's some lines you don't cross and they were crossed.

It's going to be interesting to see if the rage and hatred affects Strickland's approach and his solid boxing and distance game. I want him to get the finish and throw the division into chaos. DDP winning then facing Adesanya is too simple. Keep the storylines going keep the intensity fierce and fight honorably. This is the best the UFC has been since the McGregor days.
He literally just broke kayfabe and killed any heat the fight had like a day or two ago, idk about that one

Reactions: Nakatomi

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
From fighting in the stands to that lol. Did he say thanks for being respectful? Shrug , I don't see the harm in them doing this. The fight is still going to be good.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
From fighting in the stands to that lol. Did he say thanks for being respectful? Shrug , I don't see the harm in them doing this. The fight is still going to be good.
At the end of the day it will still be a good fight- it’s a lot of money and publicity they are fighting over. Thats a powerful motivator. There just isn’t any real heat there anymore and I think the fight would have more excitement to the casual viewer if he had waited until after the fight to do that publicly

For me as a die hard i was gonna be stoked for the fight no matter what lol

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Longer this fight goes I gotta think it favors Strickland. I know DDP got the nose surgery but we still haven't seen his gas tank tested cause his fight vs Whittaker ended at 2:23 of the 2nd round. We all know Strickland can dance for days so if DDP looks good but doesn't end it early might get good live odds on Strickland... but what do I know

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
My biggest issue with this card is the price lol. But I guess the positive is if they know they can get away with milking people this much they might come back sooner?

Yea other than the main event it's pretty weak. I'd rather another relevant fight or two instead of shoehorning Canadian fighters on the main card. But all that said I'm still looking forward to it.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
My biggest issue with this card is the price lol. But I guess the positive is if they know they can get away with milking people this much they might come back sooner?

Yea other than the main event it's pretty weak. I'd rather another relevant fight or two instead of shoehorning Canadian fighters on the main card. But all that said I'm still looking forward to it.

How much is a PPV now? $75?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad