GDT: UFC 297: Strickland vs. du Plessis/ONE 165

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
i had it 3-2 Strickland (1, 2, 5), but i think it was close enough that it was essentially a coin flip that could've gone either way. Du Plessis did a phenomenal job of negating Strickland's forward pressure game though imo

Reactions: CDJ

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
As mentioned, can't argue with any of those scorecards. I'm a "you gotta decisively beat the champ" guy, so I gave 1, 3, and 5 to Strickland, but 2 and 3 were very close. Strickland clearly took 1 and 5 and DDP very clearly took 4. Probably more interesting to see DDP-Izzy as opposed to Strickland-Izzy 2 so I'm fine with that as well.

I think DDP's body structure is fooling people a bit. He's got a short neck and long torso, and Strickland stands very upright, so Strickland seemed much taller in the cage, but they're the same height.

I saw a few people mention Chimaev both being bigger and running through DDP. Disagree on both counts. I actually think DDP disposes of Chimaev without TOO much trouble. Chimaev looked like an absolute killer til the Burns fight. He very nearly lost that, would've likely lost to Usman if that was a 5-rounder, and we learned/confirmed tonight that DDP has cardio for days.

I think you also have to give the power edge to DDP, and I'm sure many of you saw/heard that video floating around of DDP beating an entire BJJ team, so it's not like Chimaev is gonna be able to dominate on the ground. I actually hope this fight happens because Chimaev's hype could keep the line pretty close.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Pretty bad PPV overall and a bit of a tough night for Canadian MMA.

Jasudavicus and Robertson are solid but their stand up will limit them from being true contenders. But the men other than Sidey...oof. It's not even that they lost, but how they lost. Gordon, Lainesse and Malott just turning over and giving up like that was a bad look. I thought Woodson worked Jourdain, to give the latter 2 rounds was lunacy to me but at least the right man won in the end. Barriault, Katona as meh as it gets.

I never want to see MBS fight again. IQ of a pea and fighting like that in the opportunity of a lifetime? Brutal.

Not to be all negative though, happy for Pennington and DDP for doing what they needed to do. The Sidey/Tavaras fight was really fun as well.

Edit: Forgot about Allen/Evloev. That was a good matchup.

Last edited:
Reactions: m9

Killahpunk

Legend
Jun 29, 2009
Eastern Canada
This event could be in the running for worst UFC PPV of the year by the end of 2024. I thought both championship fights did not really showcase much other then DDP showing he can go a full 5 rounds. The rest of the card was also underwhelming lacking exciting finishes.
Last but not least the pacing of this card was terrible, living in Eastern Canada the card didn't end till 2:30am local.

Reactions: VanillaCoke and m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Awful card on paper, awful card when the fights played out, and absolutely awful pacing dragging out those first 4 fights. Get your shit together ufc

Reactions: BobColesNasalCavity

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Dana was asked in the post fight presser who DDP's next opponent will likely be. He said they would announce it this week.

Immediately after, Dana was asked if Izzy would fight this year. He said they would announce it this week.

He also was asked to clarify Conor's situation and if he would be fighting in June. Dana said 'no' and then babbled on a bit. The reporter asked if June was a possibility to which Dana said "I don't know'. So....not at all clarifying lol.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Made alot of money on DDP at underdog odds!

Lost of it on MBS fighting like dogshit..

Awful boring card felt like sparring sessions for 4+ hours, thank god there was lots of other sports on yesterday in-between fights.

• Love
Reactions: Taytro

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think the UFC would have loved Strickland to be the 300 headliner. DDP/Adesanya heat feels like a long time ago.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

Does Dana have brain damage? That was easily the 2nd best fight on the entire card

What a f***ing weirdo and what an asshole

Reactions: 16Skippy

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Does Dana have brain damage? That was easily the 2nd best fight on the entire card

What a f***ing weirdo and what an asshole

I don't really care about comparing it to the rest of a garbage card, but basically every other fight was either for a belt or had a Canadian in it so I can see the energy being a bit lower for it cageside.

And honestly I thought it was nothing special either.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I don't really care about comparing it to the rest of a garbage card, but basically every other fight was either for a belt or had a Canadian in it so I can see the energy being a bit lower for it cageside.

And honestly I thought it was nothing special either.
It was a perfectly good fight

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Why are all the matchups for DDP not Strickland? Everyone who's talking next opponent is saying Izzy or Chimeav. I know Strickland just got the belt and lost it but he beat down the long time champion easily and lost by split decision. Not sure why Izzy should get a shot at DDP when he lost 2 of his last 3 and already got an immediate rematch. If the fight is in South Africa then sure you can sell it with both of them but if it's in Vegas then Strickland is the draw even if he's not the champ.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It was a perfectly good fight

Ya, maybe. It was probably fine. I don't find Evloev interesting to watch at all.

I think I was just overtired or something for this card. The football and hockey I was watching were great and I thought this card was so bad in comparison.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Why are all the matchups for DDP not Strickland? Everyone who's talking next opponent is saying Izzy or Chimeav. I know Strickland just got the belt and lost it but he beat down the long time champion easily and lost by split decision. Not sure why Izzy should get a shot at DDP when he lost 2 of his last 3 and already got an immediate rematch. If the fight is in South Africa then sure you can sell it with both of them but if it's in Vegas then Strickland is the draw even if he's not the champ.
All the matchups are for DDP because he is the champion! Izzy gets the hype because he’s a bigger star and there is major beef between the two. It’s a more compelling fight than anything that can be made at 185 imo

Strickland didn’t even defend it once, he doesn’t deserve an immediate rematch. The good news for him is that he probably just needs to beat one of Costa/Whittaker to get another look. Dana himself said no immediate rematch I believe

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Because that fight wasn't entertaining enough to warrant an immediate sequel

Neither guy impressed, but at least DDP was trying to force the action

Strickland seemed content to just throw jabs all fight... it wasn't the kind of performance that deserves the next shot at the title

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
I think the UFC would have loved Strickland to be the 300 headliner. DDP/Adesanya heat feels like a long time ago.

I saw a quote on twitter earlier from DDP basically saying 300 sounds nice but he's pretty banged up right now so I don't know if he's gonna take it. I know the UFC is good at bullying fighters into fights but didn't he turn down Izzy this year because he was injured which led to Strickland getting the shot so he has a history of not caring.
I had Strickland winning but it wasn't even close to a robbery or controversial... We need to get away from the champs getting auto rematches in general unless its someone like Izzy or Usman who had been on long time runs. I'm like the only Aljo fan around and I didn't agree with him getting a rematch. The only one on the roster right now who I would want to get one would be Volk but even then it depends how the fight goes. Izzy getting another immediate title shot is insane to me but we all know it is happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad