GDT: UFC 292: Sterling vs. O'Malley/PFL 8

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Holy crap the legendary pacing issues were very obvious.... there was times a fight would end and I would go wait on a big bathroom line grab a beer and come back to hear the announcements.

But wow that was pretty fun. I really liked how the fighters walk out through the crowd and then go around to make the walk to the cage. The walkway was right in front of us was pretty cool. Got to see some big names in Gordon Ryan and Jon Jones cornering people and a bunch of ufc guys in the crowd around us like Randy Brown and Frankie Edgar. It definitely has a regional promotion feel to it though that could 100% be the smaller venue. Maybe once they bring in some people form Bellator they get the in house production under control.

The playoff match ups were one sided in the books and even more one sided in the cage. After 3 straight decisions I was getting nervous 7 fights would take 8 hours.

Attachments

• IMG_2116.jpeg
    IMG_2116.jpeg
    166.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2127.jpeg
    IMG_2127.jpeg
    172.3 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: m9 and MMC

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I've had a hard time trying to come up with a realistic way for O'Malley to win. Obviously he can if it stays standing but that's not something I see happening. If Aljo wants the fight on the ground then that's exactly where it'll go and I don't think O'Malley has a chance once it gets there. I'm going Aljo by sub.

I've doubted Lemos before and will continue to do so here in the co-main.

I find Garry's shtick annoying but he's a damn good fighter. Magny's tough but he's in that gate keeper role at this point and I don't see this going particularly well for him. Maybe Magny can use his reach advantage and keep it at distance but Garry's too good, quick, and powerful to let that happen IMO.

Vera/Munhoz could be a fun one.

Nice to see Weidman make it back after the injury. I'm going with the "if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything" approach, especially after hearing his comments about the UFC disrespecting him by putting him on the prelims. Lets see if he's able to beat Tavares and pick up his second win in the last five years.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
They had another veteran TUF? I mean, good for these guys getting a shot but what's the point of a 35 year old coming to the UFC from TUF?

Lets go Katona.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Brad Katona was on TUF like 5 years or something wasn't he?

Is Cody Gibson Darren Till's illegitimate son?

They had another veteran TUF? I mean, good for these guys getting a shot but what's the point of a 35 year old coming to the UFC from TUF?

Lets go Katona.
I think the gimmick this year was veterans vs. up and comers.

Reactions: CDJ and Avs_19

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
I probably won't be able to watch the main card until Monday, so hopefully I can avoid spoilers until then.

Agree with everyone about Sterling-O'Malley. O'Malley will have a striking advantage but Sterling will get him down eventually and go to work.

Zhang-Lemos should be good. Zhang is the favorite as she should be, but Lemos can crack. I won't be surprised if she rocks Zhang at some point.

Good to see Weidman comeback and against an appropriate level fighter. But you just know that if he was being feed to Bo Nikal or Khamzat it would be co-main lol

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
That was a fun fight. Left it all out there.

I've gone from asking why one of these guys are getting a UFC contract to saying they should both get one.

Reactions: CDJ and Taytro

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Holy hell what a fight. I have Katona but can see it go either way. I think Katona had the harder shots in the 2/3 but had less output. Very fun.

Edit: Output was actually in favour of Katona total but he had less significant strikes in rounds 1 and 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad