Heavyweight bout: Derrick Lewis vs. Marcos Rogerio de Lima
Lightweight bout: Tony Ferguson vs. Bobby Green
Welterweight bout: Michael Chiesa vs. Kevin Holland

PRELIMINARY CARD (ABC, TSN5)

Welterweight bout: Gabriel Bonfim vs. Trevin Giles
Middleweight bout: Roman Kopylov vs. Claudio Ribeiro
Welterweight bout: Jake Matthews vs. Darrius Flowers
Flyweight bout: CJ Vergara vs. Vinicius Salvador

EARLY PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN+, UFC Fight Pass)

Welterweight bout: Matthew Semelsberger vs. Uros Medic
Women's Flyweight bout: Miranda Maverick vs. Priscila Cachoeira​

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I've got something to do Saturday, but hopefully I'm home in time for the main card. Maybe not the most relevant fights outside of the top 2, but big names and they should all be fun.

Poirier-Gaethje - I know some people thought the original BMF thing was lame (I might have too) but at least looking back on it, it was kind of cool to see Nate make the UFC do something they typically don't like to do. But now, the UFC has co-opted it. At least they picked the 2 most deserving guys in the UFC to fight for it, I guess.

I can't wait for this fight. After Poirier-Conor 2, I really wanted Poirier to win the LW belt because a) I like Poirier and b) It would have set up this fight for the LW belt. There is absolutely zero chance this fight can disappoint barring an injury or eye poke or something like that (*knockonwood). I'm pulling for Poirier, but I have no idea who wins. I will say I think the "Gaethje is a different fighter" thing is a bit overstated. Yes, it's true he doesn't take as much damage now as he did back then, but taking that damage allowed him to apply pressure and deliver damage of his own. If he gets into a more technical kickboxing fight with Poirier, is that necessarily a good thing? Maybe, I guess we'll see.

Jan-Pereira - Clear path to victory for Jan is to take him down like he did to Izzy. He does have a few sub wins in the UFC. I think he'd be smart to go for 1 here because standing with Pereira is playing with fire. I could see Jan winning by KO, too, though. Pereira was knocked out cold less than 4 months ago, moving up in weight, and Jan does have 1 punch KO power. Pereira is such a monster, though. Toss up in my mind. Head says Jan since he has more ways to win, but gut says Pereira.

Wonderboy-other Pereira - In his prime, this would be easy for me to pick Wonderboy. Just the far superior technician who doesn't put himself into danger very often. I think Pereira would struggle to land, get desperate, and then walk into something. At 40 years old, it's a much tougher pick, though, but I'm still gonna go with Wonderboy. Should be a fun one.

Ferguson-Green - If Tony's going to fight, this is at least an appropriate matchup IMO. Big enough name that it's not sad, but not the top guys he's been fighting and losing to for the last 3 years (minus Nate). Despite some of the results, Green still looks good, though. I expect him to put it on Tony.

Chiesa-Holland - Has quietly been almost a 2 year layoff for Chiesa. I've never been much of a believer, but he does have some big name wins on his resume (Magny, RDA, Condit, Dariush, Jim Miller). Holland's TDD sucks which could be a problem against a grappler like Chiesa, but he should be the much bigger guy so it might be hard to hold him down. He's also a Lutter black belt and despite being known for his grappling, Chiesa has been submitted 4 times in the UFC. More active, size advantage, more ways to win, I'm going with Holland.

It's a little bit sad to see Lewis on the prelims and not even the featured fight on the prelims.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Yeah I'm going to miss some prelims as well unfortunately, but hoping to be back for the main card.

Main event is a tough one to pick. I favor Poirier but Gaethje looked excellent vs Fiziev and that win is more impressive to me than anything Poirier has done recently. Great fight.

Really hoping for Pereira to beat Blachowicz but I think that's not the likely scenario. I think Jan subs him.

The other three main card fights are all pretty fun as well.

Bonfim v Giles is a great fight. Giles only recent losses are to DDP & a future top contender in Michael Morales, so this is an extremely tough test for Bonfim to see if he's truly an elite prospect or not.

I really hope Derrick Lewis can bounce back here. I think it's a good style matchup for him so if he can't win this one then he's probably cooked.

The rest of the undercard is filled with solid fights/fighters but nothing I'm too worried about missing. One exception is Uros Medic whose an intriguing guy with his one loss being to Jalin Turner.

Reactions: Taytro

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Fun fact, since their first fight, Poirier and Gaethje are both 6-2, have a win over Chandler, 4 stoppage wins, and lost to Khabib and Oliveira both by submission in title fights. Both are 34, too.

Crazy how similar these guys are. I think Poirier's strength of schedule during that time was better and I think he is more well rounded, so I'm starting to lean towards him, but still expecting a 50/50 war.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Fun fact, since their first fight, Poirier and Gaethje are both 6-2, have a win over Chandler, 4 stoppage wins, and lost to Khabib and Oliveira both by submission in title fights. Both are 34, too.

Crazy how similar these guys are. I think Poirier's strength of schedule during that time was better and I think he is more well rounded, so I'm starting to lean towards him, but still expecting a 50/50 war.
Yeah, they had a great fight. Poirer despite wining, took a lot of damage in that fight IRRC. I believe Gaethje said later, "yeah he won, but I was fine after the fight, while he spent a lot of time in the hospital afterwards."

I can't wait to see this one. Not really rooting one way or another, as I like both fighters a lot.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Yeah, they had a great fight. Poirer despite wining, took a lot of damage in that fight IRRC. I believe Gaethje said later, "yeah he won, but I was fine after the fight, while he spent a lot of time in the hospital afterwards."

I can't wait to see this one. Not really rooting one way or another, as I like both fighters a lot.
Uh huh.

Poirier's legs got chewed up, but both of those guys were beat to shit in that fight.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Uh huh.

Poirier's legs got chewed up, but both of those guys were beat to shit in that fight.
What do you see for this fight? (that's for anyone to answer)

I'm thinking more of the same. Not sure who wins, but lots of action.

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
What do you see for this fight?

I'm thinking more of the same. Not sure who wins, but lots of action.
For sure it's going to be all action, but either guy could win.

Compared to the first fight, I think Gaethje will use better footwork and defense than shelling up and walking forward. Probably still lean heavily on the leg kicks. Poirier I think will be more of the same, but I think Poirier's boxing is better to begin with. I'm leaning more and more towards Poirier, but I think it's still going to be a war.

Reactions: td_ice

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
(BMF Championship) Lightweight bout: Dustin Poirier vs. Justin Gaethje
Light Heavyweight bout: Jan Blachowicz vs. Alex Pereira
Welterweight bout: Stephen Thompson vs. Michel Pereira
Lightweight bout: Tony Ferguson vs. Bobby Green
Welterweight bout: Michael Chiesa vs. Kevin Holland

PRELIMINARY CARD (ABC, TSN5)

Heavyweight bout: Derrick Lewis vs. Marcos Rogerio de Lima

This is my $20 parlay

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Wonderboy statement:

Was looking forward to this fight a lot but I like this move by Wonderboy. Pereira is big for 170 already has the size advantage, allowing him to fight 4 pounds over gives him more unnecessary advantages. Wonderboy probably banked on using Michels tough weight cut in the fight. At the end of the day it was Pereira's responsibility to make weight, at this point in Wonderboys career he needs to look out for himself instead of agreeing to silly conditions that put his physical health at risk all in the name or making the UFC a couple more bucks. Wonderboy did as he agreed to, Pereira didn't, really hope we get to see it later.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Was looking forward to this fight a lot but I like this move by Wonderboy. Pereira is big for 170 already has the size advantage, allowing him to fight 4 pounds over gives him more unnecessary advantages. Wonderboy probably banked on using Michels tough weight cut in the fight. At the end of the day it was Pereira's responsibility to make weight, at this point in Wonderboys career he needs to look out for himself instead of agreeing to silly conditions that put his physical health at risk all in the name or making the UFC a couple more bucks. Wonderboy did as he agreed to, Pereira didn't, really hope we get to see it later.
My stance, was looking forward to it, but I understand why wonderboy is doing this.

Reactions: Taytro

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Bonfim/Matthews/Green/Polish Power +337

Jan is one of the best leg kick checkers in the sport and I saw what he did to Izzy, I think he does the same thing to Pereira and this time he only needs to do it for 3 rounds. The other 3 *should* be easy hits

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Bonfim/Matthews/Green/Polish Power +337

Jan is one of the best leg kick checkers in the sport and I saw what he did to Izzy, I think he does the same thing to Pereira and this time he only needs to do it for 3 rounds. The other 3 *should* be easy hits
I don't think Jan's path to victory is a technical stand up fight here. I think he can try to bully Pereira on the ground, or out muscle him on the feet/clinch. But if it becomes a technical point fighting match, I think that favours Pereira.

Didn't you hear what Tony said??? He feels like hes in his physical prime, he's the best fighter he's ever been. How is Bobby Green an easy hit vs the best Tony Ferguson we've ever seen?? /s

But seriously I want Tony to win so bad. I can't stand to see his head get rattled around anymore.

Reactions: CDJ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad