GDT: UFC 282: Blachowicz vs. Ankalaev/Bellator 289: Stots vs. Sabatello

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I missed all of it. Fight was bad and I thought for sure Ankalaev won so I just turned it off. I’ll watch it once the UFC uploads it.

Man, forgot all about him. He’s the biggest loser here if there’s an immediate rematch.

I don't think they book a rematch. They wanted Glover/Ankalaev anyway so will probably just do that.

Reactions: Avs_19

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Also, f*** Rogan for making Jan feel like he had to say he lost the fight. How many times has Rogan said "It's really hard to score a fight while you're calling it" and then gone on to adamantly say who won a close fight?

Yeah, looking at it you're right, it's not as bad as I thought too. Especially considering that if Derek Cleary gave Jan round 3, the outcome is still a draw and nothing changes.

I still think round 1 was Ankalaev but if all 3 judges agree that it wasn't, then it's hard for me to argue.
If Cleary gave R3 to Jan as he should have, then it would have been a split decision win for Jan.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Haven’t heard the translator yet but so far my favourite moment is the cornerman in the back having no idea what’s going on and raising his and the other cornerman’s arms to celebrate as Buffer is announcing the draw. Incredible.

• Haha
Reactions: I am not exposed

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Jamahal Hill! Let’s go!

Dana hated this main event even more than I did.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Also, f*** Rogan for making Jan feel like he had to say he lost the fight. How many times has Rogan said "It's really hard to score a fight while you're calling it" and then gone on to adamantly say who won a close fight?

If Cleary gave R3 to Jan as he should have, then it would have been a split decision win for Jan.
Agree with your first point entirely.

But no it wouldn't, Cleary scored it 46-48 for Ankalaev, D'Amato scored it 47-47, and Bell 48-47 for Jan. If Cleary gave round 3 to Jan, his card would change to 47-47. So there would be 2 47-47 cards (Both would have given Jan the first 3 rounds, Ankalaev 4/5 with a 10-8 fifth round) and the final card would be 48-47 for Jan. That changes the decision to a majority draw instead of a split draw. Virtually the same outcome as what we got.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Some of the most disrespectful shit I've ever seen.

Joe was also woefully wrong about Jan vs Adesanya too. He still parrot same bullshit to this day that Adesanya outstruck Jan when it's completely wrong.

Reactions: Chaels Arms

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
How anyone feel bad for Ankalaev? Dude actively refuses to finish fights so it’s 100 percent on him for letting it go to the judges.

I love Hill but I think he’s going to get washed by Glover. Santos gave him a hell of a time in the ground. What do you think Glover will do to him?

Sexy card all of a sudden

Plz plz plz put Paddy in there with Ilia
The UFC will NEVER let that happen

Reactions: CDJ

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Agree with your first point entirely.

But no it wouldn't, Cleary scored it 46-48 for Ankalaev, D'Amato scored it 47-47, and Bell 48-47 for Jan. If Cleary gave round 3 to Jan, his card would change to 47-47. So there would be 2 47-47 cards (Both would have given Jan the first 3 rounds, Ankalaev 4/5 with a 10-8 fifth round) and the final card would be 48-47 for Jan. That changes the decision to a majority draw instead of a split draw. Virtually the same outcome as what we got.
My bad. Didn't realize he gave R5 as a 10-8, too.

Reactions: Taytro

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I missed all of it. Fight was bad and I thought for sure Ankalaev won so I just turned it off. I’ll watch it once the UFC uploads it.
Same I went to bed and now I'm reading all this... lol. It was just boring and I didn't believe Paddy won either but oh well. How many decisions went to the judges yesterday? Not many..

Also, Paddy took an immediate shot at Ariel in the post-fight with Joe.

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
That mop is gonna be sparked the first time he fights a guy with average striking

Same I went to bed and now I'm reading all this... lol. It was just boring and I didn't believe Paddy won either but oh well. How many decisions went to the judges yesterday? Not many..

WOAT post fight speech ever, made him less of a star and the Ariel line bombed

I’ve decided to go all in on hating that stupid looking mouth breather

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Till-du Plessis FOTN.
Everybody who got a finish got a POTN bonus. There were a lot of finishes.
They also gave Morono his win bonus.

Mr. "I don't make fights the night of the fight" making Glover-Hill for the title in Brazil is funny. Not officially done yet, but no reason to think it wouldn't get done. Poor Anthony Smith.

Reactions: CDJ

h2

Mar 26, 2002

First time I can remember Joe doing that was GSP vs Hendricks. Drove me nuts.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Till-du Plessis FOTN.
Everybody who got a finish got a POTN bonus. There were a lot of finishes.
They also gave Morono his win bonus.

Mr. "I don't make fights the night of the fight" making Glover-Hill for the title in Brazil is funny. Not officially done yet, but no reason to think it wouldn't get done. Poor Anthony Smith.

Really? Weirdest fight. At least they didn't give it to Paddy.

Just the final two fights.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Luke Thomas did a great job breaking down the Paddy/Gordon fight. First, going off on the commission/Crosby in general. Then breaking down what scorecards would be acceptable, including like I mentioned yesterday that Paddy 29-28 is somewhat acceptable if you give him 2&3.

Just a mess of a weekend for Crosby. With two cards in two states, maybe this is the weekend where he's actually held accountable (but probably not).

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Also, kind of an awful week for Paddy despite getting the win. All the stuff with Ariel is a bad look (even though I hate Ariel too) and then puts in a listless performance against Gordon, gets a questionable decision, then follows it with a cringe interview referencing the Ariel thing joking about getting paid. Then showing zero self-awareness, actually asks to get paid by asking for "FOTN" despite the fight being awful.

Even better that he was the only winner on the entire card to not get 50k. Maybe learn your lesson fighters - stop asking for a bonus after every win. It's kind of cringy to watch and it seems like the people handing out the money don't like it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad