GDT: UFC 282: Blachowicz vs. Ankalaev/Bellator 289: Stots vs. Sabatello

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
My stream was glitching out a bit in the early rounds I'm not going to comment too much. The last 10 minutes were all Ankalaev though.

Pretty funny way to end the night. Weird interviews too

Reactions: I am not exposed

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The UFC is an entertainment product first, competition second.

He has every right to speak out.

This is just stupid. The UFC has had tons of decisions happen that were awful for business

There are systemic issues in mma judging and I'll leave it at that

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
This is just stupid. The UFC has had tons of decisions happen that were awful for business

There are systemic issues in mma judging and I'll leave it at that

Name one in the past three years. There are none.

If anything the sheer number of "robberies" outnumbers the "bad for business" ones 10 to 1.

Reactions: longtime lurker

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Honestly, it's not as crazy as I thought originally.

I was assuming Ankalev won R1, but it was close and all 3 judges gave it to Jan.

The most egregious card is the 1 that gave Ankalaev R3 and if that didn't happen, then Jan would have won.

I dunno. I don't really want to see it again. Ankalaev knows now how easy it would be if he used his wrestling. I think he'd do that from the opening bell next time.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
The UFC is an entertainment product first, competition second.

He has every right to speak out.
What an awful comment. First of all the UFC has no control over the judging of state sanctioned events, everyone, especially the athletes know this.

Second of all, as an entertainment product having a draw is the worst outcome. As an entertainment product, having the younger up and commer with a massive overseas fan base is probably the fighter you'd like as your champion. But that's beside the point.

Ankalaev can speak out if he wants to, but what he's saying is very stupid. Especially considering other organizations in North America are subject to the same athletic commissions and usually the same judges. Not to mention sport in Russia is known globally to be corrupt. So yeah, he can speak if he wants but he looks like a goofball.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Honestly, it's not as crazy as I thought originally.

I was assuming Ankalev won R1, but it was close and all 3 judges gave it to Jan.

The most egregious card is the 1 that gave Ankalaev R3 and if that didn't happen, then Jan would have won.

I dunno. I don't really want to see it again. Ankalaev knows now how easy it would be if he used his wrestling. I think he'd do that from the opening bell next time.
Yeah, looking at it you're right, it's not as bad as I thought too. Especially considering that if Derek Cleary gave Jan round 3, the outcome is still a draw and nothing changes.

I still think round 1 was Ankalaev but if all 3 judges agree that it wasn't, then it's hard for me to argue.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
What? I legit turned it off as soon as the buzzer sounded and just now saw that somehow Ankalaev isn’t the champ. Unbelievable.

Does this mean we have to see that fight again? Can they just give Jiri his belt back, even if he’s out a year? Please.

The first three rounds weren’t very entertaining but still compelling. Overall, the fight sucked.

Reactions: chicagoskycam

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
A draw after an awful fight in a division with no champion is bad for business and it just happened.

The division was dead long before this fight. Everyone and their mother put money on Ankalaev winning this fight against an aging and over the hill Jan. They raked in serious dough by pulling this bullshit. Congratulations to them, you will all eat it up.

Reactions: longtime lurker

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The division was dead long before this fight. Everyone and their mother put money on Ankalaev winning this fight against an aging and over the hill Jan. They raked in serious dough by pulling this bullshit. Congratulations to them, you will all eat it up.

What are even talking about? So weird

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Was cheering for Jan, definitely going to be cheering for Jan if there is a rematch. Ankalaev came off as very whiny, he definitely had 4 and 5, but it’s not like he was dominating in 1-3

You could debate that Jan won 1-3 and then lost 4-5.

I don't care either way. I'm kinda glad this went to a draw.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Best part was the translator at the end!
I missed all of it. Fight was bad and I thought for sure Ankalaev won so I just turned it off. I’ll watch it once the UFC uploads it.

So.. Brazil needs a real main event. Can we still get Glover vs one of these guys? Or someone else?

Man, forgot all about him. He’s the biggest loser here if there’s an immediate rematch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad