GDT: UFC 276: Adesanya vs. Cannonier/PFL 6

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I never thought I'd ever see a UFC fighter come out to the undertaker's theme but it happened tonight, comeplet with purple lights, urn and hat.

I wonder how much that cost the UFC to use his theme
Considering Vince, Steph, HHH, and Pat McAfee we're in attendance... I'd say it cost 4 front row tickets.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Volk left hand is wrapped at his press conference. Said he's almost positive he broke it in the second round as he had the same injury to his right hand in the first fight with Max.

He wants to fight at 145 and 155 and defend both belts. He's fought 3 times in 9 months and would like to stay at a similar pace but the hand injury might slow him up. Doesn't care if he has to fight Charles or Islam at LW but believes Charles is the real champion at the moment and everyone knows it. Didn't rule out fighting at 145 next either depending on his hand injury and how things look when he's ready to come back.

Volk is calling out multiple media members in the room for their comments regarding the second fight with Max (i.e. calling Max the uncrowned champion). Scary how he actually knows and remembers things these guys said on their twitter or their blogs.

Said USADA woke him up at a weird hour prior to the second fight with Max and that he took melatonin tablets to go back to sleep which made him drowsy before that fight.

Last edited:

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Said USADA woke him up at a weird hour prior to the second fight with Max and that he took melatonin tablets to go back to sleep which made him drowsy before that fight.
If that's true, that's outrageous. There should be restrictions on when you can bother fighters on the day of/before their fight. Test everyone the day before, why on earth would you wake him up during the night. Borderline dangerous if they're going into a fight not fully alert.

Reactions: 16Skippy and td_ice

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
All that hype with the walkout, which was cool, and Izzy does his standard performance. Yeah, he's obviously a great fighter, but all this talk about doing things no one has seen before is kind of irritating when he does the same fight plan. Or maybe he is talking about his UFC entrances! What a clown. I hope Pereiara knocks him out again.

Talking about clowns, O'Malley celebrating a no contest, and then that tweet saying he's the first one to finish Munhoz. I had Munhoz winning the 1st round, as did two of the judges. I don't see O'Malley having great success against the top of the division. Against top 15 ranked opposition, he doesn't look anything special and very beatable.

What a knockout by Pereiara. But what an awful gameplan by Strickland. Was he trying to prove he could win a striking match against Pereiara. Idiotic.

Lawler vs. Barberena was a fun fight.

Volk is another level at 145. I don't see Emmett, Arnold, or Yair being serious threats really. 155 makes sense. Not that I'm opposed to see him fighting at 145 still, I just think more intriguing match ups are for him at 155 now.

Riddell is a good solid fighter, so that was very impressive by Turner.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Volk left hand is wrapped at his press conference. Said he's almost positive he broke it in the second round as he had the same injury to his right hand in the first fight with Max.

He wants to fight at 145 and 155 and defend both belts. He's fought 3 times in 9 months and would like to stay at a similar pace but the hand injury might slow him up. Doesn't care if he has to fight Charles or Islam at LW but believes Charles is the real champion at the moment and everyone knows it. Didn't rule out fighting at 145 next either depending on his hand injury and how things look when he's ready to come back.

Volk is calling out multiple media members in the room for their comments regarding the second fight with Max (i.e. calling Max the uncrowned champion). Scary how he actually knows and remembers things these guys said on their twitter or their blogs.

I like Volk but that excuse is complete nonsense unless he actually took sleeping pills.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I like Volk but that excuse is complete nonsense unless he actually took sleeping pills.
I've done that a few times, took melatonin like 4am or 5am having been up a few hours and couldn't back to sleep. So in order I could get some sleep to work at 9am. And both times I felt like I was super drowsy the whole day. Remember cutting off conversations cause I wasn't making sense. So I actually buy Volks drowsy story. Will never do that again cause I hated the feeling and it wasn't worth it.

RonFournier

Dec 17, 2006
I feel like something changed with him after he got blasted with a hard punch in round 2 or 3 of the Blachowicz fight. He is exceedingly cautious now. It's like he got clocked, really didn't like it and now just wants to make sure he never gets clipped like that again.

If you look at his fights before Blachowicz the only really bad one was the Romero fight. Even the Gastelum and Tavares decision wins were both awesome fights.
As a counterstriker he's always been a very cautious fighter, it depends more on his opponent's strategy IMO. If the challenger brings the fight to him (as he should if he wants to get the belt), then Izzy probably gets a KO since he's such an elite striker. Can't blame Izzy for not taking risks if the challenger just waits on the outside for Izzy to make a mistake (won't happen) a la Romero and Whittaker 2.

Reactions: td_ice

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
As a counterstriker he's always been a very cautious fighter, it depends more on his opponent's strategy IMO. If the challenger brings the fight to him (as he should if he wants to get the belt), then Izzy probably gets a KO since he's such an elite striker. Can't blame Izzy for not taking risks if the challenger just waits on the outside for Izzy to make a mistake (won't happen) a la Romero and Whittaker 2.
Thats fine that hes a counter striker.

But dont talk about how you dont care about the belt and just want to be a super star, or that you'll put on a show, if all you're going to do is jab jab jab leg kick.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I mean, we can blame Izzy a little bit becuase love it or hate it, this is still the entertainment industry. People aren't going to be encouraged to watch him and buy his PPVs if he just keeps out pointing people. His entrances as twice as fun as his fights. He was great fun to watch vs Gastelum and Whittaker 1 but since then his performances have been boring, even his KO over Costa was a boring fight til the KO.

The alleged best striker in the UFC should be exciting to watch, we should want to tune in everytime he's in the cage but we're consistently disappointed by someone who doesn't want to initiate exchanges and is content to jab into a decision if the opponent doesn't get reckless. He's too busy trying to protect the belt instead of entertaining the fans and giving them a show.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Seeing Holloway get destroyed like that was really rough. Volk completely left him in his dust this time.. I don't know what Max does at this point. He's been fighting for so long and has accumulated so much damage, and I think at LW he probably gets hurt bad. Honestly would just like to see him retire now.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Seeing Holloway get destroyed like that was really rough. Volk completely left him in his dust this time.. I don't know what Max does at this point. He's been fighting for so long and has accumulated so much damage, and I think at LW he probably gets hurt bad. Honestly would just like to see him retire now.
It was rough for sure but he's only 30 and he beat #2, #3, and #5 in the division. I don't think he needs to retire yet but definitely taking some time off could help. He's clearly the 2nd best guy in that division but Volk separated them by quite a lot last night. Wonder if Max stopping sparring has something to do with the downturn.

I think Max needs to target some bigger fights and ignore the division and title for a little bit or else he's going to turn into a gate keeper and just hover at the top of the division. I agree and don't think Max does well at LW, he doesn't have the strength to compete with some of those guys.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
This was the fight Volk put Max to bed for good. Max was so off with his striking it was hard to say if Volk was that much better or Max had a bad camp. Max was tentatively walking Volk down and never really went for it as he ate shots.

I passed out prior to the Izzy fight and it sounds like I didn’t miss much. Hit my parlay.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I've done that a few times, took melatonin like 4am or 5am having been up a few hours and couldn't back to sleep. So in order I could get some sleep to work at 9am. And both times I felt like I was super drowsy the whole day. Remember cutting off conversations cause I wasn't making sense. So I actually buy Volks drowsy story. Will never do that again cause I hated the feeling and it wasn't worth it.
Probably because you didn’t get enough sleep! Volk should know better and to throw it out as some excuse after a good performance is shitty. Like, this is the reason the fight was so close prior. Take your W and move on

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

It's actually okay to take melatonin for shorter sleeps like that, you just need to dose it properly. If you wake up feeling drowsy, it just means you took too much. I used to have the exact same problem. What Volk says actually makes sense to me because he probably didn't adjust and just took the same amount he normally takes.

RonFournier

Dec 17, 2006
I mean, we can blame Izzy a little bit becuase love it or hate it, this is still the entertainment industry. People aren't going to be encouraged to watch him and buy his PPVs if he just keeps out pointing people. His entrances as twice as fun as his fights. He was great fun to watch vs Gastelum and Whittaker 1 but since then his performances have been boring, even his KO over Costa was a boring fight til the KO.

The alleged best striker in the UFC should be exciting to watch, we should want to tune in everytime he's in the cage but we're consistently disappointed by someone who doesn't want to initiate exchanges and is content to jab into a decision if the opponent doesn't get reckless. He's too busy trying to protect the belt instead of entertaining the fans and giving them a show.
Maybe we see things from a different angle since I don't care about PPV sells or gaining new fans for the sport. Sure I love a banger just as much as anyone else but when it comes to masters like Adesanya who have the ability to win without taking useless brain injuries and risking their legacy, it would make no sense for them to fight like Gaethje or Chandler just for entertainment purposes. The goal is to prove that you are the greatest martial artist, not prove that you have more balls or a better chin than the other guy. It's up to the contender to bring the fight to him, knowing that he has the ability to win off jabbing and kicking legs.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Maybe we see things from a different angle since I don't care about PPV sells or gaining new fans for the sport. Sure I love a banger just as much as anyone else but when it comes to masters like Adesanya who have the ability to win without taking useless brain injuries and risking their legacy, it would make no sense for them to fight like Gaethje or Chandler just for entertainment purposes. The goal is to prove that you are the greatest martial artist, not prove that you have more balls or a better chin than the other guy. It's up to the contender to bring the fight to him, knowing that he has the ability to win off jabbing and kicking legs.
Yeah we definitely see it differently. Im not saying he has to lose brain cells but I think the goal with any form of entertainment is to entertain. Izzy's fights have been considerably less entertaining since he won the belt and I really have no desire to see him put on a lackluster striking exhibit for 25minutes. It's not fun, it's not entertaining, it's not exciting, and as a fan I don't really get anything out watching him fight anymore.

And I also disagree that its up to the other person to bring the fight to him... They both need to entertain, I don't think Izzy gets to sit back and be boring just because he can win that way... I don't think fans have been enjoying his performance, we example of the several people commenting here that it was a snoozefest.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
After having a few hours on it, I really think there's just no need for Volk to move up to 155 right now. This Max trilogy means there are still a bunch of top-ten guys he hasn't fought. Most of those guys are one or two fights away but they'll get there.

Plus, just a week ago we were talking about all the new young guys at 155 breaking into the ranks. We really need Volk in there right now?

I don't know, I don't see it yet.

Reactions: 16Skippy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad