GDT: UFC 276: Adesanya vs. Cannonier/PFL 6

bov

Nov 13, 2010
185 is one of the weakest divisions in the UFC. Pereira is the clear matchup to make. If he wins, I could see Usman moving up to challenge him if he gets by Edwards.

Zero interest in Yair or Emmett vs Volkanovski. If Allen can get another win, I'd be down for that. But I think it's 155 at this point and the champ deserves it. Go up to LW and see what happens at 145 over the next 6-12 months. A lot can change.

-Also, Strickland had no business fighting for a title anyway. It was very satisfying to see him get flattened, absolute tool.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I don't think Oliviera or Volk have held the belt or defended the belt enough to have that as a super fight. And I don't think either of them have a fan base big enough to call it a super fight either.

Shevchenko vs Nunes will always be a superfight to me even if their divisions are widespread now. Usman vs Izzy too. I just don't think the champions are big enough stars to have superfights right now. It's not a case of "If not them, who??!?!". It's a case of, it doesn't do any more than a title fight with people in their own division, so why bother.

Absolutely disagree. I think Volkanovski vs. Oliveira at 155 for the LW belt is a far, far, far bigger draw than Volkanovski vs. Emmett at 145.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Absolutely disagree. I think Volkanovski vs. Oliveira at 155 for the LW belt is a far, far, far bigger draw than Volkanovski vs. Emmett at 145.

Sure, but that's not really the comparable. You'll get Volk/Oliveira or two different title fights like Volk/Emmett & Oliveira/Islam or whatever

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
How many times has someone gotten a championship fight in their 4th UFC fight or less? Obviously we just had Chandler fought for the vacant belt but there were a lot of extenuating circumstances there. Same here if Pereira really does fight Adesanya next.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
How many times has someone gotten a championship fight in their 4th UFC fight or less? Obviously we just had Chandler fought for the vacant belt but there were a lot of extenuating circumstances there. Same here if Pereira really does fight Adesanya next.
Jiri has only fought 3 times in the UFC

Reactions: Chaels Arms

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Sure, but that's not really the comparable. You'll get Volk/Oliveira or two different title fights like Volk/Emmett & Oliveira/Islam or whatever

This I agree with and I may have misunderstood what @Taytro was saying if this is what he was saying.

I just have no interest in Volk v. Emmett. Maybe it's because I don't even think Emmett beat Kattar but that's another discussion...

Reactions: Taytro and m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

I think it's happened fairly often actually.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Then I don't think you know the sport or the business. That matchup does nothing to bring in casual fans. Neither man talks trash, has beef with one another, appeals to the US fans, or has general marketability that would bring in fans in excess of a standard PPV. It would probably bring in 500k buys which is comparable to Oliviera vs Poirier and Gaethje so there's really 0 reason to do it from a business standpoint. If Volk had a few more wins and was known as a world beater or knockout artist, maybe it attracts attention when he moves up. But he's won 5 of his last 6 by decision. Good fights but nothing that would bring extra attention. And he comes up tonight for a vacant belt. It's fine but it's nothing special and it's not a super fight.

Maybe Dana feels Volk has earned it and gives it to him but you hold up two divisions title fights to make 1 average title fight? Stupid business move when you could just leave them in their own divisions and get double the title fights.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
This I agree with and I may have misunderstood what @Taytro was saying if this is what he was saying.

I just have no interest in Volk v. Emmett. Maybe it's because I don't even think Emmett beat Kattar but that's another discussion...
It's part of what I was saying. I just think it makes more sense to keep two guys in their own division until you actually build that true super fight. If they both have like 6 or 7 defenses and are well known to casuals and hardcore fans then by all means it makes sense. I just don't think they are. Theyre both under the radar champions. Build that brand and build a super fight, no problem with that.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Then I don't think you know the sport or the business. That matchup does nothing to bring in casual fans. Neither man talks trash, has beef with one another, appeals to the US fans, or has general marketability that would bring in fans in excess of a standard PPV. It would probably bring in 500k buys which is comparable to Oliviera vs Poirier and Gaethje so there's really 0 reason to do it from a business standpoint. If Volk had a few more wins and was known as a world beater or knockout artist, maybe it attracts attention when he moves up. But he's won 5 of his last 6 by decision. Good fights but nothing that would bring extra attention. And he comes up tonight for a vacant belt. It's fine but it's nothing special and it's not a super fight.

Maybe Dana feels Volk has earned it and gives it to him but you hold up two divisions title fights to make 1 average title fight? Stupid business move when you could just leave them in their own divisions and get double the title fights.
When what I'm suggesting actually happens in real life are you still going to tell me I don't know the sport or the business?

Reactions: chicagoskycam

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
When what I'm suggesting actually happens in real life are you still going to tell me I don't know the sport or the business?
If it sells 500k, yes. If it sells 1mil, no I will concede. But unless they stack a card around that, I don't see how that fight brings in the people. Maybe if they put it in Brazil it will but I don't see the draw. Again, it would be a fun fight, I just don't get it.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
If it sells 500k, yes. If it sells 1mil, no I will concede. But unless they stack a card around that, I don't see how that fight brings in the people. Maybe if they put it in Brazil it will but I don't see the draw. Again, it would be a fun fight, I just don't get it.

By my quick research there have been 11 non-McGregor cards in the entire history of the UFC that have sold 1 million or more PPVs.

So, essentially, Volk v. Oliveira needs to be one of the all time greatest drawing cards or I'm wrong.

If it only did 860,000 like say... Jones v. Cormier 2 then it's a bust.

Got it. LOL.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Cerrone is considered a lock for the Hall of Fame, but I wonder if Miller's career will be given the same respect?

Miller is 25 - 14 (1 NC) in the UFC

And his list of opponents is among the most impressive in the sport's history

Edgar
Maynard
Benson Henderson
Nate Diaz
Dariush
Charles Oliveira
Poirier
Chiesa
Lauzon
Guida
Hooker
Thiago Alves
Anthony Pettis
Diego Sanchez

Reactions: m9

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
It's why there should be no rush for him to move up - he should only do it if there is no challenger. That being said it's only an issue if he actually wins a 2nd belt and I think that will be tough.
it feels like hes cleared out the division, but theres still multiple fighters he hasnt fought.

I think he will have a tough time winning the belt.

Maybe we see Cejudo actually come back and fight at 145 although he will be way undersized to Volk.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
it feels like hes cleared out the division, but theres still multiple fighters he hasnt fought.

Maybe we see Cejudo actually come back and fight at 145 although he will be way undersized to Volk.

If Volk is going to stay at 145 I'd rather see him fight the likes of Emmett or Yair than Cejudo tbh.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
By my quick research there have been 11 non-McGregor cards in the entire history of the UFC that have sold 1 million or more PPVs.

So, essentially, Volk v. Oliveira needs to be one of the all time greatest drawing cards or I'm wrong.

If it only did 860,000 like say... Jones v. Cormier 2 then it's a bust.

Got it. LOL.
Why would you make a interdivisional title fight to not have it be one of the better cards in history? What's the point in doing it to have it be an average card when you could split them up and have two headliners for the same draw per card?

Again, I'm not saying it's not going to happen. I'm not saying it would be a bad fight. I'm saying it doesn't make sense (yet?), and I don't get it. But Dana could reward Volk for letting him book Max for the 3rd time. It's a very Dana thing to do, ask for a favour then give that fighter what they want. It just wouldn't make any sense to me when you could do Oliviera vs Makachev for virtually the same draw as Oliveira vs Volk. Then add Volk vs ____ to a seperate card. Just doesn't make sense to me, that's all I'm saying. Personal opinion is to maybe so that superfight once one, or both of them establish themselves as superstars in the sport.

Reactions: Chaels Arms

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
What's weird about Strickland is at his media day he (correctly) pointed out the UFC matched him against Pereira but he's a highly ranked striker and they don't want Pereira to get ragdolled by a wrestler and lose the Pereira vs. Adesanya matchup. He even joked he might come out and wrestle Pereira. Than he came out and stood in front of Pereira barely even moving and got sniped. That was probably one of the most effortless KOs Pereira's ever gotten.

Why would you make a interdivisional title fight to not have it be one of the better cards in history? What's the point in doing it to have it be an average card when you could split them up and have two headliners for the same draw per card?

Again, I'm not saying it's not going to happen. I'm not saying it would be a bad fight. I'm saying it doesn't make sense (yet?), and I don't get it. But Dana could reward Volk for letting him book Max for the 3rd time. It's a very Dana thing to do, ask for a favour then give that fighter what they want. It just wouldn't make any sense to me when you could do Oliviera vs Makachev for virtually the same draw as Oliveira vs Volk. Then add Volk vs ____ to a seperate card. Just doesn't make sense to me, that's all I'm saying. Personal opinion is to maybe so that superfight once one, or both of them establish themselves as superstars in the sport.

I get what you're saying, I just think you and I are on different ends of the spectrum when it comes to our interests in these fights.

If Volk v. Emmett is the headline of a PPV, for me there would need to be A LOT of other interesting fights on that card to make me shell out money to buy it.

Volk v. Oliveira I'm buying regardless of whatever else is on it.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario

I think Max has helped him clear out the division by sending guys like Yair and Kattar to the next level and blocking them from title fights. But I agree he has a lot of other guys to fight to clear out the division. He's only beat 3 guys, 1 who has no business being there.

I think Cejudo has kept his name relevant enough that he could jump back into 135 or 145 and be an average draw. How he performs? No idea but I think he could slide in to the slot just as well as anyone.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
If Volk is going to stay at 145 I'd rather see him fight the likes of Emmett or Yair than Cejudo tbh.
Agreed

I think Max has helped him clear out the division by sending guys like Yair and Kattar to the next level and blocking them from title fights. But I agree he has a lot of other guys to fight to clear out the division. He's only beat 3 guys, 1 who has no business being there.

I think Cejudo has kept his name relevant enough that he could jump back into 135 or 145 and be an average draw. How he performs? No idea but I think he could slide in to the slot just as well as anyone.
I dont think he deserves an instant title shot at 145 if he decides to go there. Give him a top 5 opponent.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
There’s still so many up and coming guys I wanna see at 155 before Volk-Oliveira. But Volk is going to have to move up it seems. Maybe give him one more fight and when he walks through that then move him up. At least then you can still get something like Makhachev vs Oliveira. If Oliveira wins that then the younger guys like Tsarukyan, Gamrot, Alvarez, Fiziev etc can work it out between each other or even just wait since they’re all young.

A name getting lost in all this is Topuria. He should be fighting for a title really soon and could beat anybody. He’s who is really like to see next

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Cerrone is considered a lock for the Hall of Fame, but I wonder if Miller's career will be given the same respect?

Miller is 25 - 14 (1 NC) in the UFC

And his list of opponents is among the most impressive in the sport's history

Edgar
Maynard
Benson Henderson
Nate Diaz
Dariush
Charles Oliveira
Poirier
Chiesa
Lauzon
Guida
Hooker
Thiago Alves
Anthony Pettis
Diego Sanchez
He’s got the most wins in the company’s history, he’s a lock

Reactions: m9

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I never thought I'd ever see a UFC fighter come out to the undertaker's theme but it happened tonight, comeplet with purple lights, urn and hat.

I wonder how much that cost the UFC to use his theme

Reactions: Taytro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad