GDT: UFC 276: Adesanya vs. Cannonier/PFL 6

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
After having a few hours on it, I really think there's just no need for Volk to move up to 155 right now. This Max trilogy means there are still a bunch of top-ten guys he hasn't fought. Most of those guys are one or two fights away but they'll get there.

Plus, just a week ago we were talking about all the new young guys at 155 breaking into the ranks. We really need Volk in there right now?

I don't know, I don't see it yet.

I'd like them to do Volk-Emmett next. Then by the time that is settled I'm sure one at least one of Yair, Allen, or Topuria will have another big win or two and be in the mix.

Reactions: Taytro

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
MMA “fans” blowing up Pedro Munhoz social calling him a faker

UFC fans are the most toxic sports fans in the US by far. Consistently disgusting. Sucks that we have to associate with them

Then some of these people saying Max kept fighting, why couldn't Munhoz. Well Max wasn't poked in the eye! A cut near the eye is very different that a poke on the eye. Good grief. It actually hurt my head reading those comments and realising people can be so stupid. And not all eye pokes/damage around the eye are going to be similar. And why would Munhoz want to quit being scarred of O'Malley. He won the first round, and it was an even fight. These 'fans' saying Munhoz quit because O'Malley was piecing him up are delusional. Not helped by O'Malley's comments.

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
MMA “fans” blowing up Pedro Munhoz social calling him a faker

UFC fans are the most toxic sports fans in the US by far. Consistently disgusting. Sucks that we have to associate with them
You should see wrestling fans and ratings talk

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
You should see wrestling fans and ratings talk
Lol I am familiar with that and I’d say that’s definitely insufferable, but these keyboard warriors who attack people who are risking a lot for our entertainment take the cake for me

Then some of these people saying Max kept fighting, why couldn't Munhoz. Well Max wasn't poked in the eye! A cut near the eye is very different that a poke on the eye. Good grief. It actually hurt my head reading those comments and realising people can be so stupid. And not all eye pokes/damage around the eye are going to be similar. And why would Munhoz want to quit being scarred of O'Malley. He won the first round, and it was an even fight. These 'fans' saying Munhoz quit because O'Malley was piecing him up are delusional. Not helped by O'Malley's comments.
100%

Munhoz was winning the fight and has gone the distance with better opponents. It’s just silly

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'd like them to do Volk-Emmett next. Then by the time that is settled I'm sure one at least one of Yair, Allen, or Topuria will have another big win or two and be in the mix.

I think Volk/Yair (if he wins v Ortega) is the better matchup to make next. But yeah, I'd be fine with Emmett next as well.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
At 37 years old, I think it's now or never for Emmett's title shot

He must be well respected by the UFC brass to have been made a commentator, so barring an impressive, dominant performance by Yair over Ortega, I suspect they'll throw Emmett in there against the champ for his next fight

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
At 37 years old, I think it's now or never for Emmett's title shot

He must be well respected by the UFC brass to have been made a commentator, so barring an impressive, dominant performance by Yair over Ortega, I suspect they'll throw Emmett in there against the champ for his next fight

UFC has had their issues with Yair too so I'm not sure they'll be doing him any favours. So yeah, Emmett makes sense.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
For the main event, Cannonier is a guy that I've long thought presented some problems to Adesanya if they got to this point. He is extremely strong for a 185er. He could grind him against the cage, take him down, and do work from the top. But it just really, really depends on his mindset here. We have seen Romero & Costa go in here as the bigger stronger guy and then just be so tentative when it counts. Will Cannonier do the same?

I don't know. Cannonier is just wired kind of differently and I think it might be a good thing in a big fight like this. I don't think he'll get scared and overthink it. He's not afraid to take a shot if it means he can advance position. He's going to compete in there on Saturday and I think he will either win the title or come very, very close.

My main takeaway from this card is that I should stop typing about something after 1 paragraph. I wonder if it's possible to be more wrong about something than I was about Cannonier in the 2nd paragraph.

Izzy's got these guys under some sort of spell in there.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
My main takeaway from this card is that I should stop typing about something after 1 paragraph. I wonder if it's possible to be more wrong about something than I was about Cannonier in the 2nd paragraph.

Izzy's got these guys under some sort of spell in there.

He was having some success grinding Izzy along the cage. I don't know why more fighters don't do this against Izzy. Usman perfected it with his foot stamping technique in his division!

Reactions: 16Skippy and m9

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

I missed how drunk Luke Thomas got during the live show before the event. Kinda hilarious given his sober personality.

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It's funny to see from a distance and in a format where I can just turn it off, but man he's an annoying kind of drunk. Credit to BC for holding it together like that and keeping things moving

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I wish I missed it lol

Yeah I don’t blame you, I would’ve been frustrated watching Mas Margs Thomas. Way less annoying when cut up and condensed in a 2.5 min video 😂

BC having to be the non-ridiculous one was something to see, he did well

Reactions: 16Skippy

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Watched the main card last night.

Izzy-Cannonier was kind of as expected. Cannonier's power is a threat to anyone, but Izzy is just too sophisticated of a striker for him to land anything of significance. Definitely looking forward to the Pereira fight. Might be more of a chess match, but at least both guys will be playing chess instead of one guy playing chess and the other playing checkers.

Holy hell, Volk. Not surprised he won at all, but he beat the shit out of Max. Max never got out of first gear. If that was Volk being great and not a sign Max is starting to show signs of decline....damn. It's hard to not wonder if the wars are starting to catch up to Max, though. I thought he was going to have a much easier time against Yair and I thought this would be another razor close fight. I'm not declaring his career over, but the toll of all the wars he has been in are going to catch up with him sooner or later. The time might be now.

Pereira is who we thought we was. He's been given favorable matchups against strikers to get him to this point, but again I'm looking forward to the Izzy fight.

Lawler looked good until he didn't, but credit to Barberena. His gameplan of volume, volume, volume and then a big shot eventually worked.

Bummer about O'Malley-Munhoz. It was a competitive fight until that point.

Reactions: Taytro and m9

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Holy hell, Volk. Not surprised he won at all, but he beat the shit out of Max. Max never got out of first gear. If that was Volk being great and not a sign Max is starting to show signs of decline....damn. It's hard to not wonder if the wars are starting to catch up to Max, though. I thought he was going to have a much easier time against Yair and I thought this would be another razor close fight. I'm not declaring his career over, but the toll of all the wars he has been in are going to catch up with him sooner or later. The time might be now.
Max seemed to take a significant step back when he stopped sparring. He's still a great exciting fights but he's not nearly as good as he was a couple years ago.

This also happens when everyone's been chasing you for so long. Max was champ for 3 years, so for 3 years everyone was watching him and trying to catch up. Well, they caught up. Same thing happened to Jones. He was the champ for so long that guys like Reyes and Santos were always watching and training for him. When they got there, they had caught up to his skillset (in my opinion).

Reactions: pistolpete11

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Max seemed to take a significant step back when he stopped sparring. He's still a great exciting fights but he's not nearly as good as he was a couple years ago.

This also happens when everyone's been chasing you for so long. Max was champ for 3 years, so for 3 years everyone was watching him and trying to catch up. Well, they caught up. Same thing happened to Jones. He was the champ for so long that guys like Reyes and Santos were always watching and training for him. When they got there, they had caught up to his skillset (in my opinion).

I don't think the sparring has changed anything at all, I just think Volk is awesome. If Volk wasn't around we would probably be talking about Max as the #1 p4p guy right now.

Reactions: pistolpete11

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I don't know if it's just me, but I really feel like the UFC has had some disappointing cards that had 'name power' for the past year. There have been some good fights still (the Oliveira cards come to mind), but it just feels like it's missing something. I think there really is a lack of a big dominant star carrying the org right now - if Adesanya didn't have such a safe, point fighting type style then it could've been him, but otherwise there just isn't anyone with huge drawing power right now who is also active. Kamaru and Volkanovski aren't really liked much (though Alex seems to have gained a lot more respect after his last 3 performances), who knows when Ngannou, Stipe or Jon Jones will even fight again, and LHW has been a bit of a mess since Jon left with nobody really taking the reigns. BW was also a huge mess with the whole Sterling-Yan drama, and Flyweight too is in a bit of a weird spot with the Moreno-Figueiredo saga. Khamzat could maybe get there but he's had various setbacks with injuries and covid. Oliveira's fights are exciting, but I'm not so sure he can beat Islam - that being said at least he's keeping us intrigued considering most thought one of Chandler/Justin/Dustin would've finished him by now.

Also feels like we're missing some of the genuine bad blood and rivalries that made things interesting, especially with Holloway-Volkanovski and Usman-Colby chapters closing.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad