GDT: UFC 218: Holloway vs. Aldo 2

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
That card is an embarrassment, including the title fight. Joe Soto might be the best fighter on the card.

I know Roxanne because she has been around for a while but don't know much about the other women. I think they need to get this fight over with and then book the winner against someone like Shevchenko ASAP.

Absolutely.

Though, I do like Eubanks. Yes she was 2-2 coming into TUF, but both her losses were against legit fighters. She also is very well-rounded. Maybe she's better off at 135lbs though I do think she sticks around the UFC. Most of the rest of the cast is garbage.

Linda Bacon

Canada fan
Nov 7, 2017
Tecia Torres vs. Michelle Waterson should be a very close fight, hoping Tecia pulls it off.

Last edited by a moderator:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Aldo on the scales looking weak and exhausted is not a good sign going into tomorrow's fight. This is why they need to stop the drastic weight cutting and make these guys fight closer to walking around weight, IMO.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Aldo on the scales looking weak and exhausted is not a good sign going into tomorrow's fight. This is why they need to stop the drastic weight cutting and make these guys fight closer to walking around weight, IMO.

Max looked just as bad.

Coaches and fighters need to help clean up this issue.

Reactions: 1specter

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
The biggest reason why Aldo didn't leg kick is that Max countered the first leg kick with a clean as hell step-in one-two combination and Max was consistently feinting that step-in during the entire first round. For better or for worse, Aldo is a very tactical minded fighter. He likely thought the kick was too dangerous for him to throw. Fell into the Good Tactical but Bad Strategic decision trap. If Aldo knows he has to accept getting countered for throwing the leg kick, the rematch is going to be very difficult to predict.

I'm very interested to see how Ngannou fares against an elite heavyweight. His training situation is very odd. He moved to Vegas to train in the UFC performance center. Apparently, his coach from France only joined him in the last weeks of training. Like, what training is he even having in Vegas? Cauz there's no report of him being in the bigger Vegas MMA camps. Doubt the UFC performance center is any substitute for a fight camp. Kind of the thing that makes me think Reem will derail the hypetrain

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Biggest question is if Aldo can use the leg kicks. Max front leg is always open.
Max was not phased by any Aldo kicks. Honestly Max is a very scary guy to fight against these days, he doesn't really have any major weakness.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I think Holloway will win and it might be easier this time but I don't want to count Aldo out. He's still a great fighter and he won the first two rounds in their last fight. I don't know why he didn't utilize his leg kicks last time, which is arguably his biggest weapon, but I'm guessing that changes tonight. He needs to mix it up.

Great FP prelims so far tonight.

Big Pretty! I don't mind the wild swinging HWs at times.

Weird finish in the last fight. I thought he was out at first but on the replay you see him trying to grab a leg and create a scramble.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Aldo's prime has come and gone IMO, I don't see him faring any better this time around. Ngannou is +115 to finish Reem in the first, I like that a lot. A guy with a suspect chin against the hardest hitter in MMA. Ngannou dwarfed him at the weigh-in. I feel like Alvarez's chin is going, granted Gaethje's will too with all the damage he's taken, but I think he puts Alvarez away here.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
Anyone else like Overeem at the current odds? Overeem is the most skilled HW striker by far IMO and he isn't going to get sucked into a firefight with Francis.

Max was not phased by any Aldo kicks. Honestly Max is a very scary guy to fight against these days, he doesn't really have any major weakness.
I don't recall Aldo using his kicks at all in the first fight.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Overeem/Ngannou is a tough one to call. I'd lean towards Ngannou but he hasn't really been tested and Overeem has been fighting a lot smarter recently. Although, even in those fights there have been some rough moments for Overeem and it might not end well if he tries to use the turn his back and run defense.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I didn't think the Fight Pass "early stoppage" was bad at all, despite Rogan freaking out. Guy got clipped, and they say he was working for a takedown but his arms went limp. Fine with the finish.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
I'm all about giving sh*t to outfighters that does more running than striking. But Teymur is landing shots on the outside and Klose is doing nothing to cut the space.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
That was a ridiculous round. Probably among the best of the year.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Yancy's bad defense is showing. Oliveira probably could have finished it if he didn't auto-pilot to clinch-wrestling

Edit: Damn this fight is very back and forth. Oliveira is gassed with probably a broken nose. Looking bad for him

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad