GDT: UFC 218: Holloway vs. Aldo 2

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
It's very similar to Fedor after he lost to Henderson/Silva/Werdum. Aldo should probably take a note from that and dial back the competition a bit. I guess that was kind of the plan already, the Lamas fight would have been an easier one.

I think that would probably help a lot of people and how they view him now, but how many times can we really watch him tune up Frankie Edgar? :laugh:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Not sure what fights you were watching but its not as if Max KO’ed Aldo with one big shot or something. In fact Aldo took a lot of punishment in his two fights against Holloway before the ref finally called it off. To me that says more about Max’s abilities and perhaps Aldo slowing down rather than Aldo having a questionable chin.

Yes, that's exactly it. And exactly why I said he should be considering retirement. He took a ton of punishment in both fights with Max. If that's going to be his MO going forward, that's a real hard way to make a few bucks. The KO by McGregor, he got hit once, so there was probably very little long term damage inflicted to anything other than his pride.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think that would probably help a lot of people and how they view him now, but how many times can we really watch him tune up Frankie Edgar? :laugh:

You can give him a couple fights vs the Swanson/Lamas tier and go from there. Aldo v Swanson is still a really good Fight Night main event.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Yes, that's exactly it. And exactly why I said he should be considering retirement. He took a ton of punishment in both fights with Max. If that's going to be his MO going forward, that's a real hard way to make a few bucks. The KO by McGregor, he got hit once, so there was probably very little long term damage inflicted to anything other than his pride.

Just because he got into a couple brawls with the new champ and came out on the losing end it doesn’t mean his long term health is in danger and he should hang them up. This isn’t a Chuck Liddell situation where he’s getting KO’ed consistently and can no longer take a punch. This might be a case where Aldo has to take a long hard look at whether he wants to continue fighting if there are no hopes of a title shot, but he’s certainly capable of fighting at a high level still and there are no indications his health is at risk by doing so, only possibly his pride.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad