GDT: UFC 207: Nunes vs Rousey

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Has Dana made a statement about Ronda yet? He hasn't tweeted since before the Dillashaw fight.

Yes. He said she was devastated over the loss but not nearly as down over it as she was when she lost to Holm. Said he was backstage with her the entire time after the fight.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Hey now. If Ronda had listened to the great constant advice of "HEAD MOVEMENT!" then maybe things would be different :sarcasm:

I mean, it was solid advice. There were only 48 seconds, not much you can say.

He's still a terrible coach but I have a feeling Ronda isn't very coachable.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Yes. He said she was devastated over the loss but not nearly as down over it as she was when she lost to Holm. Said he was backstage with her the entire time after the fight.

Well I guess it's just a matter of time before he blames Herb Dean for an early stoppage and offers her a rematch. :sarcasm: , not :sarcasm:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The fight that probably makes the most sense is doing Rousey/Tate 3. Just as marketable as any other fight, but a very winnable fight for Rousey. I know Tate says she's done, but another crack at a big payday and a broken Rousey would probably be intriguing for her.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
He likely could help her on her defense, but I think the ability to be an elite striker is something you're born with and can't be taught

Obviously you can always improve, but I suspect body type - and more specifically fast twitch muscles - play a crucial role in that facet of fighting

Wonderboy, McGregor, Cruz, Gastelum, Holm, etc. are so light on their feet compared to their opponents, if it was possible to reach that level through training and practice, you'd see it more often

Floyd as a personal boxing coach is like Crosby as a personal hockey coach. The sky is the limit. If Crosby dedicated hours, he could make HFers NHL caliber. Floyd could do the same. If he's working with a world class Judoka, I'm confident he could make her elite (at least at the level of the very best opponents)

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Can't help but feel for Ronda. Let's hope she has good support around her right now. She'll never fight again.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Floyd as a personal boxing coach is like Crosby as a personal hockey coach. The sky is the limit. If Crosby dedicated hours, he could make HFers NHL caliber. Floyd could do the same. If he's working with a world class Judoka, I'm confident he could make her elite (at least at the level of the very best opponents)

Do you think anyone could be an Olympic long jumper simply because they have Carl Lewis as their track coach?

Ronda could have trained in striking from the time she was in diapers, she still wouldn't be as good as Holly Holm

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Can't help but feel for Ronda. Let's hope she has good support around her right now. She'll never fight again.

I don't know. She is just not very likeable. Going into hiding for a year, demanding special treatment during fight week and than running out of the cage after she gets KO'd. Add in all B.S she has talked over the years, she is going to have to eat some **** on this one.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I don't know. She is just not very likeable. Going into hiding for a year, demanding special treatment during fight week and than running out of the cage after she gets KO'd. Add in all B.S she has talked over the years, she is going to have to eat some **** on this one.

Agreed

I understand why she's a PPV draw given how dominant she was as a fighter, but I never thought she had the charm or charisma to be a superstar outside of the Octagon

Having said that, depending on her mic skills, she could make an okay heel in the WWE

Last edited:

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal

Depends. Being good at something and teaching what you are good at are two different things. Gretzky couldn't coach for ****.

Anyway, she doesn't need to be elite in striking. She just needs to be good enough, to be able to defend herself and then bring her opponents in her world which is on the ground.

Oh well, **** Ronda and Edmond.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

You can not like someone and still feel sorry for them. Especially when that person was talking suicide after her previous loss. It becomes more than just a sport.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Depends. Being good at something and teaching what you are good at are two different things. Gretzky couldn't coach for ****.

Anyway, she doesn't need to be elite in striking. She just needs to be good enough, to be able to defend herself and then bring her opponents in her world which is on the ground.

Oh well, **** Ronda and Edmond.

Floyd is supposedly a decent trainer. Not saying he's his father or Freddie Roach but I've seen video of him training high level kickboxers on their hands.

As for Ronda, leaving Edmond after the Holm fight shouldn't have even been a question. There are plenty of better gyms in LA and OC that would have kept her close to Hollywood.

Thad Castle

Jun 30, 2014
Garbrant had a great performance. What fight would you guys like to see next? Garbrant vs Cruz 2 or Garbrant vs Dillashaw.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Garbrant had a great performance. What fight would you guys like to see next? Garbrant vs Cruz 2 or Garbrant vs Dillashaw.

YOU HAVE TO go with TJ Dillashaw. He's the top contender, and then add in their history. It writes its self.

Thad Castle

Jun 30, 2014
YOU HAVE TO go with TJ Dillashaw. He's the top contender, and then add in their history. It writes its self.

Agreed. He had a close fight with Cruz and has beaten the #2 and #3 contenders. Garbrant beating Cruz has definitely made the division more interesting.

member 51464

If Cody and TJ happens, who do you all want to see Cruz up against next while he bides his time for another shot at the belt?

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Dana said after the fight that most likely it will be Cody vs TJ.

Garbrant, when asked, said he wants Cruz again for his next fight.

Watching the post fight show, I was super impressed with Miesha Tate with the mic. She is an excellent speaker on camera. Tate did very well.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Eh, in the tiny possibility of Rousey coming back (and I mean tiny), she's gotta just say **** boxing and stand up. And train wrestling for like 6 ****ing months. Seriously, learn how to shoot a double. Wading through punches to get to the clinch isn't going to work anymore. I still think she's done though, imo, Edmond ruined her career.

Garbrandt was ****ing amazing. Cruz had nothing for him. Can't wait for that's Dillashaw fight. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Cody gets a big push from the promotion now, his showboating and dancing vids/gifs have gone viral since the fight.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta

I'd prefer a rematch. Cruz is a long reigning champion who deserves another crack. **** Dillashaw, that dude is a petulant baby.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I'd prefer a rematch. Cruz is a long reigning champion who deserves another crack. **** Dillashaw, that dude is a petulant baby.

I dislike Dillashaw as well, but honestly, it sounded like Cruz was gonna take some time off. I really wouldn't be surprised if Cruz was planning to retire if he beat Cody. Guaranteed he's getting a huge payday from the PPV points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad