GDT: UFC 202: Diaz vs. McGregor 2

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Added weight makes it easier to absorb punches, a heavyweight can take more damage than a featherweight, at least that's the theory.
Well the HW division has a lot more KOs than the FW, BW and especially the FW divisions, so I idk about all that. When you have the same two people fighting but at different weights, it shouldn't affect anyone's chin. Punching power, yes, potentially.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Well the HW division has a lot more KOs than the FW, BW and especially the FW divisions, so I idk about all that. When you have the same two people fighting but at different weights, it shouldn't affect anyone's chin. Punching power, yes, potentially.

Obviously there's a relationship to the weight of the puncher as well. A heavier fighter can both punch harder and take more damage. I think the HW division sees a lot of KOs because that's how a lot of people in it fight, too. It's not exactly a finesse division, there's a lot of brawlers there who just want to be the last dude standing.

I think the issue here might be McGregor specific though. He's not really a power puncher and at his weight, it's more about precision and timing as he himself has said. I think he probably figures that at a lower weight class, he still has his precision and timing but Diaz as a thinner man will be less capable of taking it.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
I think this fight was a great learning experience for Connor. He now knows that his cardio needs to be on point if he wants to hang with the likes of Nate. I suspect that at 155 his cardio should be a bit better.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
What are people talking about with this thought McGregor can KO him at one weight and not another? Makes no sense. The only time it would be an issue is if a guy had to make a massive cut to get to the lower weight as the weight cut would make someone susceptible to a KO. But Nate has fought at 155 half his career, that cut is fine for him.

McGregor wants the fight at 155 because that's a more natural weight for him to be fighting at. He weighed in at 168, aside from short-notice fights I don't remember the last WW in the UFC to weigh-in three pounds below his limit. Conor's cardio will be better at 155. The cardio is the reason for wanting the weight cut, not the KO ability.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
If McGregor didn't pace himself as he did, I imagine he loses. He barely won as it is.

But I agree with the sentiment that if Diaz wants a rematch, he should drop down in weight. It's only fair and McGregor has nothing to prove.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
What are people talking about with this thought McGregor can KO him at one weight and not another? Makes no sense. The only time it would be an issue is if a guy had to make a massive cut to get to the lower weight as the weight cut would make someone susceptible to a KO. But Nate has fought at 155 half his career, that cut is fine for him.

McGregor wants the fight at 155 because that's a more natural weight for him to be fighting at. He weighed in at 168, aside from short-notice fights I don't remember the last WW in the UFC to weigh-in three pounds below his limit. Conor's cardio will be better at 155. The cardio is the reason for wanting the weight cut, not the KO ability.

Yep.

The thing is, Nate's cardio will be better at 155 too I think.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Yep.

The thing is, Nate's cardio will be better at 155 too I think.

Of course it will be. And that's his normal fighting weight to start with. I'm sure we'll see a third fight at some point, but I doubt Dana is that stupid to do it now. If anything, I'd imagine it would be a few fights out, if not longer. There's no value on doing sooner rather than later because both guys can take the lift they've gotten from these fights and challenge other guys. Diaz because he won the first fight and McGregor because he got to avenge his loss in the first fight. Both guys should see a bump in their drawing power/interest from fans because Conor fighting Diaz gave Diaz a ton of credibility to the casual MMA fan.

Either way, UFC and White are happy it all worked out the way it did because having 2 fighters who are draws is better than one.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
I had it 48-47 McGregor because of the two knock downs in the second. Very, very close fight though. Lol at those who think it was a robbery.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
there isn't much correlation between added weight and ability to take a punch. there is however probably one between cutting too much weight and lesser durability. The closer you are to your optimal weight class, the better you should be able to perform compared to if you're cutting weight further down. The less you need to cut, the more you should be healthy and you should also be able to focus on training too

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I had it 48-47 McGregor because of the two knock downs in the second. Very, very close fight though. Lol at those who think it was a robbery.

Diaz had one very decisive round (3rd), but otherwise, it was McGregor for most of fight, IMO. That one round wasn't enough to win, much like the Anderson Silva fight vs Bisping. To me, it was eerily similar. Sure McGregor took a beating in the third, but he didn't get knocked down, unlike Diaz in the first two rounds. You put a guy down twice in a round, you win that round unless the other guy does the same. So the first two were McG's, third to Diaz, and they split the last two however you want to call it. I had McG in both the 4th and 5th, fwiw, but I get how you could give one to Diaz. Very fun fight, and certainly well worth the money.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I really didn't give McGregor much of a chance in this fight. When he was clearly tiring in the third I thought it was over. Was surprised he was able to drop Diaz several times. Scoring was absolutely perfect. Conor won 1, 2, and 4. Tough to make an argument otherwise. I couldn't believe Diaz couldn't take Conor down when he had his hands locked around Conor's legs up against the fence. His wrestling is really pretty bad.

I know Conor's happy and feels the score is settled, but in reality he won a close decision and Nate choked him out in 2 rounds, so a second win for Conor is necessary IMO to solidify this victory.

Dana said Conor either fights Aldo or Alvarez, but I'd have no problem with them doing this for a third time before anything else. I can't see Conor fighting at 145 again.

Rumble is an absolute beast. I felt that outcome was very likely but if Glover made it out of the first 7 minutes you felt like he might be able to grind out a decision. I don't think Rumble loses a first round to anyone on the roster (HW included).

Last edited:

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
As others have said, now that it's 1-1, I think the UFC will keep the third installment in their back pocket, and let these guys fight elsewhere. Save the final cash cow for a rainy day.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
I really didn't give McGregor much of a chance in this fight. When he was clearly tiring in the third I thought it was over. Was surprised he was able to drop Diaz several times. Scoring was absolutely perfect. Conor won 1, 2, and 5. Tough to make an argument otherwise. I couldn't believe Diaz couldn't take Conor down when he had his hands locked around Conor's legs up against the fence. His wrestling is really pretty bad.

I know Conor's happy and feels the score is settled, but in reality he won a close decision and Nate choked him out in 2 rounds, so a second win for Conor is necessary IMO to solidify this victory.

Dana said Conor either fights Aldo or Alvarez, but I'd have no problem with them doing this for a third time before anything else. I can't see Conor fighting at 145 again.

Rumble is an absolute beast. I felt that outcome was very likely but if Glover made it out of the first 7 minutes you felt like he might be able to grind out a decision. I don't think Rumble loses a first round to anyone on the roster (HW included).

1, 2 and 4 you mean I think. 4 was when he found an extra whiff of gas.

I agree with not fighting at 145 again(For now) and taking a shot at the 155 title. He can leave Aldo as the paper champion who lost to the real champ in 13 seconds while winning the belt in a higher weightclass, which holds more prestige. He is pretty spot on declaring it an empty threat to strip him of that belt and how it would hurt that division.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Even if he were using CBD oil, the high CDB strains still have THC in there. It's usually a 20-1 or 15-1 ratio, but it's still there. No clue if it's enough to trip a positive on a test, but he didn't do himself any favors by being so open and blatant about it. He does that behind closed doors, nobody says anything and nothing happens.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Even if he were using CBD oil, the high CDB strains still have THC in there. It's usually a 20-1 or 15-1 ratio, but it's still there. No clue if it's enough to trip a positive on a test, but he didn't do himself any favors by being so open and blatant about it. He does that behind closed doors, nobody says anything and nothing happens.

Oh I'm with ya. I just didn't think a person could be that stupid but Diaz brothers never disappoint.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Finally got a chance to watch the event last night. That was a great card.

Conor/Nate definitely lived up to all the hype for me. That was one of the best fights this year. I had it 48-47 for Conor (rounds 1, 2, and 4). His ability to recover after round 3 and come back with a second wind and take round 4 was very impressive. It almost looked like he was done at that point and Nate was about to take over. It was a close fight and I can see why people would give the 2nd round to Nate but I think Conor did enough in the first few minutes of that round with the knockdowns. I don't think either guy comes out looking bad after that one, regardless of who won or lost.

It's weird. I didn't want to see this rematch after the first fight and it made no sense to me. However, now I think a third fight has to happen and I really want to see it. It shouldn't be the next fight though. I think both guys need to go fight someone else right now. I'd like to see Conor defend his belt against Aldo or vacate it and go fight Alvarez for the LW title. Not really sure what's next for Nate but there's probably some fun fights out there, if he wants them.

Rumble is just a beast. I'm not too interested in another DC/Rumble fight but that's what would make the most sense. That division is just really bad now.

Another impressive win for Cerrone. I hope he stays at 170.

Garbrandt is legit and one of the more exciting fighters in the lower weight classes. Is he ready for Cruz though? He probably gets the next shot but I wouldn't mind seeing Cruz/Dillashaw 2 and then Garbrandt against one of the other top contenders.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Diaz may be looking at a suspension for his post fight antics. Man, these brothers are hilarious but incredibly stupid...

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/8/2...sada-sanctions-for-vaping-cannabis-at-ufc-202

Not smart for Nate to do that on the dais and tell everyone what he was smoking but I don't know what USADA gets out of this. They already tested him pre-fight and on fight night so who cares what he's doing after that? Recreational drugs aren't banned out of competition but since it's within 6 hours of the end of the fight, he's still considered in competition. They might try to **** him over on that? That's not what this drug testing policy should be for.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
USADA said that admitting to use is the same as a positive test, even though they tested him prior to the press conference.

I doubt they'll suspend him, maybe hit him with a fine. NSAC could also levy a sanction against him too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad