GDT: UFC 198: Werdum vs. Miocic

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Overeem has no chance against Miocic. He can't take a good shot anymore and to get close to Stipe he would have to be hit with a lot of them. Or Stipe would take him down and pound him out.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Started off a bit slow but ended up being a very fun card in the end.

I have no clue what Werdum was attempting to do there but great job by Stipe catching him. Happy to see him win the title. Hopefully they do the Overeem fight next.

Jacare is a savage. I was picking him in the fight but I didn't think he would make it look that easy, the first round is usually Vitor's round. It'll be interesting to see what direction they decide to go with the next title shot in that division. Could be Jacare, Romero, or even Bisping.

I thought that was an early stoppage in the Cyborg/Smith fight but the ref probably helped Smith in the long-run and prevented her from taking many more shots. It was inevitable.

I had Anderson beating Shogun but it was a close one. Not a very entertaining fight.

Props to Barberena for getting it done again. This was another close fight. He sends another top prospect down the ladder when many people (including me) weren't giving him much of a chance.

Maia is just incredible on the ground. That was a great performance. Very poor decision by Brown going to the ground with him in the third round. Maia looked tired and started that round very sloppy with his takedown attempts. Brown actually landed some shots and should have made him stand up.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Overeem has no chance against Miocic. He can't take a good shot anymore and to get close to Stipe he would have to be hit with a lot of them. Or Stipe would take him down and pound him out.

There's always a chance in the HW division. Overeem has been fighting a lot smarter recently and his takedown defense is pretty solid.

RonFournier

Dec 17, 2006
Cyborg is built like a freakin man, she must have taken testosterone or something. I can't see any of the top female bantamweights taking a 140 catchweight fight against her, it would be suicide.

Good job by Stipe, he really is a great fighter and I hope we finally get to see a Velasquez vs Miocic fight.

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada
There's always a chance in the HW division. Overeem has been fighting a lot smarter recently and his takedown defense is pretty solid.

Agreed, I do lean toward Miocic but Overeem was able to finish JDS and JDS beat Miocic (arguably).

Overeem is a very dangerous striker and doesn't fall in to the trap of punching himself out like before.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
I love hearing a building go completely silent like that. I was at UFC 120 in London when Condit one-punched Dan Hardy. It was silent. Werdum face down on the canvas was twice as silent.

Overeem - Miocic will be a standup fight, and I give Overeem a great chance in any standup fight.

Vitor Belfort looked very, very weak ... I know Jacare is a mother****er, but I wonder if Belfort is done. He hasn't beaten anyone except Dan Henderson post-TRT.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I love hearing a building go completely silent like that. I was at UFC 120 in London when Condit one-punched Dan Hardy. It was silent. Werdum face down on the canvas was twice as silent.

I love it too. Rampage over Chuck to win the belt was the one for me.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram

I thought the exact same thing when he faced JDS and yet he won. His defense is better , he pace himself better , he's better at keeping the distance and now pick his shots instead of going all out and gass himself out. Jackson has done a great job with him

I can't count out this version of Reem. I'd say Reem-Stipe is 50/50

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
I have no idea what Werdum was thinking there. Dude walked right into that chasing like a moron.

Definitely disapointed ! ... i felt he was smart ... this is why he beat nobody else than Cain and Fedor. Deeply feeling that he was simply smarter than them. (because on a equal basis ... he is under them imo. )

Cyborg is built like a freakin man, she must have taken testosterone or something. I can't see any of the top female bantamweights taking a 140 catchweight fight against her, it would be suicide.

Good job by Stipe, he really is a great fighter and I hope we finally get to see a Velasquez vs Miocic fight.

agreed ! i believe that Cain is the guy for the division ... but we will see if his new training method will still allow him to dominate the division like the old Cain could have dominated (if he didn't overestimate his cardio in Mexico)

I guess that if Cain wins in ufc 200 in a statement alike way ... we'll see them fighting sept/okt/nov ... (unless Miocic is hurt in his intermediary fight ... if their is one)

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Overeem has been fighting smarter lately. I could see him beating Miocic. Disappointed in Werdum, though. He took Miocic way too lightly.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Cain's recent resume is so strange when you look at it. Hasn't won a fight in 3 years and the last time he beat someone other than JDS/Bigfoot was 6 years ago. That's crazy. He needs to prove he can stay healthy.

Make the Stipe/Overeem fight for late summer/fall and then go from there.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Cain's recent resume is so strange when you look at it. Hasn't won a fight in 3 years and the last time he beat someone other than JDS/Bigfoot was 6 years ago. That's crazy. He needs to prove he can stay healthy.

Make the Stipe/Overeem fight for late summer/fall and then go from there.

Welcome to HW, home of weird resumes and where only 3 title defenses would make Stipe the longest HW UFC champion ever.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Man, so insanely happy for Stipe. He's really developed the power in his hands. Couldn't of happened to a better guy as well, met Stipe 2 yrs ago at the Fan Expo, just an awesome, awesome down to earth guy. Overeem should be next, looking forward to that one!!

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
It's amazing how vulnerable guys are when they're charging in. Don't get me wrong a guy with Stipe's size/strength/boxing is gonna pack a punch even backing up, but you see it fairly often where a guy is coming forward and gets caught with what doesn't seem to be the biggest punch, and they're just out cold.

Jacare and Maia will both hold the belts this year I think. If Werdum wins here and Aldo can win the Featherweight, along with Cyborg winning the Womens belt. Look out, it could be the year of the Brazilians.
Anything's possible, but I don't see it happening. Weidman and Rockhold can both keep the fight standing with Jacare. I think Rockhold beats him standing, and Weidman could mix his wrestling in to win rounds. I know it's only 4 pounds but it still doesn't seem like Cyborg is interested in or perhaps capable of making 135. Maia is going to have the same problem he's always had, he can't take guys with good TDD down and they'll beat him standing.

I'd give Reem a very decent chance against Miocic. I don't see Miocic taking him down very easily and Reem is as dangerous as anyone standing.

Man, cyborg would ****ing kill Rousey
Zero question about this. There never was IMO. That's why the UFC never wanted the fight to happen.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
UFC is in an odd spot with Cyborg. She can only do catch weight, and the top girls (Tate, Holm, Rousey) are focused on the belt so I don't see any of them taking the risk to fight her, unless someone's out the prove something. It'll be interesting to see, but no way the UFC wants Ronda in there with Cyborg this soon, if at all.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
Cyborg offered 140 and Ronda said no.

By all accounts, this cut to 139 was very very hard on her

Wasn't it Helwani who said all the ladies were offered that fight. Holm was the only one to admit that she turned it down, saying she wasn't ready after her loss.

I don't know enough about that division to know, is there someone that struggles to get to 135 not named Tate or Ronda?
All others ranked won't take that fight, and if you aren't ranked at 135, you don't have much of a chance against, arguably, the top wmma right now.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Wasn't it Helwani who said all the ladies were offered that fight. Holm was the only one to admit that she turned it down, saying she wasn't ready after her loss.

I don't know enough about that division to know, is there someone that struggles to get to 135 not named Tate or Ronda?
All others ranked won't take that fight, and if you aren't ranked at 135, you don't have much of a chance against, arguably, the top wmma right now.

Only way girls take that fight is for money, and Rousey is still THE money fight in that division. Hmm arm bar or knocked out cold, let me tap please.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad