GWT: UCL R16 Second Legs (current events talk in First Leg thread)

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Everyone throwing stuff at Simeone is extremely low class behavior btw. I don't even know what the point of that is.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Everyone throwing stuff at Simeone is extremely low class behavior btw. I don't even know what the point of that is.

Yeah that was bad. Looked like what you see at games in Honduras or El Salvador, not in one of the sport's most legendary stadiums. Cholo didn't skip a beat though, he's made a habit of putting together a road match system that has no equal so he wasn't phased by the reaction.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

Yea that was pretty embarrassing. As far as I’m concerned everyone caught on camera doing it should be banned for life and United‘a next UEFA fixture should be behind closed doors.

I have no tolerance for fans chucking stuff at players or coaches.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

There were a decent amount of people who compared him to van Dijk even. I would rather not name names. I also posted this beaut three years ago:

Aged well.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Maguire has got big flaws but he would also be a lot better than we are seeing in a system that would expose his weaknesses less. After the CL Final, Guardiola realised that playing Dias as a left sided CB in possession exposed his lack of pace in transition, so he started playing him deeper and using Walker and Stones/Laporte as wide CBs for their recovery pace. And that’s what United should do with Maguire. He gets exposed because the left back is too high up the pitch, so he has to cover some huge spaces (LCB spot + LB spot). Maguire doesn’t have the legs to do that, so you could help him out with an inverted LB.

Reactions: luiginb

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Lack of pace isn't really what I'm thinking about with Maguire. It's his panicky play on and off the ball and the fact his brain seems to shut down from time to time.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
At multiple points, especially when he did have a decent run of form there have been many who crowed about how good Maguire was. The price isn’t his fault, and English, but man he needs a sabbatical
Tbh his partner has also just been alright. That doesn’t help.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I get it. But does Lindelof not have as much talent as some of what some other top defenders are playing next to? Even with Varane, he looks lost.

Shit... Ole played a defensive counter attacking style and he still struggled.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Lack of pace isn't really what I'm thinking about with Maguire. It's his panicky play on and off the ball and the fact his brain seems to shut down from time to time.
He has no idea whatsoever what he is supposed to do at times.

He steps up when he shouldn't. He tries to play back and respect pace when he shouldn't. He carries the ball when he shouldn't. He makes a challenge when it isn't necessary. He avoids the ball when he might be better off stepping out on his man.

I don't think there's a bad footballer in there, I just think the pressure of wanting to do too much, the fee, the fact that his side is shit, the different manager approaches, and he just has no real idea of how he should be playing football, along with wanting to do too much.

I think a lot of good footballers would struggle in that situation. There's a reason Klopp is taking it slow with Konate. You don't want to put too much on them, as sometimes they'll overcorrect.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Leicester was Maguire’s level. You can get away with him in a back three where he doesn’t have to do anything because he has two other center backs covering him, but that’s about it. Utd did what they do recently and couldn’t resist the tabloids favorite England player and we know how much it cost them. I’ve been saying since in seen Maguire. He’s the same player as Martin Skrtel was.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I think that has a lot of truth in it. He has underlying skill to be a very solid defender, but he can’t take the pressure of being the leading man for a club like Manchester United with the added pressure the fee brings.

The problem is I don’t know if there’s a way to undo that at United. Even if they acquired a VVD like elite defender/presence, Maguire would still be looked at as a leader given his tenure and price tag.

Varane is obviously a big name, but too far along in his career to reasonably take the title of “leader” of the back line away from Maguire.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don't agree.

I think he's a pretty good footballer. He is not worth what they paid. But he's better than he has shown. I think the parade of defenders next to him, the mediocrity in front of him providing cover and meh management, and it's where it is. He's trying to do too much. Klopp could fix him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad