GWT: UCL Matchweek 2 & 3

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Love how Bayern turns these fairly close games into blowouts just by continuing to play for goals long after the opposition has stopped running hard. I don't recall seeing it like that pre-Pep's Barcelona, and I guess he brought it to Munich, and now it's just part of how it's done.

Reactions: Lauro and luiginb

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
You do know that I'm Finnish and not a native English speaker?
Yes, which is why I found it funny that you were accusing me of using something that isn't English just because you didn't know the word.

Anyway, that argument would hold up if it was a question of definition, grammar, connotation v. denotation, idioms, etc., but not when you say something as a response and then later claim it was not meant to serve as a response to something. Unless Finnish conversations do not proceed back and forth as per every other global language.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yes, which is why I found it funny that you were accusing me of using something that isn't English just because you didn't know the word.

Anyway, that argument would hold up if it was a question of definition, grammar, connotation v. denotation, idioms, etc., but not when you say something as a response and then later claim it was not meant to serve as a response to something. Unless Finnish conversations do not proceed back and forth as per every other global language.

They don't. We don't really talk.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Say what you like, but Solskjaer got it absolutely spot on today, and that's because he's a top manager and tactician. Just because he made a mistake by making the squad imbalanced which will probably see him lose his job, it doesn't change this. He made the club relevant again.

United's pressing structure and general balance was superb. United created defensive overloads on the byline when pressing. Great fluid attack and nice chance creation methods..

Reactions: cgf

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Say what you like, but Solskjaer got it absolutely spot on today, and that's because he's a top manager and tactician. Just because he made a mistake by making the squad imbalanced which will probably see him lose his job, it doesn't change this. He made the club relevant again.

United's pressing structure and general balance was superb. United created defensive overloads on the byline when pressing. Great fluid attack and nice chance creation methods..

You gotta do better than this to get a real reaction.

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
Much better intensity in the second half from United. Great ball by Bruno for Rashford and cross by Shaw for Ronaldo's header. de Gea with a couple of big saves too. United can't play like that on Sunday though.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016

Imagine cheating on Wenger for Solskjaer. :laugh:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Love how Bayern turns these fairly close games into blowouts just by continuing to play for goals long after the opposition has stopped running hard. I don't recall seeing it like that pre-Pep's Barcelona, and I guess he brought it to Munich, and now it's just part of how it's done.

Those of us who bet Bayern to score 4 or more today, aren't complaining :laugh:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
The coach of Malmö, Jon Dahl Tomasson is a wandering joke. Horrible horrible coach. Using so many offensive players against teams like Juve, Chelski and Zenith is madness. No wonder we get 4-0 losses all the time. Our only chance is to play with 8 extreme defensive players than 2 target forwards. Hell even then we would loose but atleast it would be with 2-0 rather than 4-0 5-0.

Thought i gotta say i like Jon Dahl as a person and he was a great player, but he is shit coach

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
17m993h3zgu71.jpg

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Leroy moves up to 3 goals & 2 assists in the CL, with Adeyemi hot on heels at 3 goals & 1 assist.

Last edited:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Leroy moves up to 3 goals & 2 assists after today, with Adeyemi hot on heels at 3 goals & 1 assist.

Actually Sane has 3 + 3 in the CL. They’ll have to replace Lewandowski, but they’ll still be stacked. Watching today’s highlights makes me think Barca won’t go through anyway. Coman looked excellent despite not showing up on the scoresheet.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Actually Sane has 3 + 3 in the CL. They’ll have to replace Lewandowski, but they’ll still be stacked. Watching today’s highlights makes me think Barca won’t go through anyway. Coman looked excellent despite not showing up on the scoresheet.

Thanks for the look out.

If they get Adeyemi, then I would like to see them play with no striker when Lewa rests/leaves. Just let Adeyemi, Musiala, Gnabry & Sane rotate at will in front of Kimmich-Goretzka and enjoy.

Yeah, Coman looked sharp too, even if I suspect he'll leave next summer like Alaba did this past summer.

Last edited:

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Thanks for the look out.

If they get Adeyemi, then I would like to see them play with no striker when Lewa rests/leaves. Just let Adeyemi, Musiala, Gnabry & Sane rotate at will in front of Kimmich-Goretzka and enjoy.

Yeah, Coman looked sharp too, even if I suspect he'll leave next summer like Alaba did this past summer.

Do you think any of their young forwards will make it at least as squad players in the next few years? Batista Meier, Tillman, Zirkzee, Arp...can any of them take some of the minutes vacating from Lewandowski, Muller, Choupo-Mouting?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Do you think any of their young forwards will make it at least as squad players in the next few years? Batista Meier, Tillman, Zirkzee, Arp...can any of them take some of the minutes vacating from Lewandowski, Muller, Choupo-Mouting?

OBM & Arp will need to breakthrough elsewhere if they can still reach the necessary level to play for Bayern. Zirkzee OTOH I can absolutely see replacing ECMC if he continues to progress like he has been...at least if they can't make a move for a more exciting prospect like Sesko/Hlozek.

Tillman is a wildcard and I have no idea what to expect from him. Though I've only ever seen him play in the front 4 for club or country, he was an 8 at previous levels who got pushed forward because of injuries to Bayern's youth strikers. With his skills & physical tools, he's really interesting...probably the most interesting of that tier with Nmecha / Beier / Krüger atm...but I'm not sure he's ready to go straight into Bayern's senior team. Hell, I'm not even sure that his future lies in the attack rather than becoming a Goretzka-esque box-to-boxer again.

In general, I feel like kids either get regular cameos with Bayern's senior team & impress, like Musiala last year & Nianzou this year, or they have to leave & make their breakthrough somewhere else. So I'm probably hoping for Rhein, Arrey Mbi & Tillman all to leave Bayern in the summer, unless they start getting regular cameos & are poised to crack the rotation for next year.

Reactions: gary69

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Bayern had a young winger who looks really good. Can't remember his name. I think he's probably about 17 now. Kid looked the business when I was scouting for that keeper league that fell through. I did draft Zirkzee in said draft, but it was in the U-23 draft and after I'd already drafted Haaland and Gouiri. Smart move for him to move away and get minutes. I didn't see him as a silver bullet, but I thought he looked good.

What's the consensus on Musiala? From the little I've seen I didn't think he looked quite as good as the hype.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad