U18 Russian team

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Great game to watch if you don't care who wins...Both teams have issues in the goal department. The guy who started for Russia - don't know him, was atrocious, but Brinkman also gave up a pretty weak 5th goal. The goalie for USA won us the game in OT and had a few lapses of his own.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
A handful of players aside, this Russian team is absolute piss. The entire coaching staff should be fired for allowing this freakshow to transpire.

Reactions: rightyright

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
A handful of players aside, this Russian team is absolute piss. The entire coaching staff should be fired for allowing this freakshow to transpire.

Exactly my thoughts... We looked so bad at times. The US and now Finland badly outplayed and totaly outskated us. We looked so damn slow. The defense cannot build up the game even if their life depend on it... The whole game plan is playing the puck down low the boards to the winger and hope they can do their magic. This is really embarrassing for a squad that talented.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
After falling behind 5-1 against the US, and looking like it would soon be 12- or 13-1 since every shot was finding its way into the goal through weak goaltending, I give the team credit for fighting back for a gutty OT win. They got screwed a bit by scheduling, facing off against Finland 17 hours after skating off the ice against the US, but even with fatigue, they looked awful against Finland. Their 3-1 lead late in the game seemed undeserved, and it collapsed in the final two minutes. Finland started hitting heavy, and it seemed to take the guys off the attack. The psychological lift from the US game was negated by the Finns.

I don't understand why the head coach job was given to Leschyov. I thought that Filatov had earned that role. You can see Filatov on the bench talking to the guys, encouraging, giving "hand strategies" to correct mistakes, while Leschyov just stands there like a statue. I will never understand how the RHF works.

Reactions: BMann

DivochLubo

Feb 28, 2007
So is the same good strategy with slow tempo hockey like at WJC? That not worked there and I doubt it will work here. Why do not play more offence in higher tempo, when forwards are way stronger part then defence. Was not speed and offence key at old soviet hockey school?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
After falling behind 5-1 against the US, and looking like it would soon be 12- or 13-1 since every shot was finding its way into the goal through weak goaltending, I give the team credit for fighting back for a gutty OT win. They got screwed a bit by scheduling, facing off against Finland 17 hours after skating off the ice against the US, but even with fatigue, they looked awful against Finland. Their 3-1 lead late in the game seemed undeserved, and it collapsed in the final two minutes. Finland started hitting heavy, and it seemed to take the guys off the attack. The psychological lift from the US game was negated by the Finns.

I don't understand why the head coach job was given to Leschyov. I thought that Filatov had earned that role. You can see Filatov on the bench talking to the guys, encouraging, giving "hand strategies" to correct mistakes, while Leschyov just stands there like a statue. I will never understand how the RHF works.

Iirc, Filatov is coaching U17s, so he should be there next year.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I would like to start, that Junior team isn't a place for a mature recognized coach. There shell be a system, where coaches can grow in the system, just as the players. Why Leshev? idk, but also why all the coaches and players from ska system and their unofficially official farm teams.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Iirc, Filatov is coaching U17s, so he should be there next year.

Maybe I am overreacting based on a small sample size, but every time I have seen him as a head coach, he has been extremely successful, and his teams are really fun to watch. A good example would be the World Youth Games in Lausanne, Switzerland last year. The Russian team was spectacularly successful, and they looked like they were having a great time scoring goals and dominating the play. Defensively, they attacked relentlessly in the neutral zone and turned the puck over constantly before it ever crossed into their defensive zone, thereby maintaining puck control from start to finish. The kids really looked like they were having fun. Of course, having Michkov and Miroshnichenko on the team didn't hurt either! I was hoping to see him move up more quickly where he might have an impact on more prestigious tournaments.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Maybe I am overreacting based on a small sample size, but every time I have seen him as a head coach, he has been extremely successful, and his teams are really fun to watch. A good example would be the World Youth Games in Lausanne, Switzerland last year. The Russian team was spectacularly successful, and they looked like they were having a great time scoring goals and dominating the play. Defensively, they attacked relentlessly in the neutral zone and turned the puck over constantly before it ever crossed into their defensive zone, thereby maintaining puck control from start to finish. The kids really looked like they were having fun. Of course, having Michkov and Miroshnichenko on the team didn't hurt either! I was hoping to see him move up more quickly where he might have an impact on more prestigious tournaments.

To be fair, Filatov's team at the 2019 U18 WJC didn't look much fun and likely wouldn't be successfull without an amazing performance from Askarov.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
To be fair, Filatov's team at the 2019 U18 WJC didn't look much fun and likely wouldn't be successfull without an amazing performance from Askarov.

Without good players who deliver timely heroics, no coach can win.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Based on what I had seen from this team, we can loose any game, but I still hope - the let down vs Finns was because of tired legs and an injury that disrupted the team.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Based on what I had seen from this team, we can loose any game, but I still hope - the let down vs Finns was because of tired legs and an injury that disrupted the team.

Fatigue had to have been a huge factor! The team poured a lot of emotion and energy into staging a comeback OT win after being down 5-1 against the US, and to have to play a game exactly 17 hours after skating off the ice the night before was not a fair measure of what the team can do.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Fatigue had to have been a huge factor! The team poured a lot of emotion and energy into staging a comeback OT win after being down 5-1 against the US, and to have to play a game exactly 17 hours after skating off the ice the night before was not a fair measure of what the team can do.
Well, I am very not impressed with our defense, I don't know these players, but no. 20 seems to be making a LOT of mistakes, and there is a big d-man, who is just too slow and technically weak, can't remember his name, Makarov may be?

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Well, I am very not impressed with our defense, I don't know these players, but no. 20 seems to be making a LOT of mistakes, and there is a big d-man, who is just too slow and technically weak, can't remember his name, Makarov may be?

As Caser said, the defense is a huge weakness for the team. The only question is, given the fact that the roster is crowded with talented forwards, might offense alone be enough to create a good result?

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Michkov put on quite a show in the 2nd period against Germany. First, a Lacrosse goal, then a rebound shot between his legs from far outside the goal crease. I have never seen that before! However, while that kind of individual talent is fun to watch, he has to be careful not to show up his teammates too much or draw too much attention to himself. It has to look like a team effort!

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018

:laugh:

Joke aside I'm a little bit nervous I have to admit. Our Belarusian friends can make life difficult for us today

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
The pp looks awful 5 on 3 and Michkov playing on the wrong wing in the 2nd pp unit is like the coach trying to make the U18 more of a challenge for Michkov.

Reactions: BMann and Fantomas

DivochLubo

Feb 28, 2007
Why does style remind me U-20 this year? New all junior teams tactic? Slow and waiting opponent to make mistake? With many skilled forward, it looks like a driving sport car with pulled handbrake.

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
So what are your thoughts on today’s game? Imo the Belarus game was very sobering, so I have no expectations at all... It was clear to me that it would be difficult but a Belarussian team outplaying us that clear for almost the whole 2nd period was absolutely frustrating with that kind of talent this year. Speaking about talent Miro and Chibrikov are huge disappointments. We said already everything about Miro but Chibrikov is the Grigorenko of these U18s - his stats are the result of the players around him. He isn’t able to drive a line on his own and on top of that he draws stupid penalties. Poltapov and Yurov impressed me a lot more. I expected it from Yurov, Poltapov was a really positive surprise.

Reactions: Fantomas

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I mean we should be happy that they made the final.

But man, get ready. I hope I'm wrong, but I think it'll be ugly.

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
I waited for the game all day and half night and fell asleep after 5 minutes... how did we play? The criticized Miro and Chibrikov seem to have delivered?

Saw the Canada game: The Swedes showed two periods how to play against Canada. In principle, that's exactly our game in this tournament, let the opponent come and try to counter him. Sweden had good chances and several PPs - think we would make better use of our opportunities.

Side note, the Canadian players are always so polite (at least that's how the media tell us) yesterday they humiliated an opponent who had given up for a long time. The last three goals in particular are nothing to be proud of. The game was over, the Swedish goalkeeper was completely finished... He had to be cheered up in the meantime, even looked like he had been crying. So that’s about the great Canadian sportsmanship.

I hope for war today! If we don't have a chance, we'll take it!

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I waited for the game all day and half night and fell asleep after 5 minutes... how did we play? The criticized Miro and Chibrikov seem to have delivered?

Saw the Canada game: The Swedes showed two periods how to play against Canada. In principle, that's exactly our game in this tournament, let the opponent come and try to counter him. Sweden had good chances and several PPs - think we would make better use of our opportunities.

Side note, the Canadian players are always so polite (at least that's how the media tell us) yesterday they humiliated an opponent who had given up for a long time. The last three goals in particular are nothing to be proud of. The game was over, the Swedish goalkeeper was completely finished... He had to be cheered up in the meantime, even looked like he had been crying. So that’s about the great Canadian sportsmanship.

I hope for war today! If we don't have a chance, we'll take it!

I said this before, it's not easy to kill the clock in a blowout hockey game. Much easier in other sports like football, soccer, baseball and basketball.

How would you do it? Pass the puck around at the blue line? Not take a shot on goal when in scoring opportunity?

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
I said this before, it's not easy to kill the clock in a blowout hockey game. Much easier in other sports like football, soccer, baseball and basketball.

How would you do it? Pass the puck around at the blue line? Not take a shot on goal when in scoring opportunity?

It's not about stop playing, of course not. It's about the intensity... Canada tried really hard the last minutes (physically too) to totally destroy the Swedes. And you saw it on the reaction of the Sweden players. 5:1 down few minutes to play Sweden not even trying anymore... the game was over and everyone knew it.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
With these many flaws on this team (goaltending and d) we made it to the finals this is great!
We are likely getting killed tonight, but it sure was a fun ride. Still watching this, still rooting.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00