U18 Russian team

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Thoughts on this match? I only saw about half the game. Liked how Svechnikov, Samorukov, Maximov, Zhukov, Galenyuk and Lipanov played. Zhukov won Russia the game, I think he had to make like twice as many saves as the Swedish goalie. He's not getting enough credit for the 2017 draft, I think he's one of the best goalies in the draft.

gde

Apr 6, 2016
Thoughts on this match? I only saw about half the game. Liked how Svechnikov, Samorukov, Maximov, Zhukov, Galenyuk and Lipanov played. Zhukov won Russia the game, I think he had to make like twice as many saves as the Swedish goalie. He's not getting enough credit for the 2017 draft, I think he's one of the best goalies in the draft.
Offence
I definitely like 1st line, but I know that Lipanov could perform better.
2nd line. I dont want to be abusive after 1st game, but thier PP was terrible
3rd line. I have some convective feelings. Slepets and Maksimov are good in both offensive and defensive play, they can hold a puck, but they never even try to help each other in offensive zone, completly no forechecking. So scared to mistake?
4th line not bad, I hope Russian commentator at least will try to mention players names next game, so we could remember not only big moves
Deference
Every line were ready to fight.
1st line Samorukov :handclap: self-confident, good offence, no mistakes in deference.
2nd line Galenuk nice perform. But whole line had problems with 1st pass, mb it is our offence problem
Zhukov, stole the game for us

Last edited:

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Team is not clicking against US, terrible offense on PPs. Cant connect 2 passes in a row without turning it over. Maybe just one bad game.

Missing Kostin really hurts, he was great at the tournament last year. Not seeing anyone as dominant with the puck as he was last year. It would be interested to see how he would have dominated this year with Alexeyev back alongside (would have helped his case too).

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
The defense took Russia out of the game in the 2nd period. I give them credit for continuing to play when it looked like a major blowout was on the way. Of course Golubovich is inadequate, but he is just a byproduct of the failed RHF system. Same old failed defensive strategy of letting the opponent carry the puck across the blue line and pound the puck at the net, while the boys form a defensive circle around the crease. A Bronze Medal may be out of reach.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
On another note, Khovanov im assuming missed the age cutoff for the U17 tourny by a few days? Other notable omission from the roster is Starikov, injured? Denisienko & Zovgorodny with nice goals

Last edited:

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Getting outplayed by Belarus right now. Being Russian is the state of constant misery.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
All hope is with Bragin... if he stays. He will take over and form an adequate roster on U20 level.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
A lot of Russia's shortcoming can be attributed to coaching, and although Bragin is not the best defensive coach, he is overall the best coach in the system at any level, in my opinion.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
A lot of Russia's shortcoming can be attributed to coaching, and although Bragin is not the best defensive coach, he is overall the best coach in the system at any level, in my opinion.

If you could combine someone else picking the roster and the lineup with Bragin's coaching, that would probably be a very good team. :laugh:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
If you could combine someone else picking the roster and the lineup with Bragin's coaching, that would probably be a very good team. :laugh:

Bragin is perfect so far at picking rosters. What are you talking about?

Also the coaching problem narrative becomes a self propelled one. If I look at other nations... what exactly is the problem? I don't see other nations with some Tarasov/Bowman clones behind the bench.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
A real opportunity to go to the final with the matchups Russia is getting here.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru

Also the coaching problem narrative becomes a self propelled one. If I look at other nations... what exactly is the problem? I don't see other nations with some Tarasov/Bowman clones behind the bench.

In general I agree, one thing I do not like Bragin seems to shoot himself in the foot, by opting out of more creative players from the junior leagues, for the sake of more defensive character guys. Then goes on to complain - not enough skill.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

Bragin has a propensity to pick too many grinders who can't actually play, and leaves more skilled players at home, particularly younger players that probably would've been among Russia's best players. He gets good results because his system works and he coaches well along with Russia overall having among the most talented teams even without the younger players, but at times, Russia is too reliant on a few players.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
This is a one-line team. What a freaking disaster this was, cutting and not inviting many talented forwards in favor of several obvious scrubs.

Even if this team makes the final it will be pretty much on the backs of Svech/Chekhovich.

Someone has to explain to me what exactly is so special about Bitsadze.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Bragin has a propensity to pick too many grinders who can't actually play, and leaves more skilled players at home, particularly younger players that probably would've been among Russia's best players. He gets good results because his system works and he coaches well along with Russia overall having among the most talented teams even without the younger players, but at times, Russia is too reliant on a few players.

Bragin will cut guys who don't fit, and many of these types are CHLers who have to adjust from NA-taught habits.

Golubovich doesn't have this excuse. He simply cuts good players.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
In general I agree, one thing I do not like Bragin seems to shoot himself in the foot, by opting out of more creative players from the junior leagues, for the sake of more defensive character guys. Then goes on to complain - not enough skill.

Opting out of more creative players which never show much after that. And I never heard him complain.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He had players, he just didn't puck them. Svechnikov, Lipanov, Chekhovich, Popugayev, Khovanov, Kravtsov, Shvyryov, Kosorenkov, Abramov. He couldn't have picked two or three of those players?

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
He had players, he just didn't puck them. Svechnikov, Lipanov, Chekhovich, Popugayev, Khovanov, Kravtsov, Shvyryov, Kosorenkov, Abramov. He couldn't have picked two or three of those players?

I think Svechnikov would have been a good addition, even at 16. And I've always liked Abramov.

But I don't know about these other guys. Lipanov doesn't even look good at U18. Popugaev simply sucks. Chekhovich, Khovanov, Kravtsov are a little young. Shryrev has no pro experience.

One can justify Bragin's moves. He didn't pick a bad team. He certainly didn't leave off any elite talents, with the exception of the two 16 year olds.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I think Svechnikov would have been a good addition, even at 16. And I've always liked Abramov.

But I don't know about these other guys. Lipanov doesn't even look good at U18. Popugaev simply sucks. Chekhovich, Khovanov, Kravtsov are a little young. Shryrev has no pro experience.

One can justify Bragin's moves. He didn't pick a bad team. He certainly didn't leave off any elite talents, with the exception of the two 16 year olds.

idk, Abramov and Korostelev were surprising omissions, Sokolov and Smirnov could have helped too.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Popugaev does NOT suck, just not panning out a super star I had hoped he would

Not even having a look at Smirnov? NCAA is a stronger league, than CHL and he had a good season there, actually a very decent

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Well this year after the tournament he had an interview where he said that he had to play defensively because he didn't have enough good players, something like that.

And he was absolutely right and there weren't those skilled players he left out left and right. Even if this the narrative.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad