GDT: U18 Round Robin/QF's

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I’m saying that’s what it looks like coming into the tournament. Too early to make many conclusions from the games so far.

The goaltending is some of the best at the tournament. Sweden likely doesn’t have a goaltender that’ll be drafted this year and USA likely doesn’t have one that’ll be drafted in the first 3 rounds. Canada’s goaltending is probably the other good group. Czechia’s top goalie might be as strong as the best for Sweden and USA but nothing special. That’s it for goaltending.

Helenius playing at this tournament is big for Finland. He’s a legitimate star. Might be the highest pick for 2024 to play this year. Kiviharju has a chance to surprise. Players like Hemming and Vaisanen are very experienced at big IIHF tournaments compared to most of the players for the big four nations.

I agree with you about some of the bad roster decisions. I would’ve picked both Muhonen and Soini. They are two of my favorite Finn draft prospects for 2024. But I still think this is one of the best Finnish teams at one of these major IIHF junior tournaments in a number of years compared to the big four (since it became a big 4 with Russia being banned) and I don’t think any of the other big four nations are that strong, so Finland should believe this is their year.
Of course tournament is still young and anything can happen.
But if USA is not playing U18 WJC's gold medal game next sunday with that roster then they have failed.

I just don't like to talk or think winning a medal before quarterfinals.
That's why i'm cautious with expectations.

If Marko Kauppinen's U18 lions really do the same
what Jukka Jalonen's U20 lions did 2016 i'm positively surprised.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Good luck Slovakia.. a win today would go a long way for you! Tough matchup for sure!

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Härenstam goes down very quickly and is frequently beaten by shots up high from poor angles. Half the goals he has allowed have been that way/identical.

Poor game by Swe so far

Reactions: hockeyprospects9

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
Terrible last 5min of the 2nd ... Sweden got in the game with that completely stupid goal, and here I was thinking we actually started playing something for a while

But that last 5min was back in the shit

Reactions: Svedu

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
Benak cmon ... that was terrible .. whats with that guy .. completely invisible so far from the first friendly

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Still wondering what the f*** Jecho was thinking when he took that penalty. Not just obvious but right in front of the officials when they were already going to a powerplay.

Reactions: Czechboy

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
Well and thats it 2:2 .. ffs if we just convert any of that 100% chances ... terrible shooting

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad