Proposal: Nash NJ offseason

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
either way can go wrong.

i would make the pick. mostly because with saros you get one guaranteed year. the prospect you pick at 10 might bust. but you won't handicap your cap situation.

Yes, I agree. And just like Helle, the contract situation looms large. But at this point, I’m fine with letting go of the 10th OA and just seeing how it goes.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
No need to get crazy with it:

:nashville

10th OA

:devils
Saros

Can add something from either side, but basically that's it.
I agree with those who say any deal is contingent purely on Saros' contract extension demands.

If Saros would sign something "reasonable" like 5-6 yrs x $6-7M with no NMC, then the above is a bad trade for Nashville, because the Preds should keep Saros on that contract.

If Saros wants something bigger and wants an NMC included, then Nashville should instead be inclined to take a trade like the above... except... at that point, New Jersey should refuse, because they shouldn't want Saros on that kind of contract either.

Plus New Jersey does at least have other options to pursue in goal, including prospects coming. I don't think any of this is likely to be resolved by the Draft anyway, it will take a few teams on the goalie marketplace making moves including in Free Agency before the number of musical chairs left open on the goalie carousel is reduced to the point that any team is desperate enough to pay a high price or risk a huge contract extension on a goalie. And that happens after the Draft.

Reactions: QuizGuy66

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Good thing many GMs disagree.

Including Mike Grier, who wanted Holtz as the centerpiece in a Meier trade and Craig Conroy who wanted Holtz as the centerpiece of a markstrom trade.
I don't recall seeing that reported? I recall some speculation that Holtz could be moved in either trade but what you are suggesting goes well beyond that.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I don't recall seeing that reported? I recall some speculation that Holtz could be moved in either trade but what you are suggesting goes well beyond that.
Holtz as the centerpiece is what got Conroy to ask Markstrom to waive.

When Grier asked for Holtz, he was told if it was Holtz it would be basically 1 for 1.

Reactions: My3Sons

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
That's interesting. I'm surprised by that.
The dude put up 16 goals as a rookie this year, he took longer to get to the NHL so he's been labeled a bust.
He hasn't come close to living up to his draft slot yet, but NHL general managers/scouts still see the penitential that this place refuses to.

He's unlikely to be the 40 goal scorer NJ was hoping for when they took him but I could see him routinely hitting 20+

Reactions: HBK27 and My3Sons

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
The dude put up 16 goals as a rookie this year, he took longer to get to the NHL so he's been labeled a bust.
He hasn't come close to living up to his draft slot yet, but NHL general managers/scouts still see the penitential that this place refuses to.

He's unlikely to be the 40 goal scorer NJ was hoping for when they took him but I could see him routinely hitting 20+
You give him PP1 time and top 6 ice time and I would expect Holtz to score 30 goals next year.

On a line with for example, Palat and Haula, I'd expect 20 next year easily with no PP1 time.

He has his struggles defensively and is certainly not a play driver, but he can score.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
You give him PP1 time and top 6 ice time and I would expect Holtz to score 30 goals next year.

On a line with for example, Palat and Haula, I'd expect 20 next year easily with no PP1 time.

He has his struggles defensively and is certainly not a play driver, but he can score.
If a team ever puts him on PP1 where he can stand still and shoot the puck 30 is a possibility for sure

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
There isn't anything wrong with Holtz. Just he's a winger who won't be a star player. He can be a good complementary scorer. The thing is, those aren't rare, neither in prospect pools nor on the UFA market. It's not a position that addresses any need for the Preds, for example. Nor for many other teams. You don't trade a player who is one of your top 3 players over the past 5 years for somebody who projects into that lesser category.

By the same token, Casey has had a nice NCAA career and I understand why prospect fans are enamored with him. However he's pretty much exactly the type of defender the Preds also don't have any need of. Of course, he's better than Ufko, but the Preds already have a surfeit of undersized PMD-style defenders... adding another one doesn't really advance the program.

Holtz and Casey can be very good prospects/players and still not really come close to checking any boxes for Nashville. Maybe if Calgary or some other team on the starting goalie market has a different depth chart, they can be far more valuable to those teams? It doesn't imply there is anything wrong with Holtz or Casey if they aren't the kinds of prospects Nashville is in need of. The 10OA pick is definitely a more valuable asset to Nashville than those guys are.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
If a team ever puts him on PP1 where he can stand still and shoot the puck 30 is a possibility for sure
He'd be an excellent guy for the sniper role on a power play 100%.

I think a role alongside Haula and Palat as defensively responsible veterans who can still provide some offense would be good for him next year.

Reactions: HugeInTheShire

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I agree with those who say any deal is contingent purely on Saros' contract extension demands.

If Saros would sign something "reasonable" like 5-6 yrs x $6-7M with no NMC, then the above is a bad trade for Nashville, because the Preds should keep Saros on that contract.

If Saros wants something bigger and wants an NMC included, then Nashville should instead be inclined to take a trade like the above... except... at that point, New Jersey should refuse, because they shouldn't want Saros on that kind of contract either.

Plus New Jersey does at least have other options to pursue in goal, including prospects coming. I don't think any of this is likely to be resolved by the Draft anyway, it will take a few teams on the goalie marketplace making moves including in Free Agency before the number of musical chairs left open on the goalie carousel is reduced to the point that any team is desperate enough to pay a high price or risk a huge contract extension on a goalie. And that happens after the Draft.
Something just tells me Saros will want term and some form of trade protection more so than he does the money. I've said it for a while now on the Preds boards, this issue with signing Saros for anyone won't really be the cap hit, it will be whether they are willing to give him max term and a NMC.

I mean basically from the whispers we've heard leak out its more about control for him than the actual dollars.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Something just tells me Saros will want term and some form of trade protection more so than he does the money. I've said it for a while now on the Preds boards, this issue with signing Saros for anyone won't really be the cap hit, it will be whether they are willing to give him max term and a NMC.

I mean basically from the whispers we've heard leak out its more about control for him than the actual dollars.
Whispers? There have been none. Zero. We have no idea what he's looking for.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
I'm fine with paying either of those for Saros....*if* they are okay with the contract.

Saros' upcoming contract is a bigger issue than the trade compensation.
IMO both are the problem. Mercer has lots of value as a cost-controlled RFA and this pick has quite high chance to also become an asset with an excellent quality/salary ratio. And I don't believe Saros is .915 SV% goalie behind our defense.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Neutral fan here, wondering what the Predators need at this time (C with offensive upside??). The D group looks solid if mid behind Josi (not sure what's in the pipeline), while the forwards seem to have a bunch of prospects, and Askarov's one of the best goalie prospects so that's not a need.

If it's a young C, I could definitely see the Mercer+ requests, though him with 10th OA probably is too high. Probably either Mercer plus a 2025 second OR 10th overall?

• Haha
Reactions: Xirik

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
There isn't anything wrong with Holtz. Just he's a winger who won't be a star player. He can be a good complementary scorer. The thing is, those aren't rare, neither in prospect pools nor on the UFA market. It's not a position that addresses any need for the Preds, for example. Nor for many other teams. You don't trade a player who is one of your top 3 players over the past 5 years for somebody who projects into that lesser category.

By the same token, Casey has had a nice NCAA career and I understand why prospect fans are enamored with him. However he's pretty much exactly the type of defender the Preds also don't have any need of. Of course, he's better than Ufko, but the Preds already have a surfeit of undersized PMD-style defenders... adding another one doesn't really advance the program.

Holtz and Casey can be very good prospects/players and still not really come close to checking any boxes for Nashville. Maybe if Calgary or some other team on the starting goalie market has a different depth chart, they can be far more valuable to those teams? It doesn't imply there is anything wrong with Holtz or Casey if they aren't the kinds of prospects Nashville is in need of. The 10OA pick is definitely a more valuable asset to Nashville than those guys are.

while I don't disagree with your overall point, Holtz has an elite shot. You can't teach that. A guy like Tyler Toffoli has made a nice career for himself by having an elite shot with not many other redeeming qualities.

the problem this past year with Holtz was he was not given any PP time and he was being played consistently on the 4th line and he still scored 16 goals as a 21 year old. I'm not claiming he is ever going to be some elite player, and for a top 10 pick he will probably end up being a disappointment, but I see no reason he can't be a 25 goal/50 point winger.

this is not to say he is worth Saros because I don't think he is and I doubt Nashville would either.

Neutral fan here, wondering what the Predators need at this time (C with offensive upside??). The D group looks solid if mid behind Josi (not sure what's in the pipeline), while the forwards seem to have a bunch of prospects, and Askarov's one of the best goalie prospects so that's not a need.

If it's a young C, I could definitely see the Mercer+ requests, though him with 10th OA probably is too high. Probably either Mercer plus a 2025 second OR 10th overall?

Mercer is not really a center though. I mean, he can play there in a pinch for sure, but he is a significantly worse center than he is winger.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

I thought Mercer was a winger.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
IMO both are the problem. Mercer has lots of value as a cost-controlled RFA and this pick has quite high chance to also become an asset with an excellent quality/salary ratio. And I don't believe Saros is .915 SV% goalie behind our defense.
I don't really view Mercer as a core component. Nice player, and there's some value in terms of play / contract, though I'm not sure how much because I'm not sure what the expectation of his contract is. But Mercer isn't a guy I'm afraid of losing either. He's a nice player. His role is also not the hardest to replace if we are being honest.

If they are okay with signing Saros (I don't think the Devils analytics department would be and I don't think devils fans love that idea either) to a long term deal, a Mercer / Saros deal just isn't that big of a deal for me. Saros could certainly tank after acquisition, or the Mercer that showed up this year could be closer to what he is moving forward. We just don't have a way to tell the future in that regard. But I'm okay with taking that risk. But again, its Saros' contract that is the issue, most likely.

The #10 pick could certainly have incredible value. It could also be Michael Rassmussen. It's a magic bean. We all know what's what with that. Could be great, could be terrible. Could be a whatever. It's a high variance resource which has an enticement that varies person to person based on various factors. If you value that more than Saros, that's fine. I definitely understand it. Especially in this draft.

I thought Mercer was a winger.

He's gotten time at center but it hasn't looked great. Long term I think he's a winger who can fill in center if you need him

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Whispers? There have been none. Zero. We have no idea what he's looking for.
Numbers wise no, but there was some stuff earlier in the season that came out that let us know pretty clearly he wanted control and to be a starter for the long term. He wasn't interested in being a starter for 2-3 years to hand it over to someone else.

If a player is wanting control over his career he is going to want some form of a NMC/NTC.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Numbers wise no, but there was some stuff earlier in the season that came out that let us know pretty clearly he wanted control and to be a starter for the long term. He wasn't interested in being a starter for 2-3 years to hand it over to someone else.

If a player is wanting control over his career he is going to want some form of a NMC/NTC.
Assuming he cares about being a #1 over the long-term, seeks that range of money, and isn't a "I just want to spend my entire career in Nashville" type, it would be very naive of him not to ask for a NMC/NTC. I'd be shocked really, and if he signed a long-term contract without one would probably expect it followed by news of an Askarov trade.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
I don't really view Mercer as a core component. Nice player, and there's some value in terms of play / contract, though I'm not sure how much because I'm not sure what the expectation of his contract is. But Mercer isn't a guy I'm afraid of losing either. He's a nice player. His role is also not the hardest to replace if we are being honest.

If they are okay with signing Saros (I don't think the Devils analytics department would be and I don't think devils fans love that idea either) to a long term deal, a Mercer / Saros deal just isn't that big of a deal for me. Saros could certainly tank after acquisition, or the Mercer that showed up this year could be closer to what he is moving forward. We just don't have a way to tell the future in that regard. But I'm okay with taking that risk. But again, its Saros' contract that is the issue, most likely.

The #10 pick could certainly have incredible value. It could also be Michael Rassmussen. It's a magic bean. We all know what's what with that. Could be great, could be terrible. Could be a whatever. It's a high variance resource which has an enticement that varies person to person based on various factors. If you value that more than Saros, that's fine. I definitely understand it. Especially in this draft.

He's gotten time at center but it hasn't looked great. Long term I think he's a winger who can fill in center if you need him
Mercer just turned 22 had 56 points last year and in a down year for the whole team still had 20 goals not the player you trade....

Reactions: My3Sons

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
He's fine. I'm really not all that concerned about it if he's moved
imo the devils have four untouchables (and most devils fans agree):
- hischier
- j.hughes
- l.hughes
- nemec

every other player from a team perspective can be discussed in trade proposals.

now we will enjoy offers like gallagher for bratt ++ :sarcasm:

Reactions: Forge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad