GDT: U18 Final day (USA-CAN, SWE-SVK)

WayTooCold

Jun 9, 2023
Gold medal game great as usual.
Even w/o the 5 min headshot, Canada had all the momentum.
This was the 3rd USA-Canada final in a row? Women, U18 women and now U18 men.

HaveKnifeWillButcher

Apr 23, 2018
Love Connelly's game. Very skilled with the puck, great shot. Throws a nice body check where the main point of contact is the shoulder even though the Canadian player stays down and sells it. The fact that leftist a-holes on here think he's a nazi makes me like him even more.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: NyQuil and Jimmy71

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Always impressive when a team can come in and take this tournament from the Americans. Feel like the U18 has been getting better and better in quality each year though.

Reactions: Rob

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Canadian Fans on HF during the Gold Medal Game...

Early on...

1714945784631.png

1714945241935.png

1714945271069.png

Attachments

• 1714945220580.png
    1714945220580.png
    530.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Our pessimism really bothers you eh? lol
LOL! I hate it, my friend.

As I read thru the posts, I could NOT believe all the ugliness from Canadian posters - although I should have expected it. Then, in the blink of an eye, it was One Great BIG Canadian Love Fest !!!

SHAME on so many of the Canadian posters here !

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
LOL!!!! I hate it, my friend.

As I read thru the posts, I could NOT believe all the ugliness from Canadian posters - although I should have seen it coming. Then, in the blink of an eye, it was One Great BIG Canadian Love Fest !!!
Well, some criticism was in order, the U.S tuned us up for 40 minutes. It's one thing to be playing your best and getting eaten alive but it's another when you are playing well below your potential. I get that they are kids and all but this is part of becoming battle tested.

We got on them, they got on their selves and they turned it around.

Toughen them up.

• Haha
Reactions: ORRFForever

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
That's not the point. The negativity of my fellow Canadians is shameful.
Sounds like Finnish fans, everyone does it.- And to be fair Canadians had a reason to be pessimistic since US was the favourite here and outshot Canada clearly even if they didn't have much going in the 3rd.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
I really didn’t think Canada would be able to give the USNTDP a good run for their money given who we were able to ice for this tournament. They were significantly outclassed for the majority of the game but they didn’t quit, got a second goal that slowed the Americans’ momentum, and then Connelly’s idiotic move gave them a glorious opportunity that dramatically changed the game for us. Good on them for not giving up!

Reactions: jj cale

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Sounds like Finnish fans, everyone does it.- And to be fair Canadians had a reason to be pessimistic since US was the favourite here and outshot Canada clearly even if they didn't have much going in the 3rd.
Not the U.S. fans - to their credit, they are eternal optimists. God bless them for it.

Canadians are known for being pessimists and the rep is well earned.

Last edited:
Reactions: FinPanda

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I really didn’t think Canada would be able to give the USNTDP a good run for their money given who we were able to ice for this tournament. They were significantly outclassed for the majority of the game but they didn’t quit, got a second goal that slowed the Americans’ momentum, and then Connelly’s idiotic move gave them a glorious opportunity that dramatically changed the game for us. Good on them for not giving up!
???

Canada had a fine team - even missing all the players that @Dominance mentioned. Our 3rd period struggles against the Swedes worked in our favour - adversity before the GMG is always a bonus. Add the fact that the U.S. didn't play any tough teams all tournament, not even in the playoffs, and I knew we'd be more than fine when the chips were down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dominance

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
They asked him about his goal that put the U.S. up 2-1, and he said something to the effect of “that’s just what Cole Eiserman does.”

Can’t say I’m sad they lost.
LOL, did he really say that?? haha

Are there really fans in here that believe Connelly should not have been given a 5?

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
???

Canada had a fine team - even missing all the players that @Dominance mentioned. Our struggles against the Swedes worked in our favour - adversity before the GMG is always a bonus. Add the fact that the U.S. didn't play anyone tough all tournament and I knew we'd be more than fine when the chips were down.
Yes they absolutely had a fine team, we just had the possibility of being considerably better and not so reliant on underage players. Which would have been unusual for us at U18, we rarely have many of our best players at this tournament when they are in their draft eligible seasons and ready for heavy lifting.

It was very disheartening when Catton and Lindstrom weren’t able to go. I wasn’t expecting the Knights or the Spirit or the Cougars to lose early in their playoffs so I was prepared for those players to not make it, I just wasn’t prepared for Catton and Lindstrom. So that was the reason for my worried mindset if that makes sense.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Yes they absolutely had a fine team, we just had the possibility of being considerably better and not so reliant on underage players. Which would have been unusual for us at U18, we rarely have many of our best players at this tournament when they are in their draft eligible seasons and ready for heavy lifting.

It was very disheartening when Catton and Lindstrom weren’t able to go. I wasn’t expecting the Knights or the Spirit or the Cougars to lose early in their playoffs so I was prepared for those players to not make it, I just wasn’t prepared for Catton and Lindstrom. So that was the reason for my worried mindset if that makes sense.
Great post. Well said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad