GDT: U18 Final day (USA-CAN, SWE-SVK)

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
These battles between USA and Canada are like good ol' Soviets vs USA battles back in the days. Communism vs capitalism, comrades took this one.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Rebel news says yes, good one lol
Fox News of the North. :)

No Putin lovers in Canada...
Yes, but do we have any Castro lovers in HIGH places?

Or, more precisely, any Castro offspring in HIGH places?

Gardiner MacDougall has so much hair, he looks like he's wearing a hairpiece.

Lucky bastard!

Last edited:
Reactions: jj cale

Guy In Burlington

Mar 17, 2022
LOL, did he really say that?? haha
Yes. Instant eye roll.

Fox News of the North. :)

Yes, but do we have any Castro lovers in HIGH places?

Or, more precisely, any Castro offspring in HIGH places?

Gardiner MacDougall has so much hair, he looks like he's wearing a hairpiece.

Lucky bastard!
Gardiner MacDougall looks like Marc Crawford with a mustache.

Reactions: ORRFForever

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
In case anyone wants a 2nd viewing, the game is on TSN 2.

Touché.

Well played, young man.
Had to give the 3rd another go - what a period.
Canada controlled it right as soon as we killed our penalty at the start. USA didn't even get a shot on net until the 13 min mark. After 2 periods shots were 31-11 USA. Third was 14-3 for Canada.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Canada controlled it right as soon as we killed our penalty at the start. USA didn't even get a shot on net until the 13 min mark. After 2 periods shots were 31-11 USA. Third was 14-3 for Canada.
Rewatching the 1st period, it wasn't near as lopsided as the 2nd. The U.S. was better but not much better. Canada was sloppy - which did not help.

It's such a different experience watching it a 2nd time - the first time is MUCH harder on the ticker.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
The thing is, at least we weren't under siege almost from puck drop in period 3. As for the penalty, did the Americans think they weren't going to take another penalty at some point? well, p.k is part of the game and wasn't it the best p.k in the tournament? it failed when it counted, that's part of the game.

This game really was on the shoulders of George and the ability of this team to hurt you when it had it's chances, we just needed to get those chances.........that's hockey.. And lest we forget, goaltenders are a part of the team. It was wonderful to watch one of our goalies steal one . we sure need more of that.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Rewatching the 1st period, it wasn't near as lopsided as the 2nd. The U.S. was better but not much better. Canada was sloppy - which did not help.

It's such a different experience watching it a 2nd time - the first time is MUCH harder on the ticker.
I think @jj cale would agree with me here, but those early penalties against us kind of made the boys a little more timid, scared to be physical - which is what we needed. The Americans kind of took over and were just wheeling around having a great time.
It was too easy thru 40 for them, and they couldn't handle it when we pushed back.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I think @jj cale would agree with me here, but those early penalties against us kind of made the boys a little more timid, scared to be physical - which is what we needed. The Americans kind of took over and were just wheeling around having a great time.
It was too easy thru 40 for them, and they couldn't handle it when we pushed back.
Honestly I don't know if was that or just nerves and the fact they were skating us into the ground, again...I don't think we were getting a ton of chances early in the third but neither were they, a sharp contrast to the first 40 minutes. No question that penalty hurt them. but you have to weather those storms.

George was certainly the M.V.P of that game.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Not the U.S. fans - to their credit, they are eternal optimists. God bless them for it.

Canadians are known for being pessimists and the rep is well earned.
Have you read our board today? You certainly haven’t cornered the market on pessimism.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The thing is, at least we weren't under siege almost from puck drop in period 3. As for the penalty, did the Americans think they weren't going to take another penalty at some point? well, p.k is part of the game and wasn't it the best p.k in the tournament? it failed when it counted, that's part of the game.

This game really was on the shoulders of George and the ability of this team to hurt you when it had it's chances, we just needed to get those chances.........that's hockey.. And lest we forget, goaltenders are a part of the team. It was wonderful to watch one of our goalies steal one . we sure need more of that.
It's funny how we see things differently on a 2nd viewing.

8 minutes into 2nd and the shot total is 14/8 for the U.S. and score is 1 to 1. Not exactly a landslide.

When we are worried/stressed, everything looks worse than it is. Watching it a 2nd time has provided a different perspective.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
It's funny how you / I see things differently on a 2nd viewing.

8 minutes into 2nd and the shot total is 14/8 for the U.S. and score is 1 to 1. Not exactly a landslide.

When you are worried/stressed, everything looks worse than it is. Watching it a 2nd time has provided a different perspective.
14 to 8 is deceiving there however, they almost completely controlled pace for 40 minutes. they were in our end a lot.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Have you read our board today? You certainly haven’t cornered the market on pessimism.
I can't speak for today but, in general, Americans are VERY optimistic people.

14 to 8 is deceiving there however, they almost completely controlled pace for 40 minutes. they were in our end a lot.
For me, on 2nd viewing, we weren't as bad as I remember.

I remember the 2nd half of the 2nd period being BAD / VERY worrisome. My guess : My memory is accurate.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Unlike this morning, I am watching with the sound ON. Craig Buttons talks and talks and talks and talks.

If I hear Cole Caufield's name one more time, I may vomit.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Wow. Vegas is OUT.

Semis...

Edmonton vs Colorado

Florida vs NYR

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad