U18 draft

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
To be a smartass....I bet the U18 players that get drafted....but the boards seem pretty quiet on the topic
Hope nobody takes my post to be critical of the kids in this draft. The lack of mention of the U18 was precisely why I made the thread.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Just a quick scroll through eliteprospects, these might be names to look out for tonight. Not an exhaustive list but just to give an idea of who might be taken.

u18.PNG

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I'll throw a few more out there from the GNML:

Cole Cond - F - Sault Greyhounds 1.25 pts/gm
Jacob Smith - C - Sault Greyhounds 1.17 pts/gm
Gabe Palumbo - RW - Sault Greyhounds 1.14 pts/gm
Anthony Boyes - North Bay Trappers 1.11 pts/gm
Callum McAuley - LW - Sault Greyhounds 0.93 pts/gm

U18 stats websites:
GNML
ETA
SCTA
Alliance

Top scorer in ETA was Nathan Leek - Barrie - 1.67 pts/gm, undrafted although he's an '05

Last edited:
Reactions: ZinErie

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
Do teams "pass" on the U18 like they do for the import draft or does everyone take a player or two?

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
Almost all of the players selected are 2006 birth year and, therefore, they were bypassed last April. Sometimes a player needs extra time to grow and learn. It will be a tough road for them, but I wish them the best.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
Almost all of the players selected are 2006 birth year and, therefore, they were bypassed last April. Sometimes a player needs extra time to grow and learn. It will be a tough road for them, but I wish them the best.
Yup .. if the NHL misses players when selecting basically fully grown men then the OHL is surely overlooking kids the first time around when they’re 15/16!
At least 2 of those U18 1st rounders last night are playing in the league next season

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
The Spirit had 3 on their roster this year...Lincoln Moore, Calem Mangone and Ian Phillips. They also dressed a 4th last year in Charlie Fink but he did not make the squad this year and went a different route.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
The Spirit had 3 on their roster this year...Lincoln Moore, Calem Mangone and Ian Phillips. They also dressed a 4th last year in Charlie Fink but he did not make the squad this year and went a different route.
Wolves in a similar situation, I believe they've had at least one pick on the roster every year since the U18 draft has started.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
So who's getting excited for the U18 draft? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
This draft is a bit more of shot in the dark, in the whole grand scheme of development.

You might get a gem in the mix who might have a decent career in the league and you might get a second look at a kid you might have missed his chance in the Priority Selection. At the end of the day OS GM said it best at the teams award BBQ in the summer every season "Getting drafted or invited to an OHL camp is an opportunity, and every kid gets the chance to showcase what they can do" The kids who take that opportunity and run with it will likely progress forward in this league or any other somewhere.

In OS case we've had a few players come through these "second chance" kids and have had decent careers in the OHL. Best of luck to all these kids on getting a chance at the OHL and who knows where they may end up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad