U17 World Hockey Challenge

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Probably just a polite question:sarcasm::D
The USNTDP is their elite development program.
We are going to get killed, aren't we?

2 Canada's instead of 3 makes both teams stronger.

US with their elite

Swedes with a great age group.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Is that the big boy team? Eg. the best? Or the thing they send to Hlinka?lol
The USNDTP is the "big boy" team, but the U17s have not performed particularly well thus far to start the season. They are 3-7-0 overall and winless against USHL competition, with two of their wins coming against Minnesota High School all stars (which are likely a notch below NAHL). Last year's U-17 group (the current U-18s) had about three wins against USHL teams at this time last season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Dont worry atleast youll have finland there to beat up on!
I doubt it.. aren't they back on track after a weak draft year (for their good standards)?

I'm actually excited about our team and tourney but have very low expectations. I really enjoyed last years team and they got killed but you could see some of the talent.. the talent showed up at Hlinka and killed it. We are always late to the game.lol

Reactions: Goodman68

ddlennon

May 1, 2018
Helsinki
I doubt it.. aren't they back on track after a weak draft year (for their good standards)?

I'm actually excited about our team and tourney but have very low expectations. I really enjoyed last years team and they got killed but you could see some of the talent.. the talent showed up at Hlinka and killed it. We are always late to the game.lol
Thats the 06 group, 07s dont seem to have the top talent nor the depth

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Love this tournament. Quality hockey and I like that you get to see so many Canadian top prospects in one event. I personally would not mind a U.S. ”Best of the rest” team being added. I.E. the top players not in the NTDP.

Also, often the first time Euro teams get to face NA teams, providing a decent indicator of how well they measure up.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Love this tournament. Quality hockey and I like that you get to see so many Canadian top prospects in one event. I personally would not mind a U.S. ”Best of the rest” team being added. I.E. the top players not in the NTDP.

Also, often the first time Euro teams get to face NA teams, providing a decent indicator of how well they measure up.
Agree... a second US squad would be nice. They have the depth for that. Arguably, so would Sweden.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The USNDTP is the "big boy" team, but the U17s have not performed particularly well thus far to start the season. They are 3-7-0 overall and winless against USHL competition, with two of their wins coming against Minnesota High School all stars (which are likely a notch below NAHL). Last year's U-17 group (the current U-18s) had about three wins against USHL teams at this time last season.
That’s normal though. USHL teams with 19 and 20 year olds are going to kick the ass of U17’s. I don’t think the 2006’s are that good outside the big 3. It doesn’t sound like this team is gonna be good either, but they still should have a good chance at this tournament. The 2006’s won it easily, and they weren’t that good.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
That’s normal though. USHL teams with 19 and 20 year olds are going to kick the ass of U17’s. I don’t think the 2006’s are that good outside the big 3. It doesn’t sound like this team is gonna be good either, but they still should have a good chance at this tournament. The 2006’s won it easily, and they weren’t that good.
2006s at least had a few superstars, not sure what the 2007s have in that regard

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
Slovakia will send their 8 best 2007 players to a different U18 and U20 tournament.

Seven 2007 -> U18
One 2007 -> U20

Wrong thread :eek3:

Last edited:

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
So Benak is going after all. They added him to the roster.
As a result, the possibility of him playing in the junior championship probably disappears. It would probably be too much for him physically.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Seems like it was either U18 or U17, in which case this U17 tournament is the only right choice.

That means Czechs are pretty much at full strenght, argument can be made for Bartovic and Fajmon missing, but that's about it.
How do you like the teams chances?

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I hope Benak gets triple gold this year...

Silver at Hlinka
Gold at U17 next week
Gold at U20 at Xmas
Gold at U18 at Easter

Then send him to the Czech hall of fame and retire his jersey.lol
Not even a gold at the WCs for a quadruple smh.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
It's for the best to keep expectations low. Addition of Benak could make them possibly a dark horse for a medal finish, but for majority of players it's the first time they get to face truly world class opponents.
Thanks

Benak might really tilt it for us.

My original guess was we get blown out twice, have a close game and then maybe win a close playoff game at a 50-50 chance.

Now, with Benak, I say only 1 blowout and maybe we win a close playoff game.lol He tilted the ice at Hlinka and curious how he looks here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad