U.S. National Team Part VII

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
That would set us back as younger dual nationals we're trying to lure decide to join other federations because we seem less competitive.

Eh, most of the dual nationals that we pick up are because they won't get much playing time on the other national team or historically we are a much better national team than the other option. One World Cup won't change historical performances. For the other scenario, a mediocre German-American will still always choose to play for the USA because they have no chance of playing for Germany.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Can we say the match vs Panama is the most important one we will play since the WCQ vs T&T in 1989?

It will be, right till we have a stupid draw and wind up playing Australia in the freaking playoff :P

Didn't we struggle to get out of the first phase even before the Hex a couple times though? I think even last year.

Last edited:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
If they're gonna go with a semi-German title, they should have at least made it Der Amerikaner so it's proper German. Das American is dumb

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I really wish some of the Americans on ESPN FC would stop acting like this is the most talented group we've ever had or that we aren't in a down cycle. Herc is insufferable on this. We are weak all over the pitch compared to previous years except for maybe the spots where Pulisic will lineup in. I think sooner than later we'll be stronger at CB once the youngers guys finally get some time, but right now, that positions sucks too.

And even with as good as Pulisic is, since the team is weaker elsewhere, in certain games his effectiveness can be less than Donovan's or Dempsey's was.

Reactions: Chimaera

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I really wish some of the Americans on ESPN FC would stop acting like this is the most talented group we've ever had or that we aren't in a down cycle. Herc is insufferable on this. We are weak all over the pitch compared to previous years except for maybe the spots where Pulisic will lineup in. I think sooner than later we'll be stronger at CB once the youngers guys finally get some time, but right now, that positions sucks too.

And even with as good as Pulisic is, since the team is weaker elsewhere, in certain games his effectiveness can be less than Donovan's or Dempsey's was.

I don't know that this group isn't better than some of the past sides that the US has put out. But what is true is that other nations that we probably could have steam rolled are much more competitive, and they're much better away from home. There was a good period of time in CONCACAF where other than going to just awful stadiums, the US could count on drubbing pretty much everyone other than Mexico at home. Then when Mexico ran into manager or player pool issues, even the US could beat them.

I'd make the argument, for what it's worth, Honduras, Costa Rica, Panama, and Mexico are all much better. When you compound that with the US going through a crappy overrated manager for a while, and many of their young players not getting experience or reaching their potential, we are where they are. I also think if you add in one more solid defender, and it's a bit of a different story, but I'm not sure that's possible.

However, there's an article in the ringer the other day promoting the u17 USA side, and what they recount is kinda true. The US has really failed to produce much in the last few cycles in the u17-u20 that's worth a ton. They've only gotten three or four players where they needed a lot more to overhaul the entire side. One of the things they don't account for is that with the explosion of the sport in the US to an extent with more and more opportunities for player development, as the young kids go overseas, it's a double edged sword. Sure, moving to Europe is fine and all, but if you're a 15 or 16 year old kid moving to Ajax or Dortmund or wherever, the chances of you getting playing time you need are not a sure thing. The step up is also massive.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Missing the World Cup would be awful and a world wide embarassment, but I don't think it would kill any momentum that we have built up. If anything it may actually be a catalyst for us to improve in every aspect of the sport. But I'd much prefer we don't miss.

As for the talented players argument, I do think this team is probably the most talented group or at least up there. But that doesn't mean we are a good team. I don't think this team could beat the 2002 team personally. There are a lot of flaws with the team as it stands. If you go by position we lack a lot of depth behind our starters. Look no further than when Jozy got injured in the last World cup. And even in 2010 when Charlie Davies got hurt we actually started Robbie freaking Findley in a World Cup match. But regardless of who we bring in or start this team should be good enough to qualify for the World Cup even if the competition has gotten better. There's really no excuse at this point.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Lineup is out

Howard;Yedlin, Gonzalez, Besler, Villafana; Arriola, Bradley, Nagbe, Pulisic; Altidore, Wood

Pulisic starting in the middle. Gonzalez in for Cameron and obviously Yedlin in for Zusi.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Lineup is out

Howard;Yedlin, Gonzalez, Besler, Villafana; Arriola, Bradley, Nagbe, Pulisic; Altidore, Wood

Pulisic starting in the middle. Gonzalez in for Cameron and obviously Yedlin in for Zusi.
I don't think Pulisic is starting in the middle. I think it will be Nagbe in the middle with Bradley and Pulisic down the left with Arriola down right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad