GDT: U-18 WJC Day 11 Bronze medal game and final

Status
Not open for further replies.

razor ray

May 8, 2011
WH Bonney,

Why is Olsen projected as such a low draft pick? He looks as solid as anyone in goal.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
WH Bonney,

Why is Olsen projected as such a low draft pick? He looks as solid as anyone in goal.

Haven't seen enough of him to say for sure but I'd say it's two things: 1) He's seen as a product of an unreal d-corps. Playing in front of Jones, Trouba, Skjei, Sieloff, etc. is a big help obviously. 2) He's still stiff and rigid.

He's got potential though. He came into the NTDP as a real project and he's made obvious strides. He's worth a mid-round pick IMO. Let him take his time to develop at Ohio State even further. Could pan out.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Canada should get the silver for managing to score some goals on that defence. Congrats U.S.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
This one was really shocking. I really expected a much better showing from the Swedes than this.

Congratulations to the US team. They had a remarkable tournament. It's strange how US teams always seem to perform badly when I feel good about them yet very well when I doubt them.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
This one was really shocking. I really expected a much better showing from the Swedes than this.

Congratulations to the US team. They had a remarkable tournament. It's strange how US teams always seem to perform badly when I feel good about them yet very well when I doubt them.

Not so sure why you would feel that way. No doubt there are some very highly rated and top end Swedes but it takes 23 to field a team. The overall depth that the USA has is tough to counter especially a hand picked team that has played together for a full season.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Not so sure why you would feel that way. No doubt there are some very highly rated and top end Swedes but it takes 23 to field a team. The overall depth that the USA has is tough to counter especially a hand picked team that has played together for a full season.

The Swedes just seemed to have a particularly strong group this year and I felt that the depth of talent amongst their forwards would give them enough to outscore the US forwards. The US defensive dominance in this tournament wasn't something I really anticipated as they hadn't really shown this ability previously this year. The US team clearly peaked at the right time.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The Swedes just seemed to have a particularly strong group this year and I felt that the depth of talent amongst their forwards would give them enough to outscore the US forwards. The US defensive dominance in this tournament wasn't something I really anticipated as they hadn't really shown this ability previously this year. The US team clearly peaked at the right time.

This particular tournament is where the USNTDP concept really shines. You could see the overall team discipline and attention to details that just wasn't there with the other teams (and understandably so). It's shame we can't get the same kind of results at the U20 level (which is the progressive idea of the program). The divergence once a kid has to make the CHL/NCAA choice really throws a monkeywrench in the works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad