Value of: Tyler Toffoli

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Zuccarello only got conditional 2nd and 3rd in 2018-2019 and he was 15th in points between 2016-2017 and 2018-2019 among RW and 12th in assists.

Toffoli is a better goal scorer so I think we can expect low 1st and a 2nd or a B prospect.

Zuccarello was going to be UFA, so that makes a huge difference.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Habs would be smart to retain 50% and gain as much assets as possible.

I don’t think they would be smart to do it on Toffoli unless they get a really big return. Toffoli has value himself and is signed for two more years. I’d much rather trade Toffoli for futures and a cap dump on an existing contract. That way Montreal can eat that cap dump for the rest of the year and be rid of it.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
1st + Valimaki + forward prospect for a 50% retained Toffoli

Forward prospect is any one not named Pelletier or Zary

Don't see Montreal doing that. Late 1st is fine, but I don't see the Habs having much interest in Valimaki.

Habs might really like Coronato a lot (I don't follow prospects that much), but they have a couple of undersized wingers in the system with decent upside (including Coronato's teammate Farrell). Then again, it seems likely that his name was inadvertently not excluded.

I generally think Toffoli at 50% probably gets a better fitting package (or piece) for Montreal.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
The Flames are not giving up a 1st and Valimaki. I don't see Valimaki on the table. Despite his troubles and injury issues, the Flames have put a lot of effort into developing him, and he is doing very well in the AHL this year.

I don't think that's an issue, I doubt Montreal would have much interest in Valimaki anyways. They've got young LD that they need spots for development anyways.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I don’t think they would be smart to do it on Toffoli unless they get a really big return. Toffoli has value himself and is signed for two more years. I’d much rather trade Toffoli for futures and a cap dump on an existing contract. That way Montreal can eat that cap dump for the rest of the year and be rid of it.

A contender might pay through the nose for a low cost Toffoli.

Like Penguins looking for that one last run with Crosby, Malkin and Letang.

Ledge And Dairy

Don't see Montreal doing that. Late 1st is fine, but I don't see the Habs having much interest in Valimaki.

Habs might really like Coronato a lot (I don't follow prospects that much), but they have a couple of undersized wingers in the system with decent upside (including Coronato's teammate Farrell). Then again, it seems likely that his name was inadvertently not excluded.

I generally think Toffoli at 50% probably gets a better fitting package (or piece) for Montreal.
When was the last time someone like Toffoli (good 2nd liner) returned a prospect of Coronato's caliber?

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
And we see how well that turned out, to no ones surprise Forsberg became a star player and that trade almost instantly looked awful

That's cool. We're also assuming that:

1) Coronato has the same upside (offensively he does, but he's got size concerns) and will reach that upside.
2) A 31 year old Martin Erat and a 29/30 year old Toffoli are the same player (Toffoli's probably better).
3) Erat with a cap hit of 4.5 mil (in a 70, 64, 69 mil cap era) and Toffoli with a 2.125 mil cap hit (in a 81.5 mil cap era) is comparable (it very clearly is not).
4) Toffoli will immediately fall of a cliff like Erat.

It was bad trade that ended up looking much worse for Washington. Doesn't mean the outcome was fait accompli.

Reactions: Mandalorian

Ledge And Dairy

That's cool. We're also assuming that:

1) Coronato has the same upside (offensively he does, but he's got size concerns) and will reach that upside.
2) A 31 year old Martin Erat and a 29/30 year old Toffoli are the same player (Toffoli's probably better).
3) Erat with a cap hit of 4.5 mil (in a 70, 64, 69 mil cap era) and Toffoli with a 2.125 mil cap hit (in a 81.5 mil cap era) is comparable (it very clearly is not).
4) Toffoli will immediately fall of a cliff like Erat.

It was bad trade that ended up looking much worse for Washington. Doesn't mean the outcome was fait accompli.
So 1 example from 9 years ago that isn't even accurate at all is your example. Reality is Toffoli will probably get a trade return closer to Trocheck or Kadri value wise

Reactions: alasania94

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
A contender might pay through the nose for a low cost Toffoli.

Like Penguins looking for that one last run with Crosby, Malkin and Letang.
Cup wide open this year. Can see 6 to 8 teams cup caliber. Many teams be interested in good playoff performer like Toffoli. Bidding be high.

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
Would you retain 50%?

Calgary would be all over that. Would only be 50% for two more seasons after this one. Would easily offer up a 1st + a good prospect. Don’t know the needs.
I don’t think we can retain on Toffoli . We will need to retain on Price and Gallagher to trade them, so we’re not gonna lose a spot on Toffoli. His contract is good enough to not be retained

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
A goal scorer coming off hand surgery, in another month and you want absolute top dollar. Good luck with that. The Habs are better off holding onto him until next deadline, when retention may be an option. The extra years on the contract are almost detrimental to most contenders. The price becomes not only the cost to acquire but also who they have to give up, in order to fit him on the roster next year.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
yes and save retention spots for other troubling contracts . toffoli's contract is a good deal as it is .

Reactions: Habsrule

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
So 1 example from 9 years ago that isn't even accurate at all is your example. Reality is Toffoli will probably get a trade return closer to Trocheck or Kadri value wise

Without retention? Kadri trade was hockey trade, so that's pretty doubtful. Trochek? That trade was as bad as the Forsberg one. The Tatar trade is far more comparable.

With retention? You're not getting a player like Toffoli with 2.125 mil AAV for 3 playoff runs without paying through the nose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad