Value of: Tyler Toffoli

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
If you can find an example of a multi year deal with a large percentage of retention for a similar caliber player than by all means. Jeff Carter is like the next best example and he only got some conditional mid picks

No, I don't think I will. There are enough examples of what he'd cost full price. Pay more for retention or don't. But a cap dump in Carter at the time or Versteeg isn't comparable.

Ledge And Dairy

No, I don't think I will. There are enough examples of what he'd cost full price. Pay more for retention or don't. But a cap dump in Carter at the time or Versteeg isn't comparable.
How was Carter a cap dump? What a completely ignorant take.

I am fine paying a 1st + 2nd for Toffoli with no retention but he doesnt cost a top 50 prospect in the NHL to get retention, instead just add another decent prospect like Poirier, Kuznetsov, Francis, or Heinemen for example

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010

I am fine paying a 1st + 2nd for Toffoli with no retention but he doesnt cost a top 50 prospect in the NHL to get retention, instead just add another decent prospect like Poirier, Kuznetsov, Francis, or Heinemen for example

Trading a big money veteran that was underperforming wasn't a cap dump? News to me.

And I'm saying you're not going to get multiple years of retention on Toffoli for one of Poirier, Kuznetsov, Francis, or Heinemen. The cap space and retention slot is much more valuable to Montreal.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Tyler Toffoli trade value will be similar to when Kings traded him to Canucks. Toffoli in exchange for Tim Schaller, prospect Tyler Madden, a 2020 second-round pick plus a conditional 2022 fourth-round selection.
I think he has a little more value now considering he has a very good deal for the next 2 years. He's also proven he can adapt quickly to a new environment having done so in Montreal and Vancouver with significant success.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

Im not saying that Carter was a cap dump but i will say Carter was 36 when traded and Toffoli is 29
Ad in the contract difference Toffoli over a mil a season lower and because of thse reasons alone Toffoli should easily get more than what Carter got.

Ledge And Dairy

Trading a big money veteran that was underperforming wasn't a cap dump? News to me.

And I'm saying you're not going to get multiple years of retention on Toffoli for one of Poirier, Kuznetsov, Francis, or Heinemen. The cap space and retention slot is much more valuable to Montreal.
Carter was traded at 50% to a contender. Contenders dont trade for cap dumps.

Again i have no issue with zero retention on him. I do however think you are overvaluing the cost of retention on him

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Carter was traded at 50% to a contender. Contenders dont trade for cap dumps.

Again i have no issue with zero retention on him. I do however think you are overvaluing the cost of retention on him

Sure they do, when they're retained at 50%.

And I'm not.

-Montreal doesn't need to retain on Toffoli to get value.
-Montreal probably needs to retain to get value on other guys they'd trade.
-Each team has a limited number retention slots.

This isn't hard to figure out. Montreal can use their cap space and retention slots more effectively than retaining on Toffoli if all they're getting in return is a
Poirier, Kuznetsov, Francis, or Heinemen type of prospect. Its just not worth it.

Ledge And Dairy

Sure they do, when they're retained at 50%.

And I'm not.

-Montreal doesn't need to retain on Toffoli to get value.
-Montreal probably needs to retain to get value on other guys they'd trade.
-Each team has a limited number retention slots.

This isn't hard to figure out. Montreal can use their cap space and retention slots more effectively than retaining on Toffoli if all they're getting in return is a
Poirier, Kuznetsov, Francis, or Heinemen type of prospect. Its just not worth it.
You have a really weird definition of "cap dump"

Thats fine, I'm not arguing they should retain on him vs someone else. I am saying he wont get a top tier prospect like Coronato from anyone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad