Prospect Info: Tyler Kleven (D) at 44th Overall (Sens traded up)

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I did not know that. The player seemed to get up afterward and be ok.
Idk if that hit ended his career but he only played 73 games across the last three seasons of his career so he was pretty much finished anyway

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Idk if that hit ended his career but he only played 73 games across the last three seasons of his career so he was pretty much finished anyway
It did injure his knee but he came back after. Not sure if the lingering injury caused him to play to so little but he was on the tail end anyway, I think.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
ya he was nearly 35 when that happened, so he was near the end.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Is he ready for the show if Brannstrom is traded? I prefer Kubalik to be traded, but it is Pierre Dorion.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Where the heck has that been at the NHL level.

I hope he can get comfortable making those hits in the AHL so that next time he gets called up he'll be willing to throw the body around,

In the pre-season he hammered Lomberg

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Where the heck has that been at the NHL level.

I hope he can get comfortable making those hits in the AHL so that next time he gets called up he'll be willing to throw the body around,
We saw a little of that last yr when he got here from UND but as you know once you commit to a hit you are leaving your position & can get burned & then people are down on him for that if it results in a goal against. I assume they are asking him to play his position & not gamble as much & concentrate on playing the position the right way. I love a good hit as much as the next guy, but we have also seen players get burned for leaving their position.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
We saw a little of that last yr when he got here from UND but as you know once you commit to a hit you are leaving your position & can get burned & then people are down on him for that if it results in a goal against. I assume they are asking him to play his position & not gamble as much & concentrate on playing the position the right way. I love a good hit as much as the next guy, but we have also seen players get burned for leaving their position.
He also likely being tentative on that stuff of his own volition. Better to stay in position while he learns the NHL game before adding his physicality to the mix.

Sandy was somewhat similar with his offence, learning that first before starting to push the offence.

Hopefully as Kleven gets more comfortable with the systems and the speed that he’ll start being more physical.

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He also likely being tentative on that stuff of his own volition. Better to stay in position while he learns the NHL game before adding his physicality to the mix.

Sandy was somewhat similar with his offence, learning that first before starting to push the offence.

Hopefully as Kleven gets more comfortable with the systems and the speed that he’ll start being more physical.
Agree. He needs to gain experience at the pro level, and adjust his game to the higher speed of pro players and the pro game.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Dude needs to put on 20 pounds of muscle. He is a twig.
Agree, what a chump.

south-park-warcraft.gif

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
In the pre-season he hammered Lomberg

He did? I must have missed it. Lomberg is one solid short guy. I remember Brady having his hands full in a scrum with him despite giving up like ~ 6 inches and ~ 40 pounds.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

Isn't there a difference between going for big hits and just standing up guys when they skate into you?

I get not leaving your man alone infront of the net to go into the corner to lay a big hit.

I also get not stepping up to make a big hit while the guy is coming into the zone full speed when you can get walked.

But I feel like he was shying away from just sticking his forearm into people's chest when they came into his bubble.

Take that hit above for example. He's not putting himself out of position. He's literally just driving into the chest of an opponent who's trying to Deke through him.

I feel like he had more opportunities to make those hits in the preseason but didn't.

Hopefully it comes with time.

Reactions: aragorn and Bileur

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Isn't there a difference between going for big hits and just standing up guys when they skate into you?

I get not leaving your man alone infront of the net to go into the corner to lay a big hit.

I also get not stepping up to make a big hit while the guy is coming into the zone full speed when you can get walked.

But I feel like he was shying away from just sticking his forearm into people's chest when they came into his bubble.

Take that hit above for example. He's not putting himself out of position. He's literally just driving into the chest of an opponent who's trying to Deke through him.

I feel like he had more opportunities to make those hits in the preseason but didn't.

Hopefully it comes with time.
How many big hits are there in the run of an NHL game? Hits where the crowd reacts to a hit. I'd guess less than 5.

It's far more important to win in tight battles and then be able to quickly move the puck. I think Kleven has some work to do to mature his game to move the puck at an NHL level

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
How many big hits are there in the run of an NHL game? Hits where the crowd reacts to a hit. I'd guess less than 5.

It's far more important to win in tight battles and then be able to quickly move the puck. I think Kleven has some work to do to mature his game to move the puck at an NHL level

Sure, let's say 6-12 a game.

But that's my point. After playing a handful of games and there maybe being 25-50 big enough hits during those games, I don't remember one being from him, who is supposed to be a tough hard hitting defenseman. I just thought it was a bit strange. Don't get me wrong, I'll be patient.

I know times have changed, but I wonder if other defenseman who were expected to be big hard hitting defenseman went into preseason where they're trying to make the NHL and didn't try to throw their weight around. Guys like Hatcher or Pronger or Chara or even someone like Phaneuf. If hard hitting is part of your bread and butter, you would think they would try to get noticed with a big hit or two.

Or even just manhandling a forward in a scrum. Go look at arber xhekaj. He's not trying to make the Habs undrafted by being calm and quiet physically. He'll go look for the biggest guy on the other team and say hello.

I was expecting more of that from kleven. More of a mean, nasty guy, who at the very least will be playing really hard infront of his net like a Phaneuf or borowiecki.

Maybe it was my expectations that are off? Seeing all the big hits in college, I was under the impression that he was more of an Andy sutton than a Chris Phillips in terms of physicality.

I wasn't just expecting a big and strong d, but also a mean d who likes to throw his weight around.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Making a good hit that lays out a guy takes him out of the play, just standing up in front of them slows them down but they eventually get around you & back into the play or forecheck. There are less big hits but all it takes is one big one for players to keep their heads up & hopefully back off on plays or give up the puck rather than take the big hit. Also when making a big hit you have to be sure that you make it otherwise if you miss they end up with a 2 on 1 or 1 on none.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad