Prospect Info: Tyler Kleven (D) at 44th Overall (Sens traded up)

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Teams aren't going to be picking up Thomson unless they want him in the NHL, which I can't imagine any team would.

Every team has their own Thomson's, they will likely stick with what they have

Reactions: Icelevel and bert

Senovision

May 23, 2011
So the best on the team? Might want to re evaluate those expectations...

I hope he can be a top 4 guy that is hard to play against. Maybe like a Brayden McNabb or Nicholas Hague on Vegas.

He should start there barring injury no matter what. Feed him 25 + a game in all situations. Exciting prospect for sure. Couldn't believe his puck skills tbh. Expected the size and skating but he is a more polished player than I expected.
Ok thanks Bert. He just reminds me of Ryan Suter. I posted Ryan Suter "type" as in physical big bodied dman that can be steady.....I didn't say he will become Ryan Suter. You might want to read all the words before you make a quoted post.
Ryan Suter had 19 points in 39 games his last year of college hockey.
Tyler Kleven had 18 points in 35 games his last year of college.
Very similar stats in their last years of college. So time will tell how good Kleven becomes.
But I think he will be a good one in 3 or 4 years, once he gets more opportunity.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ok thanks Bert. He just reminds me of Ryan Suter. I posted Ryan Suter "type" as in physical big bodied dman that can be steady.....I didn't say he will become Ryan Suter. You might want to read all the words before you make a quoted post.
I don't think he'll ever have the puck movement element to his game that Suter did, from a stylistic perspective, not just wrt being as good. I also don't think his skating will ever be as agile as Suter was back when he was in Nashville, that's not a knock on his skating, because it's still a big plus.

There are some elements that I think are there, but overall suter isn't the comparable I think I'd use.

Senovision

May 23, 2011
I don't think he'll ever have the puck movement element to his game that Suter did, from a stylistic perspective, not just wrt being as good. I also don't think his skating will ever be as agile as Suter was back when he was in Nashville, that's not a knock on his skating, because it's still a big plus.

There are some elements that I think are there, but overall suter isn't the comparable I think I'd use.
Time will tell if we all had crystal balls we would all know exactly what players will grow into over time.
Their last year college stats are very close though.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Time will tell if we all had crystal balls we would all know exactly what players will grow into over time.
There last year college stats are very close though.
Ya, who knows, but Suter wasn't as big, and it's unusual for a guy who's 6'4 to be able to move around the way Suter did. Suter was also 2 years younger in his last year of college, I imagine had he stuck around two more seasons he'd have seen his production go way up.

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Ryan Suter had 19 points in 39 games his last year of college hockey.
Tyler Kleven had 18 points in 35 games his last year of college.
Very similar stats in their last years of college. So time will tell how good Kleven becomes.
But I think he will be a good one in 3 or 4 years, once he gets more opportunity.
Got it. I see him more as a beastly heavy top 4 with limited offense like a bigger hitting methot.

Reactions: Icelevel

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Got it. I see him more as a beastly heavy top 4 with limited offense like a bigger hitting methot.
Idk if he'll be a bigger hitter than Meth at the NHL level, those hip checks were monstrous...

Otherwise, both are big physical strong skating defensive Dman, Kleven has a fair bit better shot and a bit better puck skills imo, but still has to prove he can have a similar impact defensively.

Reactions: bert

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

I agree. That's his ballpark upside, but I'm hoping he might be meaner than Methot. I think he'll be a third pairing guy, personally, but his development has been great in the last year. So top 4 is definitely a possibility. The kid seems driven to improve.
better with the puck than Methot imo... I think Kleven has a better bomb than Methot as well. Same type of D Man. Maybe better

I agree with the shot. Big bombs from the point don't seem to be used much anymore but it's certainly nice to have. As for the puck skills I don't think they're noticeably better than Methot's; agree to disagree there.

The thing that made Methot such a good player (outside of his physical tools which are similar to Kleven) was his defensive smarts. He was always in position. He always took the right angles. He knew when he could make a hit and when to be more passive. He used his reach in really smart ways. I don't see that, yet, in limited viewings of Kleven. Not surprising in a guy with about 60 minutes of total pro hockey under his belt. If, with experience, he can develop those traits he'll be a very useful player.

Reactions: Cosmix and bert

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Adding him and JC adds an element from the point it feels we haven't had in ages.

2 legit bombs. I know Hamonic has a good one as well so pretty wild going from zero to 3 legit scoring threats from the point.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
I could see a team like Arizona, Chicago or Montreal grab Thomson in case he's a late bloomer. Cheap salary, and nothing to lose. If he doesn't improve, dump him after the season.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Kleven training with G is putting JBD and Branstrom on notice!

Not a knock on either guy but Kleven looks to be determined to make the team.
He’s better than all of them. Should be notice enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad