Player Discussion: Tyler Johnson

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
The Bruins fan sitting next to me was complaining about that and I commiserated with her as we've seen Point tossed out a huge amount too. :laugh:

Johnny was in classic playoff form last night! Was so very good to see!

Reactions: LonLon Lei

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
He showed up for a bit in round 1 then fell off a cliff. Pretty replaceable if you ask me.

Him and Killorn were our playoff guys, neither showed up this year. With our young talent starting to shine it might be time to consider trading Johnny.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
He showed up for a bit in round 1 then fell off a cliff. Pretty replaceable if you ask me.

Him and Killorn were our playoff guys, neither showed up this year. With our young talent starting to shine it might be time to consider trading Johnny.

I was actually going to ask about Johnson. Is he better on the wing or as a center? I think the Flames could use him in the top 6.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Better on the wing, his defensive game has crumbled like a wet firecracker over the years, but he's a good, versatile forward. I really like him but we need to make some adjustments, so I wouldn't mind seeing him being traded.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Calgary seems like a good partner if a deal happens. TJ's former coach, and Calgary has D to deal.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Any trade with Calgary and we most likely have to take back Stone or Brouwer for cap purposes so not a lot of cap gains. I prefer Stone as he has two years left so after next season we can let Girardi, Coburn and Stralman walk and have a veteran still left besides Hedman. They don't have high picks and their prospect pool isn't great. Rasmus Andersson is good and ready for an NHL role but is a RD so if they trade Stone he's the replacement. We could try to get Bennett and hope he finds his game but if he does that's another contract we have to worry about. They have a kid in Adam Fox who might be the best D in the NCAA who's an offensive RD, they might move him as he might want to stay on the East coast. Would be the type of defender we've been looking for awhile.

Brouwer (500k retained) + Fox + 2019 1st for Johnson + 2019 conditional 2nd (if we win the cup our 1st goes to NY so the 2nd can go to Calgary, if we don't the 2nd pushes back to 2020)? Problem becomes we have Callahan and Brouwer on RW making almost 10mil as bottom 6 guys signed for two years. We would need to work some magic to get both off the books after next season. Fox would be ready for a bottom pair role next year, we get a 1st round pick back and we open a forward spot for one of the Syracuse kids.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
TJ was one of our most dangerous forwards in the playoffs despite not living up to his performances of previous years. He generated more high danger shot attempts than anybody besides Point. I’m still not in favor of moving him unless we’re getting back a quality young 3D (or at least a 4D who looks to be on his way there.)

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Any trade with Calgary and we most likely have to take back Stone or Brouwer for cap purposes so not a lot of cap gains. I prefer Stone as he has two years left so after next season we can let Girardi, Coburn and Stralman walk and have a veteran still left besides Hedman. They don't have high picks and their prospect pool isn't great. Rasmus Andersson is good and ready for an NHL role but is a RD so if they trade Stone he's the replacement. We could try to get Bennett and hope he finds his game but if he does that's another contract we have to worry about. They have a kid in Adam Fox who might be the best D in the NCAA who's an offensive RD, they might move him as he might want to stay on the East coast. Would be the type of defender we've been looking for awhile.

Brouwer (500k retained) + Fox + 2019 1st for Johnson + 2019 conditional 2nd (if we win the cup our 1st goes to NY so the 2nd can go to Calgary, if we don't the 2nd pushes back to 2020)? Problem becomes we have Callahan and Brouwer on RW making almost 10mil as bottom 6 guys signed for two years. We would need to work some magic to get both off the books after next season. Fox would be ready for a bottom pair role next year, we get a 1st round pick back and we open a forward spot for one of the Syracuse kids.

We’re giving up the best player in the deal and getting back a cap dump and a guy who isn’t even signed and is a risk not to do so. That’s a flat-out horrible trade for us.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
We’re giving up the best player in the deal and getting back a cap dump and a guy who isn’t even signed and is a risk not to do so. That’s a flat-out horrible trade for us.

Johnson currently is the best player but he's not the same player he used to be. He's about to be 28 and signed for 6 more years. I think he's got 3 more years of being a top 6 guy then a bottom 6 one who'll be overpaid. Johnson is better as a center, I don't think he's been as good on the wing and he's not gonna be a top 6 C for us. Cirelli is a cheaper option for the 3C spot and we have wings who can replace Johnson. Brouwer can be a useful 3rd liner, he's just paid a bit too much but you can't dump salary these days without taking some back. Fox is worth the risk, he's what we thought DeAngelo could be but better. He also has 2 more years of eligibility left so if we can't sign him we can always flip his rights. We also get a 1st back. I don't see how we trade Johnson and get a better player back, we will have to be taken futures in almost any deal to shed cap.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Johnson currently is the best player but he's not the same player he used to be. He's about to be 28 and signed for 6 more years. I think he's got 3 more years of being a top 6 guy then a bottom 6 one who'll be overpaid. Johnson is better as a center, I don't think he's been as good on the wing and he's not gonna be a top 6 C for us. Cirelli is a cheaper option for the 3C spot and we have wings who can replace Johnson. Brouwer can be a useful 3rd liner, he's just paid a bit too much but you can't dump salary these days without taking some back. Fox is worth the risk, he's what we thought DeAngelo could be but better. He also has 2 more years of eligibility left so if we can't sign him we can always flip his rights. We also get a 1st back. I don't see how we trade Johnson and get a better player back, we will have to be taken futures in almost any deal to shed cap.

I think you make a good case for trading TJ, but not for the poor return you are expecting.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I think you make a good case for trading TJ, but not for the poor return you are expecting.
What would you trade Johnson for? I'm high on Fox, I see as a the really good RD prospect. He's better than DeAngelo in everything but heaviness of his shot. Him Foote and Cernak would be a great RD group who are young and have a strong mix of abilities. That's why I'm ok taking some other bad parts because of how good I think he is. We get a 1st next year which is always a good piece and Calgary can't take Johnson without shedding cap. Brouwer is an upgrade on Callahan but that's not saying much. Hopefully we can just flip him either right away or later, we could retain a little and still save cap space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad