Player Discussion: Tyler Johnson

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Hoping TJ, Killorn, and Paquette have all been saving up for this run. Cally, too. I'd be happy with just two guys from that list finding their Cup run gears again.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
TJ and Point are my 2 favorite Bolts. Most of you guys dumped on TJ forever. SIGH...............
To be fair, he hasn't really been tonight's version of TJ in forever. If it makes you feel any better, I immediately felt bad about dumping on him as soon as I saw him turn into the old TJ again.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Like I said: playoff beast. We need to keep this guy.

Guys, no way they can hit another gear in the playoffs. The way they are playing they’ll be gone in the first round. You can’t just turn it on and off...this is not a cup contender.

Wait a few days ...

I totally called Johnny hitting another gear in the playoffs. God I love being right all the time.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
To be fair, he hasn't really been tonight's version of TJ in forever. If it makes you feel any better, I immediately felt bad about dumping on him as soon as I saw him turn into the old TJ again.

You have to wonder if he sacrifices part of his game for the sake of longevity now. I don't think it's a coincidence that he always goes beastmode in the playoffs... until he inevitably gets injured in the later rounds.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
TJ turns into a different machine in the playoffs time and time again. I really think TJ and Kilhorn both are playoff performers. Palat had a great game too. All around I think if the Bolts can slow down HALL we win in 5.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
You have to wonder if he sacrifices part of his game for the sake of longevity now. I don't think it's a coincidence that he always goes beastmode in the playoffs... until he inevitably gets injured in the later rounds.
Maybe, which I suppose is understandable (even if it's frustrating to watch). At the same time, he had an interesting quote about missing the playoffs last year. He noted that it was the first time he'd ever missed the playoffs in any league, on any team. You can read any number of things into that quote, but it was an interesting window into the way he approaches the game, and views winning. Maybe he is a big-picture, ultimate prize kind of competitor who just finds his stride when he can actually see the carrot he's chasing. Who knows. At least for this year, I'm not going to over think it, and I'm just going to enjoy beastmode TJ (and Killorn, Palat).

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
There is something to the bit that TJ saves himself for the playoffs, because he morphs from a perimeter player into a guy who is going to get dirty. If it was just that though, he wouldn't catch so much heat. To me it is more of a focus thing. The vast majority of the time when I was yelling at TJ through my screen, he made a mental mistake. TJ completely focused and willing to sacrifice his body can carry this team on his back.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
There is something to the bit that TJ saves himself for the playoffs, because he morphs from a perimeter player into a guy who is going to get dirty. If it was just that though, he wouldn't catch so much heat. To me it is more of a focus thing. The vast majority of the time when I was yelling at TJ through my screen, he made a mental mistake. TJ completely focused and willing to sacrifice his body can carry this team on his back.
Lol. Watching him in the regular season the past two years, I always imagined him shrugging and reminding guys to have fun, that it was just a game, and not to be too hard on themselves or take things too seriously. Chuckling, and lightly chiding himself every time he made a mistake, like, "Oh, Tyler, Tyler, Tyler... you ol' bonehead!"

Not fair to him, by any stretch, but his head seemed elsewhere on many nights.

Edit: To clarify, I would generally imagine the above scenario in games where we were losing big to a bottomfeeder. And yes, I'm a crappy fan, I admit it. But I really do love these guys, deep down, at the end of the day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
He is a 50 point guy in regular season and is paid like a 50 point guy..but then if you take his playoff performance into play that's a good deal! Big fan of TyJo for sure!

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
I'm mad at TJ.

He turned the switches on for his line.
He turned the switches on for the defense and Vasy.
He turned the switches on for the 3rd and 4th line.

He forgot to turn on the Stamkos switch. Come'on man!:sarcasm:

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I'm mad at TJ.

He turned the switches on for his line.
He turned the switches on for the defense and Vasy.
He turned the switches on for the 3rd and 4th line.

He forgot to turn on the Stamkos switch. Come'on man!:sarcasm:

To be fair Stamkos has never shown that he has that switch. Or maybe his is just wired in reverse.

Reactions: DaBolts

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
To be fair Stamkos has never shown that he has that switch. Or maybe his is just wired in reverse.

Yeah it is weird. Even Kucherov seems to be his old self, making plays and producing. Stamkos on the other hand is just blending in. I mean I kind of expected it, just wish he would show up from time to time during the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad