Prospect Info: Tyler Biggs?

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Wow, please at least know what you are posting....Gardiner made the Leafs out of camp in his first season....so he never started out on the farm.

Then the whole discussion is about draft picks of ours.....but hey do not let facts get in the way of you posting things that are not correct!

Well, whatever. He was a new prospect of ours at the time. He also played 57 games for the MARLIES. And the point is the same....he panned out.

You mad or something?

:)

Gamble9

Apr 15, 2014
Bowmanville, Ontario
When Drafted he was a big strong winger who plays hard can fight well and skates very well for a big man. his main drawback was not being able to create offensively by himself and would need to ride shotgun on a skill line to produce offensively. When he was put on a line in the OHL with Jenner he played awesome and kept up to his pace. He was good on the boards drove the net, fought guys that Jenner didn't want to fight and was really sound defensively. this past year he was put on a line with guys that don't create and he didn't create. players like Lucic Brown Bickell don't create alone they need to have skill with Biggs might not make it but he needs to be put in a position to succeed as he was in Oshawa before we can gage his development

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
As for trading up to get Biggs........yes, I'd agree that it wasn't wise. But hindsight is always 20/20. And that was the guy they wanted so they took a risk. They also had the Percy pick so they likely felt they could afford to go a little riskier.[/QUOTE]

Percy is not a bust but a project as well. Not impressed with his game either. Not a great 1st round by the Leafs. Didn't Burke trade-up in the 2nd to get Ross too? That may have been the year before Biggs and Percy.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
As for trading up to get Biggs........yes, I'd agree that it wasn't wise. But hindsight is always 20/20. And that was the guy they wanted so they took a risk. They also had the Percy pick so they likely felt they could afford to go a little riskier.

Percy is not a bust but a project as well. Not impressed with his game either. Not a great 1st round by the Leafs. Didn't Burke trade-up in the 2nd to get Ross too? That may have been the year before Biggs and Percy.[/QUOTE]

What doesn't impress you about Stuarts game?

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Percy is not a bust but a project as well. Not impressed with his game either. Not a great 1st round by the Leafs. Didn't Burke trade-up in the 2nd to get Ross too? That may have been the year before Biggs and Percy.

What doesn't impress you about Stuarts game?[/QUOTE]

Too many poor decisions on intercepted passes and gets bodied off the puck regularly in his own zone especially around the net where his good skating can't separate him from the other player. He's a good skater and passer but not strong and not good around the net. Grannberg for instance, survives well around the net - can protect the puck and make the pass. Still time to grow of course but the Leafs have too many lighter weight d-men like this already.

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
When Drafted he was a big strong winger who plays hard can fight well and skates very well for a big man. his main drawback was not being able to create offensively by himself and would need to ride shotgun on a skill line to produce offensively. When he was put on a line in the OHL with Jenner he played awesome and kept up to his pace. He was good on the boards drove the net, fought guys that Jenner didn't want to fight and was really sound defensively. this past year he was put on a line with guys that don't create and he didn't create. players like Lucic Brown Bickell don't create alone they need to have skill with Biggs might not make it but he needs to be put in a position to succeed as he was in Oshawa before we can gage his development

This is part of the reason I’m an advocate of putting him on a line with Nylander in the AHL.

Biggs has a pretty solid shot. Just seems like he lacks confidence or something.

Brown – Nylander – Biggs or something like that.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Jack rabbits can't play with beached whales, half Clarksons problem is he is way to slow to keep up with the play. No more anchors with our good quick players pleeeease

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Jack rabbits can't play with beached whales, half Clarksons problem is he is way to slow to keep up with the play. No more anchors with our good quick players pleeeease

24 jack rabbits on one team, who is going to stand in front of the net or get them the puck?

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
24 jack rabbits on one team, who is going to stand in front of the net or get them the puck?

Totally agree with this post - need speed but also need tenacity and strength. Colton Orr played this way 2 years ago in both ends of the rink. Need toughness!

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
How Important is Toughness?

It's not a question of whether a team needs toughness. Every team does, though it helps if the tough players can also produce in other ways. It isn't even a question about whether trading two top forty picks to get Biggs was a mistake. It sure looks as if it was, but that is hindsight and nothing can be done about it now. (One of the pro Biggs posters mentions his play with Jenner. I would rather have had Jenner, but, once again, that is water under the bridge.) You evaluate the player not on the circumstances of his acquisition but on the basis of his performance and his development.

The real question is whether he is on track to become a useful NHL player in the relatively near future. After all is about to begin the fourth year of that five year window some posters mention. I believe the answer is a definite maybe. He isn't a bust yet because he still shows the gifts that made him a first rounder in his draft year, size, skating and sandpaper and from time to time I have seen him flash moments of skill also. It's not wild optimism to think he might become a useful third or fourth line winger. But he certainly hasn't been very productive and there is no evidence whatever that he should be put on a top line. He hasn't earned it.

I admit I didn't see him as much this year as I would have liked. When I took the time to watch a Marlies game, he seemed often to be a healthy scratch. Which does say something.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
It's not a question of whether a team needs toughness. Every team does, though it helps if the tough players can also produce in other ways. It isn't even a question about whether trading two top forty picks to get Biggs was a mistake. It sure looks as if it was, but that is hindsight and nothing can be done about it now. (One of the pro Biggs posters mentions his play with Jenner. I would rather have had Jenner, but, once again, that is water under the bridge.) You evaluate the player not on the circumstances of his acquisition but on the basis of his performance and his development.

The real question is whether he is on track to become a useful NHL player in the relatively near future. After all is about to begin the fourth year of that five year window some posters mention. I believe the answer is a definite maybe. He isn't a bust yet because he still shows the gifts that made him a first rounder in his draft year, size, skating and sandpaper and from time to time I have seen him flash moments of skill also. It's not wild optimism to think he might become a useful third or fourth line winger. But he certainly hasn't been very productive and there is no evidence whatever that he should be put on a top line. He hasn't earned it.

I admit I didn't see him as much this year as I would have liked. When I took the time to watch a Marlies game, he seemed often to be a healthy scratch. Which does say something.

Very well stated. None of this matters - we have The BrollDozer!!!

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
This hurts my brain...

You realize this roster:

P. Kane - P. Kane - P. Kane

Karlsson - Karlsson
Karlsson - Karlsson
Karlsson - Karlsson

Goalie

Would beat any current NHL team, including the Cup-winning LA Kings, right?
Please tell me you understand that.

They would be well over the cap.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
this hurts my brain...

You realize this roster:

p. Kane - p. Kane - p. Kane

karlsson - karlsson
karlsson - karlsson
karlsson - karlsson

goalie

would beat any current nhl team, including the cup-winning la kings, right?
Please tell me you understand that.

realism.

:)

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Kane - Kane - Kane might be a decent line if Evander Kane keeps developing, but it would probably be held back by having to find a third Kane. What's Boyd Kane up to these days?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad