Player Discussion Tyler Benson - becoming what the Oilers need

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
His physical play is not something he started this year. Even as a junior he had a real gritty side to his game. He even had a handful of pretty good tilts in Vancouver. That gritty part of his game continued in the AHL. Here are comments from Woodcroft in May of 2019:

Why AHL coaches, teammates have no doubt Tyler Benson will be NHLer - Sportsnet.ca

The guy has had lots of opportunities to give up on himself. He fought through a lot of obstacles.

Thanks. I was wishing for such feedback. As people know I haven't followed Bensons career, and don't watch the AHL at all. So I wondering if he had any of this in his prior play. Good to hear.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
This is fine, and I tend to agree with this argument.

But in the case of a player that is 190lbs, average size, that has never been known to be physical, is this really a valid ongoing play for Benson. Does he have the strength, fight, to back up what he's starting on the ice which he inevitably will have to ahve when people start running him after a high stick? Right now we're just seeing the initial bit of Benson playing aggressive. I haven't seen this demonstrated from him here before. Will he be able to stand up to the inevitable push back? You only know anything about a players ongoing commitment to something if said player still does stuff like this after they've been punched in the face and had their head taken off. Over 50yrs of watching hockey, I've seen a lot of players try to walk tall and swing a stick. The vast majority don't necessarily continue.

So that whether Benson has "learned this" while he's playing 5mins a night is anybodies guess. The one thing going for him though is that he's the replaceable player on the ice any game so no opposing head coach is going to be too pleased with anybody dancing with him or squaring off because that might be taking somebody usefull out of the lineup.

A Benson with zero boxcars is a Belanger with no experience. That still manages to be -2 and have goals against despite having played 40mins all season.

More time required to see if Benson is actually adopting a role and niche. I would say his minutes alotted and games played isn't really backing that. Just that Benson is desperate to do something. At least he's that.

Good point. I agree, don’t know if this is his natural game which means he may never hit peak pest.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
To those questioning if he can be a pest due to his size and being able to "back it up", is that really important for a pest? I personally don't care if he never wins a fight. Fights aren't what decides games. What can however, is annoying better players on the other team to the point where their focus is on getting even rather than scoring or defending. Brad Marchand is a little guy, Matt Cooke is shorter (but heavier), Burrows and Barnaby were about the same size. If Benson can carve a career like any of those guys on this team, thats great for a 2nd round pick.

I don't wanna say he will be close to any of those guys, but size/fighting ability isn't what would be holding him back from being one of those types. Let Kassian or some other 4th line goon take the fights for him.

Reactions: Oilhawks and TB12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad