Player Discussion Tyler Benson - becoming what the Oilers need

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I loved that cross-check and he can do that forever to guys like pionk penalty or not

All day long, Benson broke those cry babies. Broke Pionk’s ribs and amputated Demelo’s leg in a matter of two 30 second shifts.

We bullied and physically beat up the Jets and Benson played a role in that.

Even Tippett had a wry smile talking about those penalties and being a bit too aggressive but you could tell he liked it at the same time. Obviously didn’ bother him too much as he kept Benson in the game for the next one.

He may be only getting 5-7 minutes a night but he’s making an impact out there. I like guys who are competitive on my team and Benson certainly is competitive. I’ve said before the number trait I find in successful people are people who are extremely competitive and hate losing more than they like winning.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
IIRC he was doing plays like that during part of the 5 minute shift where we absolutely goombastomped Chicago into oblivion, too bad no goals though.
Even Jesse didn't clue into those types of plays until he came back from overseas. It's super effective to go back against the grain when you're playing with high skilled linemates like Connor and Leon. RNH has been great at that kinda stuff for years.

Reactions: ujju2

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
He had to change his game or not play in the league. I'd like to see him get a goal or set up a 4th line goal, get the confidence going. Derek Ryan might not be seeing much ice time as Sceviour has been more effective at C the past 2 games and can also play the PK. When Shore gets back I can see Shore taking a spot on the 4th line.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
great, the bottom 6ers has come to find their places, and their thing.

Now, to the bench with Turris and Perlini. Stay away, please.

Benson Sceviour Shore it is a the 4th

Last edited:

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Benson is steadily building his credibility with the team. His hustle and grit - combined with smarts and anticipation - allows him to get the most of 5 minutes per game. And his team mates are noticing it (and the coach).
He's becoming that guy that will be able to play up in the lineup especially when the games get bigger. And the space to play in gets smaller.
Good on him!

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
His game has definitely progressed this year. I think some points will come eventually, but he's providing nice gritty minutes on the 4th line. Glad we didn't waive him as I'm interested to see if he can continue to be an effective bottom 6er. His skating really hasn't been an issue in recent games with him changing his play style into more of a pest and grinder.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Will be interesting to see how he does on the road vs Dallas and Vegas. Those are big heavy teams who will have the last change.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Ive watched Benson for a while and its been evident for a couple of years or more than he doesn't have a NHL shot and will never be a straight up speedster. Its good for the team he is adapting his game to the cycle/grind with a bit of skill as is needed here.
However while it may be good teamwise its probably not that great Bensonwise. I would really like to have seen him get his shot next to an appropriate center and a clutch RW. He will likely never get that here.
Chicago has a situation Benson might flourish in without the adaptation. Carpenter for Benson and a pick.

Not going to happen, hope Benny works hard and one day becomes a third line winger for us.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Ive watched Benson for a while and its been evident for a couple of years or more than he doesn't have a NHL shot and will never be a straight up speedster. Its good for the team he is adapting his game to the cycle/grind with a bit of skill as is needed here.
However while it may be good teamwise its probably not that great Bensonwise. I would really like to have seen him get his shot next to an appropriate center and a clutch RW. He will likely never get that here.
Chicago has a situation Benson might flourish in without the adaptation. Carpenter for Benson and a pick.

Not going to happen, hope Benny works hard and one day becomes a third line winger for us.

He is too slow/small and has too poor a shot to be a good bottom 6er.

He was a top 6 or bust prospect. Slow play making wingers just really are never in demand. Between his injuries and that fact he was a poor selection and a long shot at best.

However. I agree. It would have preferred if he a solid oppurtunity in the top 6 by now. He is just waaaaaaaaaaaaay too far down the depth chart to ever earn it here.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
He is too slow/small and has too poor a shot to be a good bottom 6er.

He was a top 6 or bust prospect. Slow play making wingers just really are never in demand. Between his injuries and that fact he was a poor selection and a long shot at best.

However. I agree. It would have preferred if he a solid oppurtunity in the top 6 by now. He is just waaaaaaaaaaaaay too far down the depth chart to ever earn it here.
I disagree that it's so set. A depth chart is fluid. If Benson stays on the team in any role, he will play with top six players for the odd shift. If he keeps doing good things, any top six talent he has will come to the surface and he'll get a serious look

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I disagree that it's so set. A depth chart is fluid. If Benson stays on the team in any role, he will play with top six players for the odd shift. If he keeps doing good things, any top six talent he has will come to the surface and he'll get a serious look

Posts injury Benson can't be said in the same breath as:

McDavid Draisaitl Yamamoto Puljujarvi RNH Hyman Kassian Foegele Holloway Borg...

All of these players are significantly better scorers and skaters. It's just hard to imagine picking Benson in a top 6 role over the above for the foreseeable future.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Posts injury Benson can't be said in the same breath as:

McDavid Draisaitl Yamamoto Puljujarvi RNH Hyman Kassian Foegele Holloway Borg...

All of these players are significantly better scorers and skaters. It's just hard to imagine picking Benson in a top 6 role over the above for the foreseeable future.
Cap concerns can mean we lose players. Injuries and slumps happen.

But for now he can stay in the bottom six and contribute there. Let him sink or swim. Either could happen, but if the bottom six isnt great with the veterans it has, the best thing to do is go with a youth movement and give guys like Benson a ton of leash. Come playoffs this can tighten up

Reactions: Aerchon

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Even when he wasn't playing that well earlier on in the season I still noticed his fire. You either have it or you don't and this kid has the competitive mentality and willingness to stick in this league (even if it's just in a bottom 6 role). Good to see that he has found a role and is doing what he can to succeed in that role.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Cap concerns can mean we lose players. Injuries and slumps happen.

But for now he can stay in the bottom six and contribute there. Let him sink or swim. Either could happen, but if the bottom six isnt great with the veterans it has, the best thing to do is go with a youth movement and give guys like Benson a ton of leash. Come playoffs this can tighten up

I'm a bit worried because he has not done very well in a bottom 6 role. He has been given more opportunities than he deserves imo and as mentioned does not have the skill set.

Had a decent game last night so hopefully he can build on that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad