Player Discussion Ty Rattie

Esko

Sep 23, 2015
Mods- did not see this thread posted but if I am mistaken feel free to delete or move

Ty Rattie is a UFA this upcoming season- after a fairly successful 14 game stretch as the RW on the McDavid-RNH line (5 goals, 4 assists) I am now thinking Rattie potentially could be a very valuable and cost-effective player for the Oilers on a team that needs some players to outproduce their contracts. Former 2nd round draft pick, was quite the scorer in his junior days and maybe found some chemistry finally this season with RNH and McDavid. In my opinion Rattie was perhaps the 2nd best fit on McDavid's right wing spot (behind Draisaitl) and if we save some money on McDavid's wing I think we could potentially address finding a skilled winger to help boost Draisaitl's production and the overall effectiveness of line 2.

A couple questions I have for the fanbase:

-What did you think of Rattie down the stretch?
-How would you feel if Rattie was the RW on McDavid's line to start next season?
-Give me your reasonable contract that you could see Rattie signing for next season?

Most of this discussion hinges on the idea that McDavid anchors line 1 with RNH, and Draisaitl anchors line 2. I think at the very least you sign Rattie to a 1 to 2 year deal for competition for Yamamoto and Puljujärvi so that we aren't forcing those players into roles that perhaps they aren't ready for yet.

Discuss.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I’d sign him. Good skater, hustles hard on the forecheck, and plays the type of game that matches McDavids style well.

Plus we’d keep him on the cheap.

I do believe there was a player discussion thread about him already somewhere.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Personally I wouldn't bring him back, because there are other options and he played ok with Nuge and McDavid, but the team clearly expected him to compete for a spot well before he did.

Reactions: lakai17

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Mods- did not see this thread posted but if I am mistaken feel free to delete or move

Ty Rattie is a UFA this upcoming season- after a fairly successful 14 game stretch as the RW on the McDavid-RNH line (5 goals, 4 assists) I am now thinking Rattie potentially could be a very valuable and cost-effective player for the Oilers on a team that needs some players to outproduce their contracts. Former 2nd round draft pick, was quite the scorer in his junior days and maybe found some chemistry finally this season with RNH and McDavid. In my opinion Rattie was perhaps the 2nd best fit on McDavid's right wing spot (behind Draisaitl) and if we save some money on McDavid's wing I think we could potentially address finding a skilled winger to help boost Draisaitl's production and the overall effectiveness of line 2.

A couple questions I have for the fanbase:

-What did you think of Rattie down the stretch?
-How would you feel if Rattie was the RW on McDavid's line to start next season?
-Give me your reasonable contract that you could see Rattie signing for next season?

Most of this discussion hinges on the idea that McDavid anchors line 1 with RNH, and Draisaitl anchors line 2. I think at the very least you sign Rattie to a 1 to 2 year deal for competition for Yamamoto and Puljujärvi so that we aren't forcing those players into roles that perhaps they aren't ready for yet.

Discuss.

1. He was good down the stretch. I watched him in preseason though and the guy was a complete ghost. They put him on McDavid's line and all of a sudden he looked like a player. Noticeably faster and worked a lot harder.
2. I think he could be on the RW on McDavids line next year. I dont know if I would pencil him in there though. The teams going to need some cheap options though considering where they are with the cap.
3. I would sign him to a 1-2 year. 800-1mil per year contract. He's 26? Hasnt shown a whole lot. I think he would be lucky to even get a contract.

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
He looked alright, given what we've gone through on that wing throughout the year. I'd sign him, along the lines of what FlameChamp said, but he sure wouldn't be guaranteed a spot on the team or on McD's RW. He knows how to go to the net and how to position himself, but his toolbox is a bit slim after that.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Sign him. He's already shown he can produce with McDavid on the top line. This is where the Oilers make a good move by gambling just a bit with his contract here. Sign him for for like 950K for 3 years and watch him be one of the best value contract in the league. If he doesn't work out on McDavids line moving forward, 950K for a 3rd-4th liner is fine.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Ty Rattie back here next year in anything but a 4th line role is just embarrassing.

Look at the jets. They score 4 lines deep. Poor Mcdavid has to carry a guy like Rattie on his back.

Reactions: DarthProbert

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Ty Rattie back here next year in anything but a 4th line role is just embarrassing.

Look at the jets. They score 4 lines deep. Poor Mcdavid has to carry a guy like Rattie on his back.
Thats what McDavid signed up for when he made that 12.5M deal with Chiarelli.

I dont want Rattie back to play 4th line.. He is either going to be a top 6 player or will be waived.

McDavid will have to just carry one of Yama\Rattie or Puljujarvi on his right wing.

Reactions: Night Witch

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
McDavid's line is not the one I worry about. It's the other three lines, particularly Leon's line.

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
Rattie played as a player with something to prove last year. We sorely lack that kind of attitude

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I believe there's better competition out there when it comes to wing.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Personally I wouldn't bring him back, because there are other options and he played ok with Nuge and McDavid, but the team clearly expected him to compete for a spot well before he did.

I don’t think that’s the case. In the interview with Rattie and Chia I listed to last night on my podcast it was stated he was signed to go to Bakersfield and clean up his defensive game. When he did they called him up. Maybe it took longer than expected but no reason to not sign him to a no risk deal (below the level where a buried contract counts v the cap).

And despite being “late to the party” so to speak, he performed well, has the speed and smarts necessary to play with 97 and will be had very very inexpensively on a short 1 or 2 year deal.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

I don’t think that’s a fair comparison. Jets don’t have a 12.5 M 1C and a 8.5 M 2C.

Look more at Pittsburgh. They have filled in the gaps on the wings with Crosby and Malkin with inexpensive talent allowing Kessel to play 3rd line spreading their scoring out.

I think that is what the Oilers have to accomplish.

BTW Jets will be in Cap hell soon enough and begin to face similar problems as us.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Maybe it took longer than expected
See and I took that to mean they were generally disappointed with that fact, that he should have made that transition earlier. Could just be me. I'm not trying to knock him, if he can perform on the cheap great, but I just think there might be other directions to go.

Skar

Jul 2, 2016
I don’t think that’s a fair comparison. Jets don’t have a 12.5 M 1C and a 8.5 M 2C.

Look more at Pittsburgh. They have filled in the gaps on the wings with Crosby and Malkin with inexpensive talent allowing Kessel to play 3rd line spreading their scoring out.

I think that is what the Oilers have to accomplish.

BTW Jets will be in Cap hell soon enough and begin to face similar problems as us.

The thing is, the Jets are actually good at drafting and developing NHL talent. Unlike us, they'll be able to fill their depth positions internally with quality ELC players. We don't have shit.

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
There has only been 2-3 players that have looked as good or better with McDavid then Rattie. Rnh, Leon and maroon, you absolutely sign Rattie to a 1-2 year deal at 900k. He had good speed and shoots the puck, which is something most of our players don’t do when playing with McDavid. He also showed that he will go to the front of the net and cause havoc, not signing Rattie after what he showed would be a total Oiler thing to do though.

Dohilers

Dec 18, 2011
BC
I'd sign him to a 1 or 2-year deal, for $1m or less. If the team can land a better option this summer, do that instead. At worst he's a good scoring option in Bakersfield.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The thing is, the Jets are actually good at drafting and developing NHL talent. Unlike us, they'll be able to fill their depth positions internally with quality ELC players. We don't have ****.

Yes and we have to be able to do the same thing no question. Same goes for every team in the league now more or less. As for not having shit, we have a few prospects in the pipeline so I disagree we dont have shit.

Skar

Jul 2, 2016
Yes and we have to be able to do the same thing no question. Same goes for every team in the league now more or less. As for not having ****, we have a few prospects in the pipeline so I disagree we dont have ****.
Hey, looking back at my previous post I kind of come off as a douche. Sorry about that, I'm just pretty heated after the press conference.

Yeah, we do need to do the same thing. I just don't have faith in this organization to pull it off after watching highly touted prospect after prospect turn to nothing. We do have some good players like Yamamoto and maybe Benson to look forward to. Hopefully they can be important players for us.

Reactions: Night Witch

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
See and I took that to mean they were generally disappointed with that fact, that he should have made that transition earlier. Could just be me. I'm not trying to knock him, if he can perform on the cheap great, but I just think there might be other directions to go.

For sure.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Hey, looking back at my previous post I kind of come off as a *****e. Sorry about that, I'm just pretty heated after the press conference.

Yeah, we do need to do the same thing. I just don't have faith in this organization to pull it off after watching highly touted prospect after prospect turn to nothing. We do have some good players like Yamamoto and maybe Benson to look forward to. Hopefully they can be important players for us.

Not to worry, I dont blame you and we've all done it. Strange how a hockey team gets us so excited hey!?
As for prospects, it is the only way we will survive with our large cap hits, and I get why fans here have lost faith in Chiarelli. I just haven't hit that point yet. If we miss the playoffs next year then I expect a pretty large house cleaning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad