Rumor: Two no attendance outdoor games in Tahoe this season, no Sharks

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Yes you can.

In every other league, when teams are good, they get national tv games. When they suck, they don't with very limited exceptions. The Warriors never got on national TV until they started winning in 2015 and now are a mainstay. A few 15-20 win seasons and they'll be off natl tv. That's how you grow tv audiences. You always show the good teams, even if they are the Arizona Coyotes or San Jose Sharks. You don't just stick to the Northeast base. You don't have Buffalo in Jan 1 Winter Classic and the Kings have two Cups and haven't sniffed one. (and no the Consolation Classic does NOT count)

In the NHL, if the Coyotes win 5 Cups in a row, they still won't sniff a January 1 Winter Classic.

Hell the Sharks haven't been close to being considered to be in one, despite it starting in 08 and the Sharks having the following seeds for 08,09,10,11: 2,1,1,2. And no Pacific team has ever been in one, even as the road team.

In reg season, the Sharks have NEVER been on a single NBC national game of the week. Only twice were they on NBC regional coverage, once in 07 vs Kings and once in 12 vs Detroit. The only time the Sharks have been on NBC coast to coast is in the playoffs, and even then, usually only conference finals or SCF.

Legendary pbp guy Doc Emrick in all his NBC years only called Sharks 2016 SCF games and the SJ all star game. Otherwise he never called a Sharks game. Are you freaking kidding me?

So in a special season when the Sharks can't even play games in San Jose and there are two outdoor games in their television territory, I'm not buying that now, all of a sudden, it's a meritocracy for who gets nationally televised/special games. Not buying it AT ALL.

Can't wait for someone else to get the NHL TV contract. I know it may not be better with an alternative, but I know for certain it's not going to ever change as long as NBC is involved.
I remember Doc calling a Sharks game against the Kings where Ekman scored. Still remember his call. Not sure if that was nbc or abc, though.

Nbc did flex out a 49ers game a few weeks ago, and they hardly ever flex football games.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I get being upset I guess, but this is all about money. High profile large market teams mean they can charge more for advertising. In a year where the owners are basically paying so we can watch hockey I can live with it. They want all sharks games played at midnight in some local mall rink? Fine. Whatever it takes so I can watch some NHL hockey with the players I give a shit about. This just isn't the hill worth dying on IMO.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I get being upset I guess, but this is all about money. High profile large market teams mean they can charge more for advertising. In a year where the owners are basically paying so we can watch hockey I can live with it. They want all sharks games played at midnight in some local mall rink? Fine. Whatever it takes so I can watch some NHL hockey with the players I give a shit about. This just isn't the hill worth dying on IMO.
It just doesn't feel right that the league is making money basically in our 'backyard'. There are plenty of beautiful neutral places they could have picked from.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Protecting your market is exactly the hill to die on

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Protecting your market is exactly the hill to die on
Great... Tahoe isn't the Sharks market. It's further away than Seattle is from Portland. Ducks and Kings are closer to each other than that. Half the teams on the east coast are closer to each other than SJ to Tahoe. I don't know why they chose Tahoe. Could be that they were planning for an outdoor game there with the Sharks before the pandemic hit and they had already negotiated using the facility and now they can't get out of the contract. Who knows. Makes perfect sense to not include a potentially shitty sharks team that doesn't draw national ratings on its best day. If they were allowing fans I would be right next to you with a pitch fork in one hand and a Bettman voodoo doll in the other. But without fans, it just doesn't matter. Whatever they need to do keep the lights on in the NHL I'm fine with.

Last edited:

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Without fans it should be somewhere else, though I'd be ok if it was vegas vs someone. Bringing in some random ass east coast teams isn't ok with me

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Without fans it should be somewhere else, though I'd be ok if it was vegas vs someone. Bringing in some random ass east coast teams isn't ok with me

No with fans it should be some where else, without fans it could be downtown san jose and it would not make a difference.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
What's hard to understand? Tahoe isn't in their market. It's over 200 miles away. If the NHL wanted to put an expansion team up there they wouldn't owe the Sharks any compensation. Read the whole post above that you partially quoted. It's self explanatory.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
NHL_TV_Markets.jpg

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Did most folks miss that the game is being held in Nevada?
Apparently because the Raiders moved to Nevada the whole area belongs to the Bay Area now... :sarcasm: That's why Sharks Knights is a rivalry... the Knights are viewed as squatters.

Last edited:

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Apparently because the Raiders moved to Nevada the whole area belongs to the Bay Area now... That's why Sharks Knights is a rivalry... the Knights are viewed as squatters.

It's 2021 for gosh sakes, the term is "unresidenced campers".

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
That maps appears to be pre-VGK expansion.

It appears most here are okay with the Vegas-Colorado game. It's just the weird Philly-Boston game with no ties to the region at all. If that game was somewhere on the east coast, it'd probably feel less like a kick-in-the-balls. I personally don't care one way or the other, but I see their complaints as valid.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
It appears most here are okay with the Vegas-Colorado game. It's just the weird Philly-Boston game with no ties to the region at all. If that game was somewhere on the east coast, it'd probably feel less like a kick-in-the-balls. I personally don't care one way or the other, but I see their complaints as valid.

And those people still fail to realize we are in the middle of a pandemic where not every city/state is available for that kind of event.

And also one city hosting multiple games also saves the nhl money that they do not have at this point.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
And those people still fail to realize we are in the middle of a pandemic where not every city/state is available for that kind of event.

And also one city hosting multiple games also saves the nhl money that they do not have at this point.

The second point is valid one. Considering how much more conservative the eastern and central coasts are, I find that first point hard to believe though.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011

I agree with you on the out of region and not caring parts, just felt the need to point out the misplaced righteous indignation about the game being held in "Sharks Territory" (aka Nevada).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad