Rumor: Two no attendance outdoor games in Tahoe this season, no Sharks

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
To me, it's pretty obvious what is going on here. With no attendance, the NHL and ESPECIALLY NBC are only concerned about ratings, and we all know NBC believes the Sharks are ratings death. So I'm pretty sure it was NBC who chose the teams. I bet Bettman had to even fight to get Vegas involved.

And I understand there is another article from the Merc with the Sharks spokesperson saying they weren't involved in discussions due to uncertainty in their schedule, but that's a pretty weak excuse. Not being able to play in Santa Clara actually would have made it EASIER to put one of their home games (or road games at Vegas) in Tahoe.

Philly at Boston in Tahoe. Only in the NHL. smh

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
If the sharks weren’t trash last year, I bet they’d get one and that would’ve been amazing to go to.

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
If the sharks weren’t trash last year, I bet they’d get one and that would’ve been amazing to go to.

That's such an easy thing to say, but when the Jan 1 Winter Classic debuted in 2008, the Sharks were an elite team. Fast forward to this decade and we still don't have a true Pacific division team having yet played in a Jan 1 Winter Classic (let alone the Sharks), even as the road team. Once these Tahoe games became no fan attendance games (they probably always were given the location), NBC made sure to put a Northeast matchup in there over a Sharks game. The Sharks could be the defending Cup champs and they wouldn't have sniffed this no attendance outdoor game.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
To me, it's pretty obvious what is going on here. With no attendance, the NHL and ESPECIALLY NBC are only concerned about ratings, and we all know NBC believes the Sharks are ratings death. So I'm pretty sure it was NBC who chose the teams. I bet Bettman had to even fight to get Vegas involved.

And I understand there is another article from the Merc with the Sharks spokesperson saying they weren't involved in discussions due to uncertainty in their schedule, but that's a pretty weak excuse. Not being able to play in Santa Clara actually would have made it EASIER to put one of their home games (or road games at Vegas) in Tahoe.

Philly at Boston in Tahoe. Only in the NHL. smh
So pick another f***ing state, this is horseshit , I actually wonder if the sharks could block this. Who's territory is this tv wise?

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
So pick another f***ing state, this is horseshit , I actually wonder if the sharks could block this. Who's territory is this tv wise?
This is horseshit by the NHL.

Let’s play 4 teams in Sharks territory all who are not the Sharks
It is absolutely f***ing ridiculous, and offensive. Plus from a monetary standpoint, it makes no sense to ship in 4 teams, 2 from extremely far to play an outdoor game in Tahoe. They could easily play an outdoor game near Boston and Philadelphia, and near Vegas and Colorado. It's illogical and stupid, but that's the NHL.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Im literally born and raised in South Lake and I cant physically be there to watch and its not even the Sharks playing haha issssaaa joke.

Reactions: Sandisfan

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I get why the Sharks aren’t in the game. We’re projected to be a bad team, that doesn’t have a large fan base.

But man is it annoying. The idea for this game is really cool and maybe in the future we can get one.
No f*** that.

There is an entire country of locations to choose from. Doing it in our backyard is a petty insult to the sharks.

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I get why the Sharks aren’t in the game. We’re projected to be a bad team, that doesn’t have a large fan base.

But man is it annoying. The idea for this game is really cool and maybe in the future we can get one.

Hard disagree. Imagine if the Leafs sucked but outdoor games were being played in Hamilton, Ontario with no Leafs involved. The city of Toronto would have a meltdown. It is downright insulting and disgusting that the Sharks are not playing in one of these games, and having Philly and Boston do so is a slap in the face.

nabbyfan

Oct 4, 2007
Santa Clarita, CA
No f*** that.

There is an entire country of locations to choose from. Doing it in our backyard is a petty insult to the sharks.

Like I said, I get it why Sharks fans are mad, and I’m annoyed too.

All I’m saying is Reno/Tahoe is just far enough away that I get why we aren’t in the game when we’re projected to be a bad team without a huge national following. It’s not like it’s in Santa Cruz, it’s a 4 hour plus drive from SJ-Reno.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Like I said, I get it why Sharks fans are mad, and I’m annoyed too.

All I’m saying is Reno/Tahoe is just far enough away that I get why we aren’t in the game when we’re projected to be a bad team without a huge national following. It’s not like it’s in Santa Cruz, it’s a 4 hour plus drive from SJ-Reno.
Just far enough away? People make that drive regularly.

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I wish the Sharks were in it but I can’t blame NBC for caring about ratings.

Yes you can.

In every other league, when teams are good, they get national tv games. When they suck, they don't with very limited exceptions. The Warriors never got on national TV until they started winning in 2015 and now are a mainstay. A few 15-20 win seasons and they'll be off natl tv. That's how you grow tv audiences. You always show the good teams, even if they are the Arizona Coyotes or San Jose Sharks. You don't just stick to the Northeast base. You don't have Buffalo in Jan 1 Winter Classic and the Kings have two Cups and haven't sniffed one. (and no the Consolation Classic does NOT count)

In the NHL, if the Coyotes win 5 Cups in a row, they still won't sniff a January 1 Winter Classic.

Hell the Sharks haven't been close to being considered to be in one, despite it starting in 08 and the Sharks having the following seeds for 08,09,10,11: 2,1,1,2. And no Pacific team has ever been in one, even as the road team.

In reg season, the Sharks have NEVER been on a single NBC national game of the week. Only twice were they on NBC regional coverage, once in 07 vs Kings and once in 12 vs Detroit. The only time the Sharks have been on NBC coast to coast is in the playoffs, and even then, usually only conference finals or SCF.

Legendary pbp guy Doc Emrick in all his NBC years only called Sharks 2016 SCF games and the SJ all star game. Otherwise he never called a Sharks game. Are you freaking kidding me?

So in a special season when the Sharks can't even play games in San Jose and there are two outdoor games in their television territory, I'm not buying that now, all of a sudden, it's a meritocracy for who gets nationally televised/special games. Not buying it AT ALL.

Can't wait for someone else to get the NHL TV contract. I know it may not be better with an alternative, but I know for certain it's not going to ever change as long as NBC is involved.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2