GDT: 'Twa Senators at Berta Flames - 9PM - TSN5/RDS - Losing Streak Flames Out in Must Win Edition

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
He's been absolute trash, no confidence whatsoever. When he's in a prime position to shoot he doesn't even bother because he knows his shot has been completely ineffective this season, Hopefully he snaps out of it, but it's just coming off as incredible immature (which is understandable being 21)

The odd thing is that in pre-season when he came in he snapped a shot from the slot and it was the fastest I had ever seen him shoot a puck. He whipped it top corner in-traffic, it was on and off his stick. Just based on that I thought he would have another high goal scoring season but boy was I wrong.

Stutzle has a crazy shot but in the past years he was missing that quick release. He was often taking too much time to get shots off. Getting the puck, settling it down, and then go for a full on wrister which usually gave the goalie a lot of time to get in position or for opposing players to get position on him. That's what I'm seeing from him this season. He's hesitant when shooting - maybe trying for the perfect shot or trying to find open teammates as opponents converge on him when he's winding his shot.

He needs to get back to the basics and pucks will start to go in for him. He needs to simplify his game, use his teammates on breakouts, and stop playing two steps behind. Drive the middle of the ice with speed and get possession in the Ozone. His teammates need to help him on zone entries too. Tkachuk has not been helping him at all but he did better when playing with Giroux.

I would put Giroux and Joseph back with Stutzle. He needs to have Joseph on his line to be effective because he's the only guy on the team that can play with pace.

Joseph - Stutzle - Giroux
Tkachuk - Pinto - Batherson
Norris - Greig - Tarasenko

This is probably what I'd go with. Hopefully they can bring in another spark plug type of player to replace Tarasenko when he's dealt. That would inject some much needed truculence on this team. They're playing soft as butter.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Objectively no he hasn't

The results are terrible
Well, he specifically has the best GA/60 of anyone on the team that kills penalties and 3rd best (out of 12) xGA/60. Zero PK giveaways, 2nd in blocks/60 on the PK among forwards, leads the team in PK pts/60. One might suggest that objectively speaking, he's not why the results have been terrible.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Well, he specifically has the best GA/60 of anyone on the team that kills penalties and 3rd best (out of 12) xGA/60. Zero PK giveaways, 2nd in blocks/60 on the PK among forwards, leads the team in PK pts/60. One might suggest that objectively speaking, he's not why the results have been terrible.
His numbers are pretty good for a 4th line PK guy. He plays the game the right way. Recent uncharacteristic failed attempt to pass the puck to Chychrun from the boards to the middle of the ice excluded. He is one of the very few guys on the team that hits, takes pucks away, doesn't give it away, blocks shots at good rates. He works hard and can get up and down the ice at a good pace and doesn't hurt you. He plays his role.

Reactions: swiftwin

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
His numbers are pretty good for a 4th line PK guy. He plays the game the right way. Recent uncharacteristic failed attempt to pass the puck to Chychrun from the boards to the middle of the ice excluded. He is one of the very few guys on the team that hits, takes pucks away, doesn't give it away, blocks shots at good rates. He works hard and can get up and down the ice at a good pace and doesn't hurt you. He plays his role.
I'll take him on my team as a 12th forward, gets way too much crap from the fanbase imo, He's the Boro of forwards...

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
One might also suggest that sometimes this is where advanced stats start to go astray.

Everyone on the ice the other was credited with a GA/60 when Calgary scored. But one of the 5 guys caused it and it was Kelly

Blocks. On the PK. There was a goal scored the other night that went between his legs. You remember Watson literally sprawling to block shots and paying the price for it? That play literally looked to me like Kelly was praying "please don't hit me, please don't hit me"

I agree Kelly has been one of the better options in the bottom 6. But sometimes that's got nothing to do with it. He doesn't have a contract which is my point. A lot of guys felt the only reason he made the team was because he had a contract and because of cap problems other guys didn't. They may decide, with a bit more cap flexibility, that some vet at 1.1 is an upgrade on Kelly. On Kastelic too for that matter

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
One might also suggest that sometimes this is where advanced stats start to go astray.

Everyone on the ice the other was credited with a GA/60 when Calgary scored. But one of the 5 guys caused it and it was Kelly

Blocks. On the PK. There was a goal scored the other night that went between his legs. You remember Watson literally sprawling to block shots and paying the price for it? That play literally looked to me like Kelly was praying "please don't hit me, please don't hit me"

I agree Kelly has been one of the better options in the bottom 6. But sometimes that's got nothing to do with it. He doesn't have a contract which is my point. A lot of guys felt the only reason he made the team was because he had a contract and because of cap problems other guys didn't. They may decide, with a bit more cap flexibility, that some vet at 1.1 is an upgrade on Kelly. On Kastelic too for that matter
Meanwhile... Kelly will be in our top 6 tonight on Stü's wing, lol.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Fortunately we can pick and chose what stats to pay attention to and those we can discard as long as they fit your narrative.

Senators goal tenders are allowing 60% more power play goals than we'd expect based on PK chances the penalty killers allow.

Death by PK. And no that doesn't stand for Parker Kelly to those following along at home.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad