OT: TV and Movie Suggestions for the Self Isolated

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
On the subject of space talk...just a few of my favorite channels.

Event Horizon
Cool Worlds
PBS Space Time
David Butler
Anton Petrov
......and many, many more

As previously mentioned, alot of renewed interest in Tabbys star these day, plus Sirius is still relatively low in in the southern sky in the evenings if you're into twinkling. It's a good show.

Further to your post... Webb takes a "selfie" of itself...

'Holy cow!' How the James Webb Space Telescope took a selfie in space | Space

Webb-Space-Telescope-Captures-Selfie-as-It-Aligns-Its-Gold.png

The beginning of the individual mirrors alignment process...

Reactions: kanadalainen

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
As previously mentioned, alot of renewed interest in Tabbys star these day, plus Sirius is still relatively low in in the southern sky in the evenings if you're into twinkling. It's a good show.

Sirius (the Dog star) is a show - I took a break from AP and spent some time doing visual last year trying to spot its tiny double parter, the pup. Its a difficult visual target but can be done with a good optic. I used a 15" Newtonian, with a 1200mm focal length. Tough to dig it out of the massive glare of the big fellow.

Sirius-B-Fabio-v2.jpg

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Sirius (the Dog star) is a show - I took a break from AP and spent some time doing visual last year trying to spot its tiny double parter, the pup. Its a difficult visual target but can be done with a good optic. I used a 15" Newtonian, with a 1200mm focal length. Tough to dig it out of the massive glare of the big fellow.

Sirius-B-Fabio-v2.jpg
WoW! Do you have a 15" Newtonian? Yikes!.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Coens fan here. I laughed re -watching Fargo with directors' commentary on. When the opening screen comes on with the "this story is true, names changes etc" the one brother recalled their conversation at the time "you can't say this is true story!" and the other one just replied "sure I can, why not?"

I laughed because after seeing it in the theater I spent too long googling unsuccessfully for "Brainerd murders" "woodchipper" and many other variations.

Back in the day my old business partner and I loved Fargo to the point that we use to call each other Marg allot. I remember one shift at our Restaurant I was working the door and needed him to clear and set a table to get a group in and as he was finishing up I timed my seating tight. As he walked away I said thanks Margy and the table within ear shot totally got it and started laughing.

Another time we are with the kids sitting poolside in Mexico my wife had lost track of the mini football. It turns out two brothers were playing catch with it in the water and both kids probably had a sun allergies because they had on full upper body long sleeved swin shirts with hoods on their heads and swim googles. When my wife asked where the ball was I said “Karl and Dieter are playing with it” ….she said “who”?? And I said quietly “The Nihilists” (the 8 year olds were dead ringers for them). Anyways about 3 groups of people down the pool this guy spits his beer out and starts laughing really loud. I am looking over to see if he’s ok and he looks at me and Says “Dude”. I guess my voice carries more than I think.

Reactions: Babooch and Jets 31

kanadalainen

Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
WoW! Do you have a 15" Newtonian? Yikes!.

I do!

@kanadalainen ...

Is it an Obssesion Classic ?

If it is... a little better than My young pirate nephew's model...

a8f2ed3d2725.jpeg

:) I used to make my own with cheap glass and mirrors... everyone starts somewhere.

Its not an Obsession, but its a very similar strut brace design, made by Jim Kendrick in Toronto with the main optic ground by Carl Zambuto out of California. Its a great scope, very fast. I use a Paracorr before the eyepiece to fix the slight coma.

Last edited:
Reactions: John Agar

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Celebrity Survivor starting soon, Ray Lewis the early favourite of contestants are allowed knives, no chance he wins without, but the other contestants get to live!

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Jack Reacher show on Amazon is brilliant. It's not high art but watching a man just kick ass for 8 hours is entertaining as hell.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Something else for the Nerds, the History buffs, the closet Explorer want to Be's and the Photographers...

No need to search... click on the Embed...

Big fan of the courage of Shackelton and his crew...

And Frank Worsley was Da' boss for his navigation of the Navigation-of-the-James-Caird-on-the-Shackleton-Expedition.pdf (canterburymuseum.com) ...

Over 600 nautical miles from Elephant Island to South Georgia Island in the very extreme South Atlantic Ocean aka Antarctic Ocean per say...

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Just finished Season 4 of Billions. The characters aren't any more nuanced or well-rounded than Succession, but it has kept our attention. Anyone interested in drama based on the hedge fund industry, power-broking or New York politics should try it out.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Just finished Season 4 of Billions. The characters aren't any more nuanced or well-rounded than Succession, but it has kept our attention. Anyone interested in drama based on the hedge fund industry, power-broking or New York politics should try it out.
Fantastic show!

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

We started Billions, then started Succession and stopped watching Billions all together. Finished the last season of Successions last night, highly recommend it to those that are looking for a new show to enjoy.

Maybe we will get back into Billions now. I did find it a tad corny at times, and not sure how conflict of interest does not play heavily into Giamatti's character.

kanadalainen

Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Something else for the Nerds, the History buffs, the closet Explorer want to Be's and the Photographers...

No need to search... click on the Embed...

Big fan of the courage of Shackelton and his crew...

And Frank Worsley was Da' boss for his navigation of the Navigation-of-the-James-Caird-on-the-Shackleton-Expedition.pdf (canterburymuseum.com) ...

Over 600 nautical miles from Elephant Island to South Georgia Island in the very extreme South Atlantic Ocean aka Antarctic Ocean per say...

Thanks John, great stuff.

More on this:

Endurance22 - The Hunt For Shackleton's Lost Ice Ship

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Jack Reacher show on Amazon is brilliant. It's not high art but watching a man just kick ass for 8 hours is entertaining as hell.

We binged that over the weekend. It was refreshing to see someone not 5'6" portray Reacher. Where did they find Alan Richston, he's huge.

The GF and I have read all of the Reacher books. Quick reads and hard to put down once you get started. Definitely not MENSA stuff but entertaining nonetheless.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
We binged that over the weekend. It was refreshing to see someone not 5'6" portray Reacher. Where did they find Alan Richston, he's huge.

The GF and I have read all of the Reacher books. Quick reads and hard to put down once you get started. Definitely not MENSA stuff but entertaining nonetheless.

It's called believable heroes...

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

I haven't read the books but Cruise as Reacher worked for me. He's not the biggest guy but he has that "crazy" energy that I bought him as an unstoppable force for nature. This guy is on another level though. I wish there were more episodes... I haven't like a "turn your brain and enjoy" type show as much as this... it reminded me of that Bruce Campbell show "Burn Notice" that used to air about 10 years ago.

Reactions: macmaroon

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So after my 5th start and stop I might have finally gotten over the hump on Succession. Once they introduced Ewen Roy (James Cromwell) it got more interesting for me. The Board non confidence vote was not a bad episode but no board member worth their salt would get anywhere near a non confidence vote if it was led by tweedle dum and tweedle dee.

I actually laughed when they hired a corporate therapist as a PR stunt since pretty much every family business I have ever been exposed to needs one. Some of the bit characters are good. I really enjoyed the scene where Stewy lit up Logan in his office for being a dick and having a family of f*** ups that was hurting the stock price. Logan takes the beating very well because he new Stewy was right which also is making me want to stick around.

Shiv is an interesting character since she is Logan’s only child that is anywhere near employable even though she is beautifully flawed. Tom’s character is way overwritten so I have to work around that but I sense that is stylistically intentional for some reason?

I will finish off season 1 over the next few days.

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
So after my 5th start and stop I might have finally gotten over the hump on Succession. Once they introduced Ewen Roy (James Cromwell) it got more interesting for me. The Board non confidence vote was not a bad episode but no board member worth their salt would get anywhere near a non confidence vote if it was led by tweedle dum and tweedle dee.

I actually laughed when they hired a corporate therapist as a PR stunt since pretty much every family business I have ever been exposed to needs one. Some of the bit characters are good. I really enjoyed the scene where Stewy lit up Logan in his office for being a dick and having a family of f*** ups that was hurting the stock price. Logan takes the beating very well because he new Stewy was right which also is making me want to stick around.

Shiv is an interesting character since she is Logan’s only child that is anywhere near employable even though she is beautifully flawed. Tom’s character is way overwritten so I have to work around that but I sense that is stylistically intentional for some reason?

I will finish off season 1 over the next few days.
Tom is the heavy satire part of succession. Don't give up before the episode where his sidekick cousin Greg testifies before Congress. It's worth it.

Reactions: ps241

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
Inventing Anna is a cool (mostly) true story about a Russian fraud who infiltrates NYC high society, the art world, and Wall St. Anna is played by the curly haired blonde hillbilly girl in Ozark. It's not a 5 star production but not bad use of time when -30 out.

Anna's accent is wierd and a bit off-putting. kinda like the dude with the absurdly giant teeth who played Freddy Mercury, just a little distracting from the dialog.

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
Got thru 4 seasons of Yellowstone and most of 1883, really liked both!
I have 2 episodes left of Yellowstone season 1 and don't know if I'll continue with season 2. Does its pace pick up? Don't get me wrong, it's good but I think there are better series out there I could be watching instead. Or maybe Deadwood has spoiled me for all other western style series... :nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad