OT: TV and Movie Suggestions for the Self Isolated

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
This is OT even for this thread, but its interesting. No where to really put it, but here you go. The Webb telescope now has completed the deployment of its main mirrors and sun shield, and as of today is orbiting around Lagrange point 2 (L2 - way beyond the distance of the moon to the earth). It will be snapping deep space shots and peering into the distance "past" for at least the next two decades, even longer if they can figure out how to refuel it.

Webb telescope reaches its final destination far from Earth

d41586-022-00128-0_20066698.png

Can we acquire "other" streams somehow... ?

They could refuel it with windmills... save Space...

:sarcasm:

The question I have... is there public access with regular updates and dialogue describing to what is discovered... ?

I would visit that daily...

And put My nerd glasses and pocket protector on...

:)

OIP.wvvoonqNRCsPbCn0ru1hEwHaHJ

Edit... Duh.. :dunce:.... Webb's Launch GSFC/NASA

trajectoryMapping2.41-NoText-1800px.jpg

Orbital Insertion Burn a Success, Webb Arrives at L2 – James Webb Space Telescope (nasa.gov)

Last edited:

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Can we acquire "other" streams somehow... ?

They could refuel it with windmills... save Space...

:sarcasm:

The question I have... is there public access with regular updates and dialogue describing to what is discovered... ?

I would visit that daily...

And put My nerd glasses and pocket protector on...

:)

You're in good company John. :nod: (As my spouse would say, don't encourage him).

This scope dwarfs the Hubble both in design and reach. Because its orbiting *around* Lagrange 2, it needs to correct itself periodically, hence the need for fuel. I have no doubt that a specialized mission using NASA's design and engineering and perhaps the brute force of Musk's recycle program will keep this sucker looking for as long as there is interest. I get a feed from Nature.com (part of my job) so can update here whenever something big happens, and to fortify our inner geek.
- signed,
Career Nerd

EDIT: Space.com and Nature.com are both good sites for Webbies

For scientists, relief and joy abound as James Webb Space Telescope completes monthlong journey
Landmark Webb observatory is now officially a telescope

d41586-021-03655-4_19973912.png

Reactions: John Agar

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Anybody recommend Yellowjackets yet? It’s very good. And the soundtrack is fantastic if you enjoy mid-90’s music. Season 2 has already been approved (the creators want to do 5 seasons)

Reactions: Truenorthducky

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Just finished it last night. I loved it. Not quite the same as like a Haunting of Hill House but it was really enjoyable. It was a bit slow but I like that. Didn't rely on petty jump scares. Just creepy and unsettling.

We just finished watching the first episode and we are definitely intrigued. Is is just a limited series, just the 8 episodes. We'll have them knocked off by the end of the weekend for sure.

Reactions: irunthepeg

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
We just finished watching the first episode and we are definitely intrigued. Is is just a limited series, just the 8 episodes. We'll have them knocked off by the end of the weekend for sure.

I don't want to give anything away but they could certainly do a second season if they want to. But they could also just end it. It's not a limited series though.

Reactions: ThinIce61

Jetland162702

Pup-peroni Junkie
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
If anyone is into documentaries watch Abducted in plain sight on Netflix , talk about a movie with a absolute tonne of WTF moments , just unreal. Oh and a 2 part documentary on HBO called Leaving Neverland about Michael Jackson, unbelievable. If i had a album of his it would be in the garbage right now is all i'll say.
Watch Abducted in Plain Sight. OMFG. How can anybody be as gullible as that poor kids parents.
This show really should preview the following message:

WARNING: This show contains parents who are complete f*?king morons. Viewer discretion is advised.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Watch Abducted in Plain Sight. OMFG. How can anybody be as gullible as that poor kids parents.
This show really should preview the following message:

WARNING: This show contains parents who are complete f*?king morons. Viewer discretion is advised.
I spent that whole documentary saying WTF and shaking my head, just unbelievable. Why do people like that even have kids ?

Reactions: Jetland162702

Truenorthducky

Oct 10, 2020
Anybody recommend Yellowjackets yet? It’s very good. And the soundtrack is fantastic if you enjoy mid-90’s music. Season 2 has already been approved (the creators want to do 5 seasons)
Great show. Can’t wait for season 2. Love the music as well.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
It's funny how all this mess leads us to branch out...

I'm not a sitcom guy... not a melodrama tv guy... certainly not a soap opera guy...

But strange things happen...

I think it was @Channelcat that mentioned Cobra Kai the series a long ways back...

Then I gave it a gander a week ago...

It's an extension obviously of the Karate Kid movies... with the actual actors playing their original characters...

But a weird mix of Happy Days... Jumpstreet... with excellent screenplay... storytelling with attention to detail... cheese... very good acting... humor and it's very adult...

It's not what you would expect... it's clever...

Give Cobra Kai a try... on Netflix...

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
It's funny how all this mess leads us to branch out...

I'm not a sitcom guy... not a melodrama tv guy... certainly not a soap opera guy...

But strange things happen...

I think it was @Channelcat that mentioned Cobra Kai the series a long ways back...

Then I gave it a gander a week ago...

It's an extension obviously of the Karate Kid movies... with the actual actors playing their original characters...

But a weird mix of Happy Days... Jumpstreet... with excellent screenplay... storytelling with attention to detail... cheese... very good acting... humor and it's very adult...

It's not what you would expect... it's clever...

Give Cobra Kai a try... on Netflix...
Ya, I absolutely loved it. Was great to see all those familiar faces again after so many years. I liked how they made it a comedy, allowing for the absurd storyline. Also the music and the crazy montages were great.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I'm fully on board for whatever the Webb scope brings! Total geek for space stuff. I'm hoping for some insight into that wacky Tabby's Star which is still doing weird shit that dust shouldn't really do.

I love the Beatles, but I gotta say...I made it half way through episode 2 of the doc and bailed. I just felt like it was interesting, but the first part could have been cut down to about 15 minutes and lost really nothing. I don't know...just didn't grab me.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
A common question at group BBQ's from years back, of friends and their friends, and their friends didn't know you, was, "If you could spend a day with anyone, who would it be and why ?...

I would say Anthony Bourdain...

A.B. was so similar in eerie ways... I was never addicted to cocaine, never wrote a Bestseller... but our backgrounds and passions, interests in so many ways were so congruous...

If you have never read Kitchen Confidential... read it... especially if you had ever worked in restaurants for any significant time... was like a mirror to Me...

He was damn cool... for those that admired him, he let us all down...

But I forgive him...

Find the Documentary "Roadrunner" A Film About Anthony Bourdain...

rod.jpeg

One of My favorite lines in the Doc' comes early from Anthony... he's in his kitchen at Les Halles in NYC... he's just learned he's got a best seller with Kitchen Confidential... he's in his Chef whites, just before his shift... his mind is blown, but he's driven to excel and be a winner..

Someone says that's great news to him... and Anthony replies with a cynical look and roll of the eyes and head... He then nods at the kitchen door and says... "Anything beyond that door... I'm suspicious of it"...

If you've worked as a Restaurant Manager or Chef and were good at it... f*** that's a genius statement...

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
A common question at group BBQ's from years back, of friends and their friends, and their friends didn't know you, was, "If you could spend a day with anyone, who would it be and why ?...

I would say Anthony Bourdain...

A.B. was so similar in eerie ways... I was never addicted to cocaine, never wrote a Bestseller... but our backgrounds and passions, interests in so many ways were so congruous...

If you have never read Kitchen Confidential... read it... especially if you had ever worked in restaurants for any significant time... was like a mirror to Me...

He was damn cool... for those that admired him, he let us all down...

But I forgive him...

Find the Documentary "Roadrunner" A Film About Anthony Bourdain...

rod.jpeg

One of My favorite lines in the Doc' comes early from Anthony... he's in his kitchen at Les Halles in NYC... he's just learned he's got a best seller with Kitchen Confidential... he's in his Chef whites, just before his shift... his mind is blown, but he's driven to excel and be a winner..

Someone says that's great news to him... and Anthony replies with a cynical look and roll of the eyes and head... He then nods at the kitchen door and says... "Anything beyond that door... I'm suspicious of it"...

If you've worked as a Restaurant Manager or Chef and were good at it... f*** that's a genius statement...

This was a really influential book to some culinary guys I know. Did you ever gift this book to young people under your watch John?

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
This was a really influential book to some culinary guys I know. Did you ever gift this book to young people under your watch John?

I wish I had...

I didn't read it until around 2005... after I had stepped out of the business...

I did gift "Service That Sells" quite a lot...

19479439._UY630_SR1200,630_.jpg

Reactions: ps241

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Watching “The Tunnel” British version. It’s very good. It’s on CBC Gem but has commercials there so I found an ‘alternate’ source.

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
I have always marked out big time for the Coen Brothers and this was a really cool scene.
Coens fan here. I laughed re -watching Fargo with directors' commentary on. When the opening screen comes on with the "this story is true, names changes etc" the one brother recalled their conversation at the time "you can't say this is true story!" and the other one just replied "sure I can, why not?"

I laughed because after seeing it in the theater I spent too long googling unsuccessfully for "Brainerd murders" "woodchipper" and many other variations.

Reactions: kanadalainen

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
On the subject of space talk...just a few of my favorite channels.

Event Horizon
Cool Worlds
PBS Space Time
David Butler
Anton Petrov
......and many, many more

As previously mentioned, alot of renewed interest in Tabbys star these day, plus Sirius is still relatively low in in the southern sky in the evenings if you're into twinkling. It's a good show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad