GDT: Tuesday in Denver: Flames at Avs 7PM MT on SNF

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The amount of effort we need to put into earning a goal vs. the amount of effort the other team needs to put into earning a goal is just astounding.

It's insane right? I'm happy I'm not the only person noticing it. This team has to put a ton of work just to score a goal, it just comes so easy again Calgary.

Also, I thought Dougie had an okay game actually, he skated well, drew a penalty and even defended okay. I think Wideman was horrible, I think that it's time to send a message and move him. He scores a lot, but he's reverted back to old-timey Wideman on the defensive end. I think Calgary needs some kind of shake up. Last year most teams snoozed by them and got dummied, this year no one's taking them lightly and it's showing. The goaltending also leaves something to be desired.

I have no idea really. There's something that needs to give. I don't think you need to make a massive splash but I think you need to shake the roster somehow, these guys just don't seem to care. At least when we were losing a few years back, we were doing it by working hard and playing tough. This team's as soft as butter and are so fragile they belong in a china shop.

TkachuckNotTkaczuk

Jan 21, 2015
Seattle
Wow, where's a person start? The good, Brodie, Bennett, Gaudreau and to a certain degree Engeland. The bad, the rest of the team except Ortio, he did a good job in his limited role from the bench.

I would throw Gaudreau in with the bad(this game only, don't get me wrong), he did have jump and some great plays but he also was trying to do too much at times. I think he has it in his head that he himself has to lift this team up, whereas it has been mostly everyone else this season and certainly not him. This game he lost the puck a few times, tried the wrap around too many times and chose to do that instead of taking the puck to the net on one of the plays when he had lots of room to make a move on the goalie in front. Like I say he seems to feel like it is up to him and it looks like he is starting to over think things. But overall he has been one of a very few bright spots this season.

Goalies, well they suck, what more can I say? Rebound control has been horrible and teams have picked up on that and are just shooting. But now it's not just the rebound control, it is the initial saves that aren't happening.

Defense has been horrendous and think 4 guys could use a game or two in the pressbox. Gio has been a disaster, Wideman, Russell and Hamilton, although I think Hamilton is starting to feel more comfortable.

Now, a big part of our game is about getting in the shooting lanes, blocking that initial shot but with how bad our goaltending has been the opposition has figured out to just throw the puck at the net, don't wait and try to open up a better shooting lane, just get it off and it will sometimes go in or get a good rebound for your forwards to work with.

As a piece of work? Just horrible!

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
It's insane right? I'm happy I'm not the only person noticing it. This team has to put a ton of work just to score a goal, it just comes so easy again Calgary.

I wrote earlier about this, can't remeber the games anymore. Opponent hadn't had a shot in ten minutes and as soon as commentators say this there's a fluke goal or goal caused by simple mistake by the Flames' player. In another game the goal attempts were 6-2 to Flames and guess what happens next...

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Who's #11? Seems weird to leave it out. Is that like a superstition like not having a 13th floor in a building?

Gotta think Dougie's scratched for next game. That empty net goal was just embarrassing. Bring Nakladal in and put Dougie in the press box.

I really don't see how people are blaming an empty net goal on the defenseman who was in no position to do anything more than he did. Seriously, why would you scratch Hamilton based on that goal?

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
I really don't see how people are blaming an empty net goal on the defenseman who was in no position to do anything more than he did. Seriously, why would you scratch Hamilton based on that goal?

Exactly this. It's just a plain ****ing ridiculous thought. People have to learn how to visualize the whole play instead of being blindly limited to what they see right away.

Getting pretty sick of the Byron thing too. I know most are just joking about him but some are actually serious that we'd be a better with him on the team.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
I'd agree with this, but I also do get frustrated at times. His lack of speed does sometimes kill plays, and his lack of hands in tight as well. But overall, there isn't much to complain about. He's an effective player in spite of any shortcomings.

Well that's the thing. I don't think he's even solid at everything. He's got some strengths, which you noted, but he's below average at a lot of things. His shot is a muffin, his speed unremarkable, and he's one of the least physical forwards on a team with Sean Monahan and Johnny Gaudreau. Unlike Backlund, he doesn't have that nifty ability to get the puck into the zone either.

That's funny because I considered Frolik to be one of the better skating forwards on the team. The only better skating forwards than him are Jooris, Bennett, and maybe Gaudreau.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
We might as well fold the team.

Gaudreau & Monahan for Byron straight across.
Only reason we're losing is his 10 minutes of energy mang.

But seriously, this team needs some work.

I think it's apparent Monahan isn't a top C in this league at the moment; and playing with Gaudreau had a lot to do with his goal totals from last year. He can't win a faceoff, he's not excellent defensively as some people might lead you to believe and he's really not a great puck handler. He's pretty much a scoring centre. He's super young still, and luckily the areas he's weak in come with age; I still believe he'll get to a really solid point in his career. Hudler's been fairly bad. It's one thing to put up some points, its another thing to put up meaningful points and play 200 feet.

Really the top three so far have been Gaudreau, Bennett & Brodie. Which in all reality is good news; a 1LW, a 1C and a 1D; all under 25 (Bennett isn't a 1C yet, but he sure played like it last night)... Not much you can complain about with those three moving forward.

What's really hurting us is the back-end, goaltending and the back-check. Ramo looked solid to start the game, and I was like YAY! Then he kind of fizzled out as we let the Avs pepper him with shots. Even the Captain's looking bad, last night unless he was paired with Brodie, he looked lost out there. I think it's best for Calgary to keep those two together, as I don't think Giordano can hold down a #1 job without Brodie.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Because Wodeman would of thrown his face in front of the puck to stop that shot. Clearly Hamilton is an uppity loser with no family values who only 'tried' to stop the shot but really didn't care.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Because Wodeman would of thrown his face in front of the puck to stop that shot. Clearly Hamilton is an uppity loser with no family values who only 'tried' to stop the shot but really didn't care.

Wideman should have thrown his face in front of the 4 goals that went in prior to that while he was on the ice.

And if we're calling a spade a spade, Ramo wouldn't have stopped that shot either.

Shawnofthedeadz

Jan 18, 2013
somehow Brodie stays +3 on the night

I was wondering how this happened too. Lets just play Brodie all 60 minutes. Seems to be the only player on the team who can play hockey right now. Probably would be better then everyone else still.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It all boils down to defensive-zone play.

Last year, there was a lot of it, but it was good.

This year, there's less of it, but it's ungood.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
rdIsTE2.gif

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011

I don't think Hamilton should be sat because of the empty net goal. But it was a loose puck in the crease with nobody around. He should have been able to clear it. It had no affect on the game whatsoever (I'm even happy Iggy got one more closer to 600!) but it's an embarrassing play by a struggling player.

He's a young defenseman who isn't adjusting to a new system, it's understandable, but we need him being productive! Let him watch from up top for a game or two and come back with maybe a better understanding of what Hartley's wanting. The same move worked for Johnny and Wideman, why wouldn't it work for him?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
No blame to Ham-slice on the ENG. The puck looked like it was going in, then looked like it was going wide. Even if he realized it was going to hit the post, there's no way to predict the trajectory of the ricochet. Didn't look good, but it was an extremely awkward play, so that's not surprising. Wideman would have made it moot if he kept his legs going and didn't lose a race followed by a battle.

But really, I don't see a lot of individual blame to go around in this game in general. We had 5-man units playing out of sync and taking shifts off which led to our goals against. That short-handed goal is basically the classic example. I think all 5 guys on the ice made a fundamental mistake on the shift.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
No blame to Ham-slice on the ENG. The puck looked like it was going in, then looked like it was going wide. Even if he realized it was going to hit the post, there's no way to predict the trajectory of the ricochet. Didn't look good, but it was an extremely awkward play, so that's not surprising. Wideman would have made it moot if he kept his legs going and didn't lose a race followed by a battle.

But really, I don't see a lot of individual blame to go around in this game in general. We had 5-man units playing out of sync and taking shifts off which led to our goals against. That short-handed goal is basically the classic example. I think all 5 guys on the ice made a fundamental mistake on the shift.
It's almost a form of art the way everything just broke down all at once on that shift.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
I did enjoy seeing us play like FC Barcelona of hockey in the first period. Just toyed with their defense with the puck.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Honestly, we are playing muchhhh better the last few games.

I mean we aren't going to win every game. But at least the process is there, the team looks hungry again.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

I mean we aren't going to win every game. But at least the process is there, the team looks hungry again.

I agree. Unfortunately, results affect perspective. Were a game like this to snap a 5-game winning streak, everyone would be in a relatively good mood. Right now, we can't afford to lose games through lack of focus. We can't afford to waste chances that we earned and give up goals that they didn't.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011

Playing muchhhh better is relative though. We're still giving up 4+ goals per game even with Brodie back. There are MAJOR problems and while it's good to see more scoring chances each game, there is some serious underlying issues that need to be addressed, and I personally would start with goaltending.

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC

Playing better, sure. The effort is there I guess. Still giving up 4+ goals per game. Still not getting much help from either the defense or goaltending. It really is unacceptable at this point. I don't care that we're rebuiliding. Giving up over 4 goals a game is absolutely pathetic, no matter how you slice it.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
We registered a whopping 6 hits last night. E Johnson had 6 by himself. We need our blue collar game back.

I actually thought Monahan hasn't been that bad this year, his biggest flaw is trying to make the cutesy tap passes everytime he enters the zone, that's gotta end. But other than that, he's gotten his share of chances and he's trying for the most part. The flood gates should open for him soon.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
We registered a whopping 6 hits last night. E Johnson had 6 by himself. We need our blue collar game back.

I actually thought Monahan hasn't been that bad this year, his biggest flaw is trying to make the cutesy tap passes everytime he enters the zone, that's gotta end. But other than that, he's gotten his share of chances and he's trying for the most part. The flood gates should open for him soon.

Having Bouma back will be very helpful, but guys like Jones, Jooris, Bollig, even Backlund should be getting 2-4 hits each per game. I wonder if everyone thinks they need to be the offensive catalyst for the team so nobody's focusing on their actual roles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad