TSN Top-50 Players

TheRexman

Just have fun
Jul 5, 2015
Quebec City
Who cares what a bunch of posters on here think. Yes, there may be some experts that post here that are better hockey minds but the ones claiming Matthews doesn't belong top 10 sure aren't a part of that group.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Agreed. And it goes beyond the media too. This board has had a reversal on Kessel since he left the Leafs.

He went from the ungrateful, petulant, overrated child to everyones favourite silly uncle within months.

Yep. HFBoards did a complete 180 on Kessel. They all seem to love him now.

They couldn't even agree that he was better than players like James Neal when he was on the Leafs because Neal was a "40 goal scorer, had grit, physicality and knew where the defensive zone was."

I guess people forgot all the memes that constantly made fun of Kessel now that he's no longer on the Leafs.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Agreed. And it goes beyond the media too. This board has had a reversal on Kessel since he left the Leafs.

He went from the ungrateful, petulant, overrated child to everyones favourite silly uncle within months.
It's embarrassing how much people have flip-flop on Kessel. Bump up old threads on here. People hated him.
Now it's "Bias" that he isn't in the top 50. Huh? The guy's stats are way down from when he was on the Leafs and he was seen as a joke back then.

Last edited:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Wait are people trying to suggest that Kessel was over rated as a leaf? Top 3-5 scorer for years and was just crucified on a daily basis.

As much as fans of small market teams are upset about the attention the leafs get. It's mostly negative. Acting like leaf players are over rated in the media is just wrong.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Wait are people trying to suggest that Kessel was over rated as a leaf? Top 3-5 scorer for years and was just crucified on a daily basis.

As much as fans of small market teams are upset about the attention the leafs get. It's mostly negative. Acting like leaf players are over rated in the media is just wrong.

I'd actually say the Leafs get the extremes of both cases, largely because of the media scrutiny.

If a player does well on a winning team, he's praised like he's the second coming. If a player does poorly or his team struggles with him as the leading player, he gets crucified.

I don't think there's a middle ground when it comes to Leaf players. They're either the greatest ever or locker room cancers who drag teams to failure, with nothing in between.

Reactions: NickLidstrom

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I'd actually say the Leafs get the extremes of both cases, largely because of the media scrutiny.

If a player does well on a winning team, he's praised like he's the second coming. If a player does poorly or his team struggles with him as the leading player, he gets crucified.

I don't think there's a middle ground when it comes to Leaf players. They're either the greatest ever or locker room cancers who drag teams to failure, with nothing in between.

That's why it is hard to buy the "Leafs Player are so overrated by the media" with what happened to Kessel and Phaneuf. It feels like all criticism goes away the second they leave.

The Kessel criticism went way overboard. And I don't think Matthews getting named 10th overall is overrating him. Just wait till the season starts. He will be one of the top scorers and is a franchise C.

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region

Matthews just had the best rookie centre season since Crosby, its being treated as such. Most goals American born rookie ever. Best Leaf rookie season ever. Single handedly turned our team around.

He is the second coming as far as Leafs fans are concerned.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
I don't doubt he'll get there soon, but right now guys like Tavares and Doughty are both better.
As others have said, this list is a projection for the season. Matthews season last year as a rookie was on par with both of Tavares' last two seasons from a point production POV. I think its perfectly reasonable to expect Matthews to pull ahead of him this year, even if it is marginal.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Matthews 10th, Laine 26th.

This is the most biased listing I have seen in a long time. Absolutely terrible. Not reliable.

Still think that? Maybe TSN wasn't biased but just knew what they were talking about.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Matthews will be top-5 next year, possibly top-3. Already one of the best players in the world.

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
Matthews still not top10 player. Guys like McD Crosby Barkov Malkin Kane Karlsson Kucherov Scheif Getz Benn are definitely better.

Reactions: Iceman

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Matthews will be top-5 next year, possibly top-3. Already one of the best players in the world.

Since he scored 40 goals last year he obviously was and I don't see a problem with him repeating, at least point wise.

Other than that, would does he need to do this year to be top-5/top-3 next year as you are campaigning for?

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Matthews still not top10 player. Guys like McD Crosby Barkov Malkin Kane Karlsson Kucherov Scheif Getz Benn are definitely better.

there are a lot of guys in this list that dont even come close.

Mark schiefele prime example number 1.

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
People on here horribly overrate defensive play. I have xseen it over and over.
In fact, before the Toews backlash there were plenty of people arguing Toews was better "Overall" than Crosby. And Karlsson was laughably underrated until they could not make the embarrsaing "Defensive" arguments anymore.

I don't think people were saying Toews was a better player than Crosby but I remember talk of being a better leader/captain. As far as defense being over-rated that's foolish and stated by people who just look at G and A and the leader board and say those are the best. That's not an indepth analysis of a players value. Look at a players overall deployment of zone starts, TOI, PP and PK and you start getting a better picture of why some players have more points than others.

Sigh

At half mast
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
www.galenwestonjr.ca
Is that more ridiculous than hearing John Garrett pick the Canucks to win the cup every single year? Have you listened to the crap that comes out of some areas outside of Toronto?
Saying Matthews is better is not really as controversial as you are making it out to be. The biggest homer BY FAR on TSN last year was Gary Lawless-A Jets fan from Winnipeg.
Yeah man. It must be really tough to be a Leaf fan in Canada. Probably as tough as being white and christian. Get a grip, Roger.

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
Matthews is definitely better than Price, Kane, Karlsson, Kucherov, Burns, and Hedman. Seems like TSN actually underrated him.

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
Price at #5 is ridiculous. Keep hearing him being referred to as the best goalie in hockey but WTF has he done that makes him better than a guy like Bobrovsky? Especially since he has only 1 Vezina compared to Bob's 2 Vezina.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
There's about 35-40 players on there that Giroux is better than. Very laughable list...

Tavares is not and never was better than Giroux but he's #13? Haha okayyy..... and Marner? Really? Marner better than Giroux?

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Backstrom and Giroux are about as even as it gets, edge Giroux for not playing with Ovy... one is #12 one isn't on that list.

Can we all at least agree Giroux is the most Underrated player in the world?

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
There's about 35-40 players on there that Giroux is better than. Very laughable list...

Tavares is not and never was better than Giroux but he's #13? Haha okayyy..... and Marner? Really? Marner better than Giroux?

That's why I am generally against ranking players. I prefer tiers but whatever.

In the lists defence though wasn't this about who they thought would be better this year? I mean Marner beat Giroux in points last year and most pundits expected growth this year for him. Obviously it has not gone that way so far but I suppose the season is still early.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad