TSN Overdrive (and other Toronto Sports Media)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca

Drive home, McCown goes from a 6.4 to a 5.5 and an 8.5 to a 6.3 down a whack from 10.1 and 14.8 a year ago. Someone will have to tell me the last time Bob had a 5.5 in a major book. TSN improved from a 1.5 to a 1.7 which is steady with last year in the older demo. Surprisingly they lost .8 in the younger demo.

Reactions: NoTouchIcing

CalEh

Oct 28, 2017
Manhattan Beach, California
I think some people are missing the point with O'Dog. He knows he had a great career as a professional athlete and I'm sure he knows he has a great gig at TSN. His constant complaints are more of a joke/persona than anything else.

Keep in mind that the demands and pressures of a Pro Athlete are probably much higher than the average job. O''Dog lived this, and if he wants to take the odd day off in his radio career, I think he's earned that.

O'Dog often talk about the guys who grind it out at work day to day. He talks of his brother who is a Cop, and how his Dad is a blue collar guy. I'm sure he understands he has it pretty good. And the reason he does the show is to bring a little laughter/joy/entertainment to the average guy who is grinding it out. I know that's why I tune in.

This is exactly it.

I've had some encounters with Jeff. It's definitely an act. He's a good man.

Reactions: airgordo

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Or Bagels
Off the record.. they stole that idea from some one else who pitched it to them.

Also for someone who sells energy drinks and is on his mental health crusade he should know those things can cause panic attacks in susceptible individuals.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
McCown is terrible, sometimes unlistenable IMO. He rambles, long pauses, fake badass shtick, gaps in knowledge, and long stretches going on about non-sports stuff.

I'm a Toronto sports fan looking for some good sports talk on my drive home, and I try but can't listen. You don't get it on PTS. For the life of me I can't imagine who likes that show.

Reactions: RedRenegade

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Tsn radio related .. Lansbergs been getting on my nerves. Maybe he should lay off the energy drinks.
I think Landsberg is too into himself to get along with a lot of people. Cauz's presence makes him more tolerable. A few weeks ago Cauz or whoever was with Landsberg was throwing out names of people Landsberg has worked with and Landsberg was saying whether they got along or not. I was really surprised to hear him talk about how many he didn't like. It was a strange segment.

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
McCown is terrible, sometimes unlistenable IMO. He rambles, long pauses, fake badass shtick, gaps in knowledge, and long stretches going on about non-sports stuff.

I'm a Toronto sports fan looking for some good sports talk on my drive home, and I try but can't listen. You don't get it on PTS. For the life of me I can't imagine who likes that show.
It used to be good when he would have callers for the first hour, he'd lay into people he thought were dumb. It was entertaining.

but now, compared to OverDrive, it ain't shit.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I think Landsberg is too into himself to get along with a lot of people. Cauz's presence makes him more tolerable. A few weeks ago Cauz or whoever was with Landsberg was throwing out names of people Landsberg has worked with and Landsberg was saying whether they got along or not. I was really surprised to hear him talk about how many he didn't like. It was a strange segment.
His ego is simply too big to get along with others. It says more about him than who he worked with, honestly.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If there is one criticism of OverDrive it would be this. During the months of July and August both O'Neil and McLennan are not on. So I wonder what their ratings are during that time because you also have to factor in how the majority of what they talk is about is Leafs related, compared to the amount of Raptors and Blue Jays talk they sometimes throw in. Say what you want about McCown because at least he is on 12 months a year, with the exceptions of his many vacations he always seems to be on.

Reactions: bax

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
If there is one criticism of OverDrive it would be this. During the months of July and August both O'Neil and McLennan are not on. So I wonder what their ratings are during that time because you also have to factor in how the majority of what they talk is about is Leafs related, compared to the amount of Raptors and Blue Jays talk they sometimes throw in. Say what you want about McCown because at least he is on 12 months a year, with the exceptions of his many vacations he always seems to be on.

Their non-hockey talk when they are on, feels a bit forced and unnatural, so I don't really mind the break they take in the summer.

But I totally get your point. People tune in more for the personalities and the content, and when they aren't there, you'd expect there to be some hit in ratings.

Personally I really like Hayes so I tune in when I can, regardless of who he has on with him. But it's an infinitely less interesting show when those guys aren't on with him.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Their non-hockey talk when they are on, feels a bit forced and unnatural, so I don't really mind the break they take in the summer.

But I totally get your point. People tune in more for the personalities and the content, and when they aren't there, you'd expect there to be some hit in ratings.

Personally I really like Hayes so I tune in when I can, regardless of who he has on with him. But it's an infinitely less interesting show when those guys aren't on with him.
I agree that if it's just Hayes by himself during the summer months he's a very good host.

Also on Wednesday's when they have Gerry's Percentages but when Gerry e-mails the questions which means O'Neil is not there since he does the voice, I turn off the segment because it's not the same without him.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010

Ya that's a good point, Noodles knows next to nothing about anything other than hockey, unless it's useless general knowledge as I learned during quiz night v2.0. Hayes is very knowledgeable so he can carry a show that isn't hockey-centric. O'Neill is somewhere in between, he knows a lot of about golf.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada

That's a good question, would love to see the answer to that. I don't mind PTS at all, I just prefer Hayes as a host.Personally I used to love when Leafs lunch ended and the Hayes show kicked in and he went on one of his long rants. Guy is top notch and hopefully will just keep building his fan base and ratings. Overdrive with or without Noodles and O'Dog for me.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Ya that's a good point, Noodles knows next to nothing about anything other than hockey, unless it's useless general knowledge as I learned during quiz night v2.0. Hayes is very knowledgeable so he can carry a show that isn't hockey-centric. O'Neill is somewhere in between, he knows a lot of about golf.

Outside of golf Odog talks like he knows a lot about other sports but really doesn't. IMO they should split the show into 3 distinct segments.
-hour 1 leafs talk ie: last game, news from the leafs,
-hour 2 NHL talk including ferraro's segment which is about 20-25 mins.
-hour 3 other sports news and odog and noodles can go home after hour 2 they add nothing to other sports anyway, and they have to go do TV a lot of the time etc

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
Outside of golf Odog talks like he knows a lot about other sports but really doesn't. IMO they should split the show into 3 distinct segments.
-hour 3 other sports news and odog and noodles can go home after hour 2 they add nothing to other sports anyway, and they have to go do TV a lot of the time etc

I'd be on board with that format!

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I said this before and I will say it again. During hour 2 on Wednesday's Gerry's Percentages is a must listen to segment.

Reactions: Anthrax442

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I said this before and I will say it again. During hour 2 on Wednesday's Gerry's Percentages is a must listen to segment.

yeah that's fine, it can still fit in the "NHL hour" they are mostly NHL %'s anyway and a few other sports thrown in are ok, its when those 2 have to sit a discuss other sports they are noticeably out of their element

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca

Who cares about other sports anyway. THat's why you have guest experts to talk about that stuff.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
There's alot of mouths to feed on a sports radio show. The fact that they concentrate on hockey in canada shouldn't surprise anyone.
If in your opinion they don't concentrate enough on other sports, that's perfectly fine to think. However the options are aplenty in regards to podcasts/radio.
I've got an NFL and MLB podcast I listen to a fair bit to fill that need.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Noodles may not know much about sports other than hockey, but it seems like he knows every pro athlete in North America and has partied with him/her before.
He's also far and away the most level headed and most analytical hockey guy in sports talk radio (as a host).
Ray's segment is the best breakdown of sports you can get on AM radio as well.

I won't lie, I enjoy listening to PTS on podcast as well, but that's for a look into not only other sports, but alternative looks into the major sports as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad