TSN: Meeting is under way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeymistress

Oct 9, 2004
JWI19 said:
Come on boys GET IT DONE. With Wayne and Mario leading the charge i think it will be done.

The superstars of hockey will bring this game back. But not just Mario and Wayne. JR, Pronger and Iginla for pretty much going around Goodenow last week. Yzerman for being the voice of reason after the season was called. And A lot of other people deserve credit too names will find out later one.

Who will be negotiating the actual deal? Who has the authority to do that? Mario and Wayne are not laywers or negotiators, and both are owners.

If Goodenow is not involved, they still need a negotiator in the talks.

Even if the intent of Mario and Wayne is to "save the game," once they get there, they will probably be shocked at what a mess they are looking at. Intent and ability are two different things.

Just saying don't get your hopes up just yet.
H.

WickedBruinsGirl

May 1, 2003
Cambridge
Ted Saskin is probably at the meeting. He flew to NY yesterday. Trevor Linden, Mike Gartner and Bill Guerin are there also (according to various articles).

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
"First point on the agenda, we need a synonym for uncancel"

The hype I think helps, otherwise can you believe the beating the nHL would get in the press for failing a second time?

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
How would people feel if they come out of this saying "Look, we have a deal, but it will take a while to put it all together and we still won't play this year, but we'll definitely be back in September"?

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
PitkanenPower said:
How would people feel if they come out of this saying "Look, we have a deal, but it will take a while to put it all together and we still won't play this year, but we'll definitely be back in September"?

Best case scenario, in my opinion.

Mats

Jul 27, 2003
Visit site
PitkanenPower said:

Very surprised. There's no incentive for the league to take that approach. They'll be looking at an injured sport and a more unpredictable marketplace.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
PitkanenPower said:

People probably wouldnt be too happy, but they'd be a lot happier knowing that next season would definately happen, rather than going through all this again in September.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
PitkanenPower said:

Disappointed that we won't get anything out of this 'season,' but aware that it's probably the best scenario for the NHL.

mooseOAK*

PitkanenPower said:
I think that they would prefer to start next season without the stench of a cancelled one around it.

Crows*

I thinkt they want a deal to play this season on the base of trying these new rules.

As bettman said in his press conference, a shortened season is a perfect opportunity to test these new rules.

I wouldn't like to go into a full season next year with just new rules flying everywhere. it could turn out to be a mess.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Ok, is there really a Press Conference that's been called or is everyone stipulating? If there is, when is it?

Jaysfanatic*

MasterD said:
Ok, is there really a Press Conference that's been called or is everyone stipulating? If there is, when is it?

:dunno: I haven't heard anything of a press conference?

IslesRule

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
PitkanenPower said:

I can't imagine that this would be the result if they are as close as we all believe (or hope). Announcing a deal in the next day or two and saying they won't play until next year is no better than announcing a deal in August. I really believe that the players realize what happened, that the owners are serious, and a deal that doesn't include playing this season will be at a much lower cap number. The league can derive some benefit by playing. First the rule changes will be implemented, and in a short season can be evaluated fairly. Second, the cup will be awarded, this MUST.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
PitkanenPower said:

If that were the case, they wouldn't be rushing to New York over a weekend to get things done. Makes no sense for either side if the endgame is waiting until September to start things up again. No, the only explanation for what's happening now is they have a deal and they're dotting all the Is and crossing all the Ts (or is dotting the Ts and crossing the Is?) or they're very close to that point in order to start a season ASAP.

Last edited:

Vapour Trail

I don't see how they could possibly strike a deal and implement it next year unless it's drastically different from the 45M that has been thrown around. Having a deal for next year does very little to mitigate the current and future damage to revenues - no way the league commits to 45M without linkage, and that's basically starting from square 1.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
FAN 590 is speculating that the league is preparing a new deal, and that talks should probably go into the afternoon

its going to be a long day...

Crows*

Hmmm Crap I don't want to go to work! I want to stay and follow everything during the day.

Working 5-9 EST 2-6 Pacific time.

Think theyl still be meeting by 6 Pacific?

flybynite77

Mar 1, 2003
Visit site
They should do the whole Pope Election smoke thing. When they take a vote for a new Pope and none has enough votes they burn black smoke, then finally when they elect the Pope they burn white smoke.

They should be doing that here to keep fans updated... Black Smoke/No agreement yet. White Smoke=Season ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad