TSN: Meeting is under way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CH Wizard

Lou said:
"I've said all along that the most important thing is coming to an agreement," said New Jersey Devils CEO and GM Lou Lamoriello. "Even after the season was cancelled it was just so important to get together as soon as possible

Lou's DA MAN !

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
I wonder if anything has ever been uncancelled before.
The NHL will always be rembered as the silly league that cancels a season and 3 days later uncancells it. (if it gets done)

Duff88

May 7, 2002
Chileiceman said:
The NHL will always be rembered as the silly league that cancels a season and 3 days later uncancells it. (if it gets done)

Didn't Bettman say in his press conference that he'd be more than proud to come back and un-cancel the season if it was ever going to happen?

ResidentAlien*

Chileiceman said:

I don't think I have even heard that word before!

Stevie Y just coined a new word that hopefully gets put in websters...

uncancelled. (v)
to pull ones head out of ones arse to save a great game

Mats

Jul 27, 2003
Visit site
Chileiceman said:

People ten years from now won't remember that.

They will, however, remember 10 years from now that the NHL was the silly league that cancelled an entire season and did incredible damage to itself in the process.

Much like Betman, I'd prefer the short term humiliation.

ATLANTARANGER*

I think Lou is a fine GM

The Great One said:
Lou's DA MAN !
But, he has failed and failed big time in marketing the devils. Their attendance continues to go down and as a team their losses continue. His lastest marketing plan of stickingit to devil season ticket holders is just another of his poor PR attempts. You don't telll the season ticket holders, fine you want a refund now that the season is canceled, OK, you lose your rights to them. What I really don't understand (please don't confuse me with Bettman) is why Lou increased the devils payroll to $62M in the year of the lockout. That made no sense. I mean, even the Rangers got the message!

NYFAN

Jul 8, 2004
Long Island
All they will remember is that it took Gretzky and Mario to get this deal done. The superstars who saved hockey!

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
ATLANTARANGER said:
But, he has failed and failed big time in marketing the devils. Their attendance continues to go down and as a team their losses continue. His lastest marketing plan of stickingit to devil season ticket holders is just another of his poor PR attempts. You don't telll the season ticket holders, fine you want a refund now that the season is canceled, OK, you lose your rights to them. What I really don't understand (please don't confuse me with Bettman) is why Lou increased the devils payroll to $62M in the year of the lockout. That made no sense. I mean, even the Rangers got the message!
Maybe Lou knew about the 24% rollback??? Or maybe...

Mats

Jul 27, 2003
Visit site
NYFAN said:
All they will remember is that it took Gretzky and Mario to get this deal done. The superstars who saved hockey!

There have been lots of people who felt the owners' argument had more weight than the players' argument saying for months now that Gretzky and Lemieux might be the only ones capable of getting the current financial landscape of the NHL over to the players.

It's about time these two stepped up and became involved in the process, adding their credibility to it. One of the main arguments from the players' side is that they don't trust the ownership. Gretzky and Lemieux make that a moot point.

I really don't think Linden is receiving enough credit, which I'm sure is fine with him. He's going to be the one I'll be holding up a thank you sign for at the game. If there are games.

ChiHawks468

Jan 19, 2005
Aurora, IL
x-bob said:
But as of now, no such deal exists.

This is what I don't like :help:

There is a huge difference between an "agreement in priciple" and a "done deal". This is true, as of now, no such deal does exist. However, by later today or tomorrow? Who knows...my money is on that there is.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
NYFAN said:

Again.

jacketracket*

Un-effin'-believable!!

Wouldn't it be something if after all the high-priced meat involved in the negotiating process so far, Deadline-dealin' Bob and stone-faced Gary, the season --- and perhaps the league itself --- is saved by some poor schmuck reporter who thought to ask Bettman what the league would have done if offered a $45 mil cap by the NHLPA?

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
It's great that we keep hearing about the magic number of $45 million cap, but there are sooooooo many questions that need answers. Where to begin:

- Is it a hard cap?

- Is it like the NHLPA's cap, with ways of moving above 45 M?

- Is there a salary floor?

- Is there linkage of any kind?

- Is the 24 per cent rollback still in?

- What's the status of salary arbitration? Still just players taking owners, two-way or can they scrap it possibly?

- Has the UFA age changed from 31?

- Are there any changes to RFA status, and is there a plan in place to prevent holdouts?

- Is there a deadline to sign your players before training camp starts?

- Have both sides agreed on Entry Level salaries and bonuses, and have they both decided to throw the rookies under the bus?

- What changes to the game currently being exhibited in the AHL will be used in the "New NHL"?

- Are all 30 owners prepared to play with a 45 million cap, and if not who isn't and what are their plans for the future?

- Will teams be given a window of opportunity to scale down to 45 million if they're already over budget?

- Who signs which current UFA and for how much?

- Which grizzled vet will decide to retire, if any, and will all future HOFs currently looking for work find a job for 28 games (i.e. Mark Messier, Ron Francis, Al MacInnis, etc.)?

- What happens to the June 1 deadline for signing 2003 draftees? Does it still remain intact this year?

- What happens in Europe? What happens to Ilya Kovalchuk's contract and others that were reportedly one-way guaranteed deals?

- What happens to Todd Bertuzzi? Is the suspension lifted right away?

- What happens to Alexander Perezhogin? Will he come over to play in Montreal or remain in Russia?

So many questions, so little time for answers.

officeglen

Oct 6, 2002
Eastern Ontario
Visit site
Jag68Vlady27 said:
Which grizzled vet will decide to retire, if any, and will all future HOFs currently looking for work find a job for 28 games (i.e. Mark Messier, Ron Francis, Al MacInnis, etc.)?
To help out with your questions, as part of league rebranding (the "we're game now" campaign) grizzled vets will be asked to shave.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Come on boys GET IT DONE. With Wayne and Mario leading the charge i think it will be done.

The superstars of hockey will bring this game back. But not just Mario and Wayne. JR, Pronger and Iginla for pretty much going around Goodenow last week. Yzerman for being the voice of reason after the season was called. And A lot of other people deserve credit too names will find out later one.

Whakahere

Jan 27, 2004
Germany
Brindfan said:
GO WAYNE!!! GO MARIO!!!

They should have taken an enforcer with them to smack around any trouble makers.

lol Wayne is still good friends with marty isn't he? Any news he has joined the meeting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->